Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys looking to upgrade from a 24kw to a 40 kw Leaf, question is can i use the same tethered home charger or will i need to change it.
Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You will need to change the connector, but not necessarily the whole unit.

The 24 is a Type 1, whereas the 40 is a Type 2.

I believe that you can get a plug in converter cable for about £150 ( Type 1 to Type 2 32amp Converter with 0.3m cable ), but I'm not sure about the current advice on that.

Alternatively, you can get the cable changed.

I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge about the best solution on this will be along and reply to this thread shortly.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh
685 Posts
I got an adaptor cable for mine as it was the easiest way to change plug + I could extend the cable length by 3 meters so I don't have to park right in front of my garage now, works perfectly 🙂

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
As above, you will need a Type 2 plug on the end of the lead. I wouldn't recommend an adaptor cable unless you are still going to be using the Type 1 connector for other vehicles (a 2nd EV for a partner or friends visiting), but instead change the tethered lead for a Type 2 one of an appropriate length and current rating.

What make of charge point is it and what is the current limit on it and your "new" LEAF40?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Guys looking to upgrade from a 24kw to a 40 kw Leaf, question is can i use the same tethered home charger or will i need to change it.
If your current charger is a 16 amp charger, then it will need to be configured to supply 32 amps, unless you want to only charge at 3.3kW instead of 6.6kW. That could be as simple as a toggle siwtch inside the unit.

When I bought my 40kWh LEAF 2 years ago Nissan paid for the charger upgrade. So I contacted POD Point and they came and ended up changing the circuit board (upgrading so it connected via my WiFi rather than using the mobile phone network), cover (not sure why it needed a new cover) and the tethered cable to a Type 2. The cable to the charger was already capable of 32amps.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
If your current charger is a 16 amp charger, then it will need to be configured to supply 32 amps, unless you want to only charge at 3.3kW instead of 6.6kW. That could be as simple as a toggle siwtch inside the unit.
Careful!
The cable to the charger was already capable of 32amps.
That isn't a given in all installations, and I'd be very surprised (or is the word disappointed from a safety point of view) if the breaker was capable of 32Amps.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guys @dk6780 i have an original podpoint/chargemaster 20200602_061539.jpg installed when i got my Leaf in 2014 my wife has an Outlander PHEV so think an adaptor would be best route for now,charging speed is not an issue but if it becomes so i will look at an upgrade then.Will post this later unless anyone can tell me what it means when your car reg is not recognized on a comparision website for insurance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
... unless anyone can tell me what it means when your car reg is not recognized on a comparision website for insurance.
I don't know, but you could try the gov.uk web page to check if it's taxed. If that doesn't recognise it then I'd start worrying!

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
ill post this later unless anyone can tell me what it means when your car reg is not recognized on a comparision website for insurance.
Normally means that the regisatration number has been changed at some point. Check on the Government VED site as suggested by @keithr .

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Normally means that the regisatration number has been changed at some point. Check on the Government VED site as suggested by @keithr .
If it's a new car, even though the dealer has pre-registered it and advised a new registration number it won't actually show up on the websites' view of current vehicles until the actual registration date.

·
Registered
47 Posts
HI all
i was also looking to move to a 40kw leaf albeit from a 30. On the leasing sites the n-connecta is listed with an without a 6.6kw charger and £20 extra a month. On the nissan website it implies that all n-connecta do. Can anyone confirm please? for example

thank you
matt

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nissan produced the acenta with a 3.6 KW on board charger from September 2019 to December 2019 to cost cut, then found it wasn’t viable since then the whole range has been fitted with 6.6Kw on board charger. The N-connecta has always come with the 6.6Kw charging facility.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi All. Looking to upgrade as well from 24kW to 40kW. I have the PodPoint charger (circular one). Does this need a new cable? Also how can I tell if it is fitted with a 32amp fuse?

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Hi All. Looking to upgrade as well from 24kW to 40kW. I have the PodPoint charger (circular one). Does this need a new cable? Also how can I tell if it is fitted with a 32amp fuse?
Yes. The old Leaf has a Type 1 socket. The 40kW has a Type 2 socket. If the PodPoint is tethered, it will need a new cable. Can't help with the details.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Reactions: rikdud

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Here is an adapter that you could use:
How safe is that? (1) There must be a large leverage load on the Leaf's socket due to the weight of the cable and its attached plug, and (2) What happens if you pull the type 1 plug on the PodPoint cable from the type 1 socket on the adapter, without first stopping the charge, which as far as I can see is perfectly possible?

For the price of a replacement cable, it seems like a poor (and dangerous) alternative. Everything else I have read says that adapters should never be used (unless specified by the manufacturer, like Tesla).

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
How safe is that? (1) There must be a large leverage load on the Leaf's socket due to the weight of the cable and its attached plug, and (2) What happens if you pull the type 1 plug on the PodPoint cable from the type 1 socket on the adapter, without first stopping the charge, which as far as I can see is perfectly possible?

For the price of a replacement cable, it seems like a poor (and dangerous) alternative. Everything else I have read says that adapters should never be used (unless specified by the manufacturer, like Tesla).
My brother's been using it for a year with no issues. Pulling the plug from the adapter is the same as pulling the cable from the car while charging i.e. the current stops. The 1st gen Leaf didn't lock the plug into the charger while charging. It seems well built.

Reactions: Chrisb

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
You can't "pull the cable from the car while charging" because the car locks the cable until you stop charging. Are you sure that pulling the Type 1 plug from the adapter socket cuts the power before arcing can occur? I'd still be concerned about the downward moment from the weight of the cable and its attached plug.

A 5m 32A replacement cable will cost you £114 from these people as against £80 for the adapter. Your choice.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts