Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...107k 91.5 and rising
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had lower mpg than that? o_O I know I should have taken a photo.

After a normal overnight charge I engaged the cabin pre-heat and then noticed that the sidelights had gone off after only a few minutes. On powering up it seems the car had forgotten it had an HV battery at all - 0 miles and unable to charge - Engine Check Light on. So it was off to Bristol (65miles - remember how life was before Tiers?) on the generator alone - cruising up the M5 at 60mph I thought the mpg would never stop falling but it stabilised at just 24mpg. Just shows how clever the regen and buffer use technology is - I normally get around 52mpg on an empty battery for the same 65 mile trip in the other direction.

The car of course remembered about the battery on the next power up. Engine light went off after a few more cycles. Been having trouble with the charge port door in the colder weather that no amount of spray seems to fix. The bit of foam gets waterlogged and doesn't really work well in lower temperatures. I suspect the hinge has got distorted - its not that robust - so I'm having it replaced in the New Year. The HV fault hasn't happened again - but the thing I liked most was the fact that the Ampera just dug a bit deeper and got me where I needed to be.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
Could the car have been left powered up and it had been running the heating overnight? The only other thing that I can think of is that the car was using the battery to keep the battery warm and when on pre-heat it will use more power than can be supplied by the mains and so the longer it would be going the lower the battery would become. Or it's a glitch/feature/foible of the car's smartness.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and I can't fault your logic. All I can say is that when the car and the HV battery were back on speaking terms later that morning it was fully charged, although the GOM took a while to catch up. I read somewhere that the design of the HV system was very conservative, with protection/preservation of the battery being paramount so it is probably rather intolerant of transient faults. I think I'll have to get a code reader. I've had few charging glitches - mostly but not always with unattended and unloved public charging points - so I'm tempted to replace the charge port when I do the charge port door assy.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's happened again. After a normal charge overnight and then a normal cabin pre-heat and recovery yesterday morning in the frost the system settled back into its quiescent state - short green indicator flashing normally. A little while later I heard (its mounted on the dividing wall between kitchen and garage) the Rolec clunk twice in quick succession and saw that the green indicator lamp in the car had stopped flashing and gone out. Powered up the car and battery showing empty with zero miles, engine started immediately with 'Reduced Propulsion Power' message. Learning from the first time, I powered off, left it for 15 mins and powered up again - all OK - full battery and 28 miles but 1.0kw used and 'Plug in to charge' message. Orange EML illuminated of course.

So my PROSCAN code reader arrived today and I downloaded the (free) CarScanner app onto the iphone and configured it for Opel Ampera. It all connected very smoothly but there were only DTCs - both P1E00 - one stored and one pending. So I'm not much further forward - P10EE lights up the EML because the Powertrain Control Module 2 has asked it to - but no DTC is showing for the underlying fault. PCM2 moonlights monitoring the the HV system when the main contactors are open (ie charging) so that sort of fits the scenarios I have been seeing.

So my question is: should be seeing more codes or are some not displayed? And if I should be seeing more, what dongles / apps have been successfully used. I should add that when I scrolled through all the available info fields, not many were populated - so for example while the app recognises 98 HV battery cells it didn't show voltage on any of them. Does that point to a faulty/too cheap/Chinese/incompatible dongle?

Any advice gratefully received.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I used to use Torque Lite and then moved to Torque Pro to read codes on my Ampera but it looks like that is for Android only. It may be that this free version is not reading all the codes. The P10EE is a generic code used to let you know that something has requested an EML Can you try charging it elsewhere? Did you need to reset a trip after the Rolec clunked?
Another app to try is MyGreenVolt.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to use Torque Lite and then moved to Torque Pro to read codes on my Ampera but it looks like that is for Android only. It may be that this free version is not reading all the codes. The P10EE is a generic code used to let you know that something has requested an EML Can you try charging it elsewhere? Did you need to reset a trip after the Rolec clunked?
Another app to try is MyGreenVolt.
Thanks @h8ten - I've got an old Android tablet somewhere so I'll see if I can get Torque Pro. There are so may apps and dongles its hard to know where to go. But it seems you feel its the app not the dongle.

Nothing tripped on the Rolec - the car just seemed to request the connection then immediately rejected it. I was thinking that it might be pointing towards a spurious isolation fault but without the primary code I'm just guessing. I'd like to get some idea of what it is before I hand it over to Vauxhall and they just start changing things.

I've got the granny charger but I need to leave the kitchen window open to use that and SWMBO would object in this weather. Also it happens infrequently so I wouldn't know how long to prove anything. It first happened back in the summer with Tesco Podpoint charger, which suggests its not the Rolec perhaps.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
I had an issue with mine and it turned out to be a hairline crack in the charging port. It was working fine and had charged the car up overnight. I went away for a couple of hours came back and plugged in as normal but the car did not give the usual double toot and no green flashing light. When I checked the fusebox in the house the feed for the charger had tripped. I reset it again but as soon as I plugged in it tripped again. Trying on a public charger just resulted in a loud clunking from the post and a brief message in the car 'Unable to charge'. I was about £380 for the diagnosis and replacement of the chargeport, though now I have seen how it is done on Youtube I think I would tackle it myself if it happened again.

Regarding the app or dongle issue. I couldn't say what it is. I've only had experience of the apps that I mentioned, Torque Lite then Torque Pro and MyGreenVolt, though MyGreennVolt just seems to be monitoring things in the car and how it is performing. I don't think I had any codes when my chargeport failed it was just a case that the car would not charge. I couldn't try the granny charger as I do not have access to a 13 amp close enough to the car.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I've just received my new charge port receptacle. Ordered from US on 01 Feb and cost £100.04p all in.

You can see the big fat slab of mastic insulation that they now apply to the rear of the casing where it gets exposed to the elements.

Just need a nice warm dry day to swap it now. Then fingers crossed with that and the new tethered cable I will be able to say goodbye to these charging glitches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts