Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my ICE packed up last week. I was hoping to get two more years out of it and then buy a 30 kWh leaf.

That's all changed now. I am now looking at 2015 24 kWh leafs with 30000 miles on the clock or less. I can't afford a 30 kWh leaf.

I need the leaf to do 60 miles for work, five days a week. My work commute is flat. I can't charge at work .I live in the middle of Ireland and it rains a good bit.

I am a bit worried about buying a 24 kWh leaf only to discover that in two years it won't get me to work and back on a single charge.

Any thoughts, pointers, tips, advice, or recommdations from your experiences would be great.

Thank you.

·
Registered
548 Posts
What sort of roads are you driving on is another important question. Speed can have a big impact on range.

With the 24kWh LEAF and the levels of degradation they now have (even most of the good examples are losing, or close to losing their first capacity bar by now) you are going to struggle in the winter where you will be experiencing cold temperatures and using the heater, driving in heavy rain or even worse snow. In the middle of June any LEAF with a decent battery will manage 60 miles easy enough, but not so much when the weather gets worse. And that's before we consider the fact that the longer you keep the car, the worse the battery will get and your range will further drop.

Have you taken a look to see what charging options you have close to work? Maybe a public car park a short walk away? Or maybe a few rapid chargers you could make use of on the way back home after work? Would you be happy enough to do one of these things? Without some other charging options I really couldn't recommend it.

The other option may be the Renault Zoe? A little more efficient and typically have far less battery degradation than the LEAF. Ideally you want to try and find a way to make the cost of a 30kWh LEAF work for you as it is going to be far less hassle in terms of range and will last you many more years than a 24kWh model which may be suitable for you right now, but probably not for the longer term.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the swift reply 80698
My commute to work is all on back roads. I rarely go over 50 mph.

There are no charging points on the route.

·
Registered
247 Posts
We will probably get into the likelihood of after market batteries now. The couple of places doing it had to reverse engineer the software chat between car and guts of battery As management and safe charging of a massive battery is complex (and the chemistry used is now obsolete). An add on lump in the boot for several thousand pounds wouldn’t do it for me.

Nissan are dead set against it and just want the old ones to quietly go away (hence the laughable cost of a battery).

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
648 Posts
I speak from experience, driving to work in the winter with no heating on, with freezing blue hands seeing your breath is no fun.
Also I know it rains a lot in Ireland and wet roads also eat your battery range.

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Hi everyone, my ICE packed up last week. I was hoping to get two more years out of it and then buy a 30 kWh leaf.

That's all changed now. I am now looking at 2015 24 kWh leafs with 30000 miles on the clock or less. I can't afford a 30 kWh leaf.

I need the leaf to do 60 miles for work, five days a week. My work commute is flat. I can't charge at work .I live in the middle of Ireland and it rains a good bit.

I am a bit worried about buying a 24 kWh leaf only to discover that in two years it won't get me to work and back on a single charge.

Any thoughts, pointers, tips, advice, or recommdations from your experiences would be great.

Thank you.
Don’t do it.

my 2011 24kwh can do about 45 miles in good weather, 35 in bad weather.
IF you can put down a few grand more in two years time to get a muxsan extender or swap the car for a 30kwh, great. That will work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3500 euro difference. A 2015 with 30000 miles is about 10000 euro. 13500 for a 30 kWh one. It's a bit out of reach for me.

I really don't want to buy a pile of dirt ICE for a couple of years.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
648 Posts
The only way you will know for sure is to test drive the car and see if they will let you take it 60 miles to see how far it goes.

Also remember that using the car constantly at the limits of its battery will hasten it’s decline.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 24kw 2014 Tekna managed c.60 miles in mid-November last from an 80% charge. It was marginal though, I admit, and the low battery alarms were going at the end. A 100% charge every night would be likely to manage it safely - for now. How you'd manage after a bar has gone I couldn't say. Mine has a full set and 86% SoH (state of health) at 47,000 miles. The heater, a/c to clear the screen, and lights will take their toll of a cold battery.
3.2 miles per kWh is not abnormal in winter. A charge at your destination, even a small one, would make it easy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
3500 euro difference. A 2015 with 30000 miles is about 10000 euro. 13500 for a 30 kWh one. It's a bit out of reach for me.

I really don't want to buy a pile of dirt ICE for a couple of years.
If the 24kWh car won't do it, what do you plan to do?

Surely the fuel savings on the 30kWH version still make it justifiable even if you need to take out a low interest loan for the 3,500€ difference. 60*5*48 = 14,400 x2 = 28,800 miles of fossil fuel @ €1.23 per litre and 50MPG = €3,216 in fuel, not sure about the electricity costs, but it has to be less than that, maybe €0.20 per kWH at home, so at 3mpkWh and only having to pay for half that (free work charging) 14,400/3 = 4,800 * 0.20 = €960.

Basic illustration but you lose €2,500 over two years guaranteed if you stick with ICE. At least with the more expensive car it might still have more residual value left in it.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Even at a genuine 50 it will be very close in the winter. We average 4.5 miles/kWh overall in similar driving, but it drops to 3.6 in the cold and wet. You would need to have an available capacity of at least 17kWh which is not far off 75% of the original capacity, or 10 bars remaining on the dash.
So a decent LEAF24 will do it, particularly if you charge to 100% and preheat. But the battery may degrade and eat into your margin. How is your attitude to range anxiety and would you be willing to keep an eye on your charge remaining at various points on the journey and slow down if necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A couple of people at work have leafs. I enquired about getting a charge point at work last year. No sign of one appearing yet I have admired the leaf for ages now and want one. I am fed up driving ICE cars that cost me a fortune in diesel and servicing.

Logistically plugging in a granny cable at work would be difficult but not impossible.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Logistically plugging in a granny cable at work would be difficult but not impossible.
That's the answer. You'll get 2kWh per hour so even a couple of hours would give you a safety margin.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I had a 2015 24 kWh Leaf and I would not risk it. The mileage is very variable dependant on many things. Can you get Evezy in Ireland ?

This may seem a high monthly rent but it includes everything @1000 miles/month - Maybe worth a go for a year. Monthly payment with no commitment.

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Even at a genuine 50 it will be very close in the winter. We average 4.5 miles/kWh overall in similar driving, but it drops to 3.6 in the cold and wet. You would need to have an available capacity of at least 17kWh which is not far off 75% of the original capacity, or 10 bars remaining on the dash.
So a decent LEAF24 will do it, particularly if you charge to 100% and preheat. But the battery may degrade and eat into your margin. How is your attitude to range anxiety and would you be willing to keep an eye on your charge remaining at various points on the journey and slow down if necessary.
Not “may degrade”, WILL degrade. I’ve watched mine go from 12 bars and over 70 miles of range down to 7 bars and 40 miles.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Not “may degrade”, WILL degrade. I’ve watched mine go from 12 bars and over 70 miles of range down to 7 bars and 40 miles.
According to LEAFSpy my 2014 has hardly changed over 12 months and 20,000 miles, my Wife's 2014 has dropped by 1% in 30 months and 30,000 miles.
The later cars appear better, but there's also an element of luck.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts