Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote about it on my blog.

Car is with Tesla overnight and should get it back tomorrow.

What's amazing is when the ActiveE had the drivetrain problems, some folks had to wait for weeks for the fix to be applied. It's great to see Tesla make such a major part of the car be a nearly 24 hour replacement experience.

It would've been better if it was only a fifty cent piece (as had been reported) but I definitely will see if there are any differences with the replacement drivetrain. Besides, I got an S85 loaner that is in a color I haven't driven before (Silver.)

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I hope Tesla can sustain all these replacement drivetrains they are fitting. So much for the 'there's only one moving part, so nothing to wear out' meme about EVs.

·
Super Moderator
7,570 Posts
I hope Tesla can sustain all these replacement drivetrains they are fitting. So much for the 'there's only one moving part, so nothing to wear out' meme about EVs.
From what I understand it's a bearing on the "gearbox" which is causing problems. The supposition from TMC last time I checked was that they are swapping out the complete drivetrain "sausage", and swapping you in a returned one. Yours then has someone strip it, replace the bearing, and it goes back in someone else's car. It's an interesting difference from the ICE world where removing a whole engine takes several hours and lots of fluids...!

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I understand it's a bearing on the "gearbox" which is causing problems. The supposition from TMC last time I checked was that they are swapping out the complete drivetrain "sausage", and swapping you in a returned one. Yours then has someone strip it, replace the bearing, and it goes back in someone else's car. It's an interesting difference from the ICE world where removing a whole engine takes several hours and lots of fluids...!
Got the car back early this afternoon (about 28 hours from when they picked the car up.)

Apparently, I got a brand new motor from stock. So, good for me, but I wonder about sustainability of such a program.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Wait until the cars are out of warranty, that's when these issues will really hit home for those people that purchased the car :eek:
Same is broadly true of ICE cars though. Expensive parts can and do go wrong. (I have a nail of a Kia I use for MTB'ing) The interior light is broken but to fix it is >£400 because I need a new "room control module"... So I just use a torch ;)

The bigger cloud on the horizon is who can fix them. Presumably the car must be completely powered off for some repairs, will it just reboot, or do only Tesla know how to do this ?

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
Wait until the cars are out of warranty,
Current warranty is 8 years for the drive unit. 125,000 miles on a 60 and unlimited milage on the 85 and P85D.

I'll wager an out of warranty drive unit will be beyond economic repair.

My guess is an 8 year old Model S will retail for under £10,000.

The price of other big luxury cars falls like a rock when they get that old.

A quick search found a 2007 BMW 730Ld for £7,450, this 2006 750i for £9750 -- http://www.motors.co.uk/car-35607846/16/srs

and a large number of S class mercs for under £10k. S500 for £8,995 -- http://www.motors.co.uk/car-34045294/12/sr

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
At the rate of my driving, I would probably be closer to 200,000 miles in eight years... Most cars that I have owned have dropped their value significantly because of the amount of mileage that I drive.

It will go back to fix or buy another decision when faced with paying for repairs. However, not looking forward to that decision, and goes back to the idea of saving "for a rainy day". Understanding that sometimes the "rainy day" is a deluge.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Depreciation will hit you however you finance the car.

After that, you basically have 2 options:

• Spend the money on repairs, as and when needed - and maybe get lucky and have no major problems in the life of the car, maybe not and have to replace battery and drivetrain / engine and gearbox in year 9.

• Spend the money on interest/leasing costs. Bonus extra cost guaranteed every couple of years when you change cars.

Either way, owning a car costs money.. #shocker

·
Super Moderator
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Depreciation will hit you however you finance the car.

Either way, owning a car costs money.. #shocker
Which is why, until I started driving EVs, I used to always buy our cars used.

Even then, my wife's Roadster (Sig #40) was purchased CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) from Tesla.

Some of those soon to be off lease (or recently off lease) Leaf and Volts are going to be looking good... Except a lot of the new ones are almost as cheap, if not cheaper.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
This is my first brand new car I haven't had on contract hire.

I did almost bought my old exige off the finance company. Wish I had now, they are going up in value! Even the S2s like mine.

I intend to get shot of the Tesla at 3yrs so it still has warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts