Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've had my egolf a few months now and have been primarily charging it at home on my podpoint 7kw/h charger.
I wanted to ask if anyone knew how long it would take to charge the e-golf using a type 2 22kw/h charger that you sometimes see around london (a type 2, not a CCS)

I had free access to one the other day and plugged it in (however my car was approx 80% charged already) and it seemed the same speed as when i connect it to a 7kw/h charger.

Does anyone know if the golf actually charges quicker with the 22kw/h on a type 2, or do you have to be using a CCS charger to get faster speeds?
(I tried googling this but not helpful, doesn't help that no where in the car can you see the speed or voltage of your charge, just the estimated charging time left.)

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Charging from AC, your eGolf will use its own onboard charger. If the onboard charger is a single phase 7 kW device, your eGolf maximum charging speed will be 7kW. The 22kW public charger will be 3 phase each phase rated at 7kW. Your eGolf only has a single phase charger so cannot make full use of the 22kW 3 phase supply.

When you charge using CCS, the onboard charger is entirely bypassed and the roadside charger supplies DC directly into your battery.

·
Registered
17,453 Posts
Most cars will only charge on AC at 7 kW.

The only cars that come as standard with a 22 kW on-board charger are the Zoe and Smart EV.

Some older Teslas will do it.

In the future more EVs will have three phase charging as an option, so these posts are useful.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
To learn about your car, especially how it charges, probably best to get an OBDII dongle and get an App on your phone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
While OBDElven will tell you how fast the car is charging in real time, it will not tell you the maximum speed, unless you try charging at multiple EVSEs to observe the max speed the car can take. It is much easier to lift the hood and look at the power rating of the charger or just read the user's manual for your car.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
504 Posts
Can certainly confirm that the eGolf has maximum 7kw charging. Plenty of online resources will confirm this, as will the handbook.

I baffled the BMW dealer when I bought the i3 by asking they swap the single-phase cable they supplied with a 3-phase, because the i3 appears to be unique in the BMW EV stable in supporting 11kw 3 phase. A vanishingly small number of European homes have access to three phase power, so I think we're unlikely to see widespread support for this in EVs.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Much of Europe has mainly 3 phase 230 volt systems, much lower power per phase than the UK. (wikipedia)
The new Pug / Corsa for example is available with an 11kW 3 phase unit in Europe, this can be specified in the UK instead of the UK standard 7kW unit. With a 32A single phase cable it charges at 7kW (uses 2 of the 16A chargers) and on a 3 phase system (cable and charger ) can go to 11kW.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,107 Posts
I find ev database a good resource for answering these type of questions. Here’s what it says about the eGolf:

43E61EB9-EF2A-473E-9189-359616C06D69.png

1 - 9 of 9 Posts