Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here we go again . I am 72 years old and travel 3k miles a year in my Citroen. I want a leaf because they look funky (when you have owned all models of Citroen going back to 1970 you get used to the remarks ) What I am unsure about is should it be a 24 or 30 kwh model. I like the tekna but not sure about the leather so a acenta would be good. My Citroen is still on finance (11K owing) so i don't have any equity.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
If you can afford it, always go for the 30kWh. More battery capacity, newer battery chemistry, and a longer battery warranty.

If you can't stretch to it, a 24 is fine as long as you aren't driving long distances, but you will have to be very careful when buying to make sure the battery is as close to perfect as possible as you will be on your own with no warranty on most of them now. Definitely go armed with leafspy and an OBD Dongle before parting with any money.

·
Registered
647 Posts
30 Tekna
My reasons-
  1. Difference in price for 24 versus 30 is not that great
  2. Tekna because although it has leather seats, they have heaters in all, even the rear seats, great for my 70-year-old bones----you are 72!!
  3. Tekna because it has all-round cameras and bird's eye view-absolutely fantastic for reversing into your tiny garage and not damaging all your precious stuff. It allows you to see when your neck has that painful crick in it, a great safety feature.
  4. Heated steering wheel-fantastic on a frosty morning. Heat it and the seats as well as the interior of the car up 15 mins before you get into the car.
    Negatives:
  5. More expensive-but not that much
  6. Stupid useless Bose subwoofer in the boot-just rip it out.
  7. Larger wheels so tyres are almost double the price of the lower grade models.
Just my opinion, Tony.

Reactions: Hermit Dave

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
What Citroen do you have ? I still run a Xantia V6 as my ICE car. :)

My vote would be for a 30kWh Acenta if you choose a Leaf.

Even if you don't think you need the range of the 30, the range of the 24 is relatively short especially after a few years of degradation. The extra 25 miles or so range makes more difference than you think if you keep a reserve range of say 20 miles.

The battery warranty of the 30's is much longer than the 24 - most 30's are still in battery warranty, all 24's are not! Larger batteries also tend to degrade more slowly due to less cycling per mile and less need to deep cycle them to make a certain length journey.

Regarding Tekna vs Acenta - I bought a Tekna after convincing myself I needed Leather seats (messy 4 year old) and heated seats/steering wheel but I sort of regret not going for the Acenta.

The Leather seats are quite hard and I don't find the drivers seat very comfortable without some padding on the base. They're not even remotely as comfy or adjustable as the ones in my Xantia! :( I haven't tried cloth Acenta seats but I'm guessing they're probably a bit softer.

Tekna wheels are bigger with lower profile tyres so don't ride as well - tyres for them are twice the price of Acenta wheels as well. I'm thinking of getting some Acenta wheels for my Tekna next tyre time, as I could buy wheels and tyres for the price of tyres alone and get a better ride to boot!

I thought I would need heated seats after my cold draughty Peugeot Ion where heated seat covers were a must, but the Leaf is well insulated (thick underfelt in all the doors) draught free and has a relatively efficient heater, as a result I don't use the heated seats much and when I do its "nice" but hardly essential.

A similar mileage/condition Acenta is probably £2k cheaper than a Tekna, so I think it is better value for money.

My two pieces of advice for Leaf buying are:

1) Do an extended test drive to make sure you find the drivers seat comfortable. Some people think its fine, others find it very uncomfortable - depending on you body size and shape, probably! There is no reach adjustment on the steering wheel (only rake) and no rake adjustment on the seat base, nor any lumber adjustment. The seats are quite narrow as well so may dig into your thighs slightly if you are not also narrow. :)

2) Always check the battery Health with Leafspy before buying. You don't want to end up with a Lemon with a dodgy battery. Even if you buy from Nissan and there is still battery warranty you could have an uphill battle getting anything done about it. (See other threads on this topic) Best to not put yourself in that situation in the first place.

Other than the drivers seat (which I'm still working on trying to make more comfortable...) and the somewhat firm ride the Leaf is a nice car to drive and handles better than you might expect. It's not a fast car and isn't going to win any motorway overtaking competitions, but it is fast enough for a family car.

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
190 Posts
Having had a 24 and a 30 I concur that a 30 is well worth the extra for the additional slice of range. A 24 would do the job but I found the 30 bust gave a little be more peace of mind and allowance for any future battery degradation (not that this is too much of a issue!)

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,823 Posts
I'm a few years younger than the OP and have owned my Leaf E+ (62kwh) for almost a month and love it. (I sold my top of the range C5 2.7v6 in June - chipped to 260bhp but surprisingly, the Leaf's ride quality is almost as good and its quicker)
I opted for the E+ because of the performance and range but I particularly like the one pedal mode - E-pedal Nissan call it which, due to the greater regenerative braking, is averaging a 20% saving in kwh compared to no regeneration. (this month so far, 50.4kw used, of which 11.5 from regeneration)
I'm finding, with the cold weather, the range is about 1.5miles/% of charge or 2.5miles/kwh.
The granny charger works fine - no overheating of the wall socket but my 7kw charger should be up and running by tomorrow or thursday.
I use the Octopus Go tariff so the 4hours 5p/unit off peak window provides about 10kwh or 30kwh from the 7kw charger. (I won't really need the 7kw charger until lockdown has been eased.)
The app is great - works everytime to remotely activate the heating, and yes, the heated wheel and seats are excellent.
It would have been sensible of Nissan to fit a larger built-in charger to the E+ models so they can take advantage of the 22kw charging stations otherwise it's hard to fault.
My advice - go for the larger battery - you can never have too much capacity.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
How much is the 40kWh leaf?
Alternatively check out the Cheap Deals thread. There's the Ioniq38 for circa £230/month over two years. No range anxiety until 140+miles, and all the latest toys.
40kWh and 140+ miles range sounds like serious overkill for a car that is going to do 3000 Miles per year. I'm assuming it won't be going on many road trips.

Also OP mentioned the funky looks. The 40kWh and later models (as well as the Ioniq you suggested too) look 'normal' and boring!

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,823 Posts
I think he'd like what I have just traded in. A Honda CRZ hybrid with 1.5L 120bhp petrol motor with 6 speed gearbox with a 15kw motor sandwiched between the engine and flywheel. The motor assists the petrol engine, but never drives the car itself. Self charging so no need to plug in.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
40kWh and 140+ miles range sounds like serious overkill for a car that is going to do 3000 Miles per year. I'm assuming it won't be going on many road trips.
Yes it'd be good if the OP can clarify if that's 3000miles per annum as a weekly shopping trolley around town, or just a handful of 100mile journeys.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,823 Posts
gaah. you traded it in? Looks really funky. Surely someone in the SpeakEV community would have jumped at at for the trade-in price, even it is a self charging car :LOL:
Someone from the CRZ forum has paid a deposit. There are very few facelift CRZs about, especially in GT (top spec) trim. It was a great runabout but I need something larger for long journeys. (the pre 2013 models had an NiMh battery and 15bhp less so are to be avoided)
Definitely more funky than a Leaf, ID3 etc and the dash is especially cool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What Citroen do you have ? I still run a Xantia V6 as my ICE car. :)

My vote would be for a 30kWh Acenta if you choose a Leaf.

Even if you don't think you need the range of the 30, the range of the 24 is relatively short especially after a few years of degradation. The extra 25 miles or so range makes more difference than you think if you keep a reserve range of say 20 miles.

The battery warranty of the 30's is much longer than the 24 - most 30's are still in battery warranty, all 24's are not! Larger batteries also tend to degrade more slowly due to less cycling per mile and less need to deep cycle them to make a certain length journey.

Regarding Tekna vs Acenta - I bought a Tekna after convincing myself I needed Leather seats (messy 4 year old) and heated seats/steering wheel but I sort of regret not going for the Acenta.

The Leather seats are quite hard and I don't find the drivers seat very comfortable without some padding on the base. They're not even remotely as comfy or adjustable as the ones in my Xantia! :( I haven't tried cloth Acenta seats but I'm guessing they're probably a bit softer.

Tekna wheels are bigger with lower profile tyres so don't ride as well - tyres for them are twice the price of Acenta wheels as well. I'm thinking of getting some Acenta wheels for my Tekna next tyre time, as I could buy wheels and tyres for the price of tyres alone and get a better ride to boot!

I thought I would need heated seats after my cold draughty Peugeot Ion where heated seat covers were a must, but the Leaf is well insulated (thick underfelt in all the doors) draught free and has a relatively efficient heater, as a result I don't use the heated seats much and when I do its "nice" but hardly essential.

A similar mileage/condition Acenta is probably £2k cheaper than a Tekna, so I think it is better value for money.

My two pieces of advice for Leaf buying are:

1) Do an extended test drive to make sure you find the drivers seat comfortable. Some people think its fine, others find it very uncomfortable - depending on you body size and shape, probably! There is no reach adjustment on the steering wheel (only rake) and no rake adjustment on the seat base, nor any lumber adjustment. The seats are quite narrow as well so may dig into your thighs slightly if you are not also narrow. :)

2) Always check the battery Health with Leafspy before buying. You don't want to end up with a Lemon with a dodgy battery. Even if you buy from Nissan and there is still battery warranty you could have an uphill battle getting anything done about it. (See other threads on this topic) Best to not put yourself in that situation in the first place.

Other than the drivers seat (which I'm still working on trying to make more comfortable...) and the somewhat firm ride the Leaf is a nice car to drive and handles better than you might expect. It's not a fast car and isn't going to win any motorway overtaking competitions, but it is fast enough for a family car.
You ask what Citroen I have. 2017 1.6 hdi auto.Fantastic car. Have owned The xantia,bx.cx.1972 DS auto. DS manual @CV Ami 6 and Ami 8 Dyan all good cars in their own right.
Paul

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,555 Posts
If you can, try to find a Acenta with heat pack optional extra. It's best of both worlds, Acenta seats and cheaper more efficient wheels, but with heated steering wheel. Only thing missing would be the 360 camera.

The ONLY reason wife went for Tekna was for heating steering wheel. Now I'm paying almost double the price for the tyres.......

If you can afford a 30, no reason getting a 24.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Still think for a 72 year-old the all-round cameras are a terrific bonus. At our age you can't turn your head as well as a middle-aged person and this make for a much safer senior driver in car parks etc.

I can't stress this safety feature enough as a 70-year-old myself.
Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,823 Posts
Still think for a 72 year-old the all-round cameras are a terrific bonus. At our age you can't turn your head as well as a middle-aged person and this make for a much safer senior driver in car parks etc.

I can't stress this safety feature enough as a 70-year-old myself.
Cheers Tony.
Good point. I have a 66yr old's neck issues - arthritis and a fused vertebrae and the cameras are a big help. A reversing camera was the best upgrade I did to my camper.

·
Super Moderator
12,112 Posts
I found the the surround cameras very helpful. Visibilty is not great and the car is surprisingly hard to park.

I owned both a 24 and a 30. The 30 was much better. The biggest difference was the rapid charging speed. The extra 20 odd miles may not seem like much but it made a huge difference in where we could go. Debbie felt trapped by the range on the 24. It was constantly limiting us.

The other thing with a 24 is the battery will be down at least 15% and probably much more. That could mean a winter range of 50-60 miles. That is not enough for us, even for local use.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.