Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Do you think World EV Day is a good idea?

• Yes :)

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No :(

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I can't make up my mind :P

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
World EV Day just started.

So did ubitricity's FREECHARGE.

It works like this: If you can find an ubitricity charge point near you, plug in anytime from now (00:01, 9 September) until 23:59, 9 September, and your charging will be free.
(It doesn't matter when you unplug. But do check for local parking restrictions.)

The reason is this: To encourage people without driveways to see if there are charge points in their street, so that charging their car overnight at home can be easy.
Easiest way to find one is to search on this map. Or go to the map on Zap Map and filter by the ubitricity network.

If you have friends thinking about making the switch to EV, encourage them to make the World EV Day pledge and have a look for an on-street charge point.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Just for context, from the About page on the World EV Day website:
"World EV Day is an initiative created by sustainability media company, Green.TV."

Apparently Sept 9th is also Emergency Services Day in the United Kingdom. :geek:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's hope this one helps add a bit of progress on the climate emergency. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nearest is 12.1 miles away, that's a shame, there are free 7kW posts nearer at about 8 miles. I'm embarrassed to say I live in a county so far away from our fair capital, the county of Surrey, with far more climate protesters than EV charge points (all windbags & no action).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nearest is 12.1 miles away, that's a shame, there are free 7kW posts nearer at about 8 miles. I'm embarrassed to say I live in a county so far away from our fair capital, the county of Surrey, with far more climate protesters than EV charge points (all windbags & no action).
Sometimes change happens slower than we'd like.

If there isn't an ubitricity charge point near you and you think it would be useful if there were, make your voice heard in this thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Perhaps it's about time I spoke up about the provision of EV charge points being used as a political football in my area, how £115,000 of funding to expand the electric vehicle charging infrastructure has been provided, & how a political party has blocked the spending of monies on EV charging to make a political point. That however really belongs at the door to door level of political infighting rather than on a forum such as this, so I think it's time for me to disturb the murky waters that make up borough politics & the detritus that floats upon it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps it's about time I spoke up about the provision of EV charge points being used as a political football in my area, how £115,000 of funding to expand the electric vehicle charging infrastructure has been provided, & how a political party has blocked the spending of monies on EV charging to make a political point. That however really belongs at the door to door level of political infighting rather than on a forum such as this, so I think it's time for me to disturb the murky waters that make up borough politics & the detritus that floats upon it.
Sounds intriguing! Probably best to think carefully about what you want to share publically.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can beat that, our council (Labour:Conservative coalition) was given £250k to spend on chargers. They handed it back saying there was no demand.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Could be worse, Macclesfield took some of the money, installed chargers at the townhall, then decreed they were for staff and council vehicles only...
So far it looks like the same staff vehicles use it all the time for free....

·
Super Moderator
7,460 Posts
66 miles from my nearest one. I couldn't even make it there in my Leaf :LOL:

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can beat that, our council (Labour:Conservative coalition) was given £250k to spend on chargers. They handed it back saying there was no demand.
Such a shame. Not the first time I've heard that. The thing is the chargers need to go in first, then the cars will follow.
facepalm

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
343 Posts
Free charging, about as much use as a chocolate fireguard if you don't live in London, Portsmouth, Oxford, or Liverpool.
As per usual another southern bias.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Free charging, about as much use as a chocolate fireguard if you don't live in London, Portsmouth, Oxford, or Liverpool.
As per usual another southern bias.
I feel your pain, Mike. I live in Surrey and there are no ubitricity charge points there yet either.

We are working hard on convincing other councils across the country to provide this sort of amenity for their residents without driveways. It takes a while!

Not sure how the Liverpudlians will take to being lumped in with the southerners though! ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Last 3 and a half hours to plug in and get a free charge at and ubitricity charge point.
It doesn't matter when you unplug. Just plug in before 23:59 tonight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I feel your pain, Mike. I live in Surrey and there are no ubitricity charge points there yet either.

We are working hard on convincing other councils across the country to provide this sort of amenity for their residents without driveways. It takes a while!

Not sure how the Liverpudlians will take to being lumped in with the southerners though! ;)
I refer to Carlisle as "down South"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SLR
1 - 20 of 21 Posts