Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been looking at getting my first EV, after initially looking at the Leaf 30kwh I tried a Soul EV 27kwh at the weekend and was very impressed. The car was a 2017 27kwh with 40k on the clock for £12,500, condition was good and on a 15 mile typical journey I was getting 5.2 miles / kwh, this would give me around 125 miles in my everyday use (20 miles daily commute) and probably 90 miles at motorway speeds (65mph).

My questions is, should I go for this car, it's within my budget and the range would work fine for me. Are there any down sides to this version over the 30kwh (other than the extra range). If I could stretch to the 30kwh I would but they seem to be about £2.5-3k for expensive, which I just too much for my budget. It seemed to drive better and I'd probably be stressing less about the battery health as the Leaf I have been looking at was showing 89% SOH and I'd probably literally waiting for it to drop a bar! Plus this car still has 3.5 years left on the warranty to any problems would be sorted.

Any opinions or help appreciated.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Hi,

I've been looking at getting my first EV, after initially looking at the Leaf 30kwh I tried a Soul EV 27kwh at the weekend and was very impressed. The car was a 2017 27kwh with 40k on the clock for £12,500, condition was good and on a 15 mile typical journey I was getting 5.2 miles / kwh, this would give me around 125 miles in my everyday use (20 miles daily commute) and probably 90 miles at motorway speeds (65mph).

My questions is, should I go for this car, it's within my budget and the range would work fine for me. Are there any down sides to this version over the 30kwh (other than the extra range). If I could stretch to the 30kwh I would but they seem to be about £2.5-3k for expensive, which I just too much for my budget. It seemed to drive better and I'd probably be stressing less about the battery health as the Leaf I have been looking at was showing 89% SOH and I'd probably literally waiting for it to drop a bar! Plus this car still has 3.5 years left on the warranty to any problems would be sorted.

Yeah go for it, it will be better than the Leaf in every respect.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah go for it, it will be better than the Leaf in every respect.
Thanks Freddy, the Leaf seemed more of an 'EV' where the Soul seemed more like a normal car... if that makes sense! It was just more drivable, has better battery management and actually much preferred the lighter interior.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Thanks Freddy, the Leaf seemed more of an 'EV' where the Soul seemed more like a normal car... if that makes sense! It was just more drivable, has better battery management and actually much preferred the lighter interior.
Only downside will be their is no flakey App.🤓

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have the 27kWh Soul EV... I've never driven the Leaf but we do have a 22kWh Zoe. Can say the Soul is a very refined little car, best value for money at that price (in my opinion). We love our light interior and the general comfort/drive.

I have personally driven from Ayrshire to Cambridgeshire and back a number of times, the 50kW DC charging and active thermal management make long trips very doable (with some advance planning).

We would love to have the 30kWh version but the 27kWh does the job just fine. Although you have less usable capacity, I believe the upper buffer is larger so in theory you'll see degradation less soon than on the 30kWh. Ours is a 2017 car and has 104% SOH.

I can promise you won't regret your purchase! Any other questions just ask.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,087 Posts
There's no app on either of the early Souls. I had a 27kwh one. Main downside over the leaf is that you can't pre heat them when they're not plugged in. Souls are well built cars and 7 year warranty is good for peace of mind. They're definitely a better bet for long term ownership.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have the 27kWh Soul EV... I've never driven the Leaf but we do have a 22kWh Zoe. Can say the Soul is a very refined little car, best value for money at that price (in my opinion). We love our light interior and the general comfort/drive.

I have personally driven from Ayrshire to Cambridgeshire and back a number of times, the 50kW DC charging and active thermal management make long trips very doable (with some advance planning).

We would love to have the 30kWh version but the 27kWh does the job just fine. Although you have less usable capacity, I believe the upper buffer is larger so in theory you'll see degradation less soon than on the 30kWh. Ours is a 2017 car and has 104% SOH.

I can promise you won't regret your purchase! Any other questions just ask.
Hi Russ,

That's great to hear! Having driven the Leaf and Soul back to back the Soul just seemed like a better put together car, was far more settled over potholes and bumps (Leaf seemed much more fidgety and twitchy, just less settled). I tried my bluetooth dongle but couldn't get it to connect to the Soul Spy App (Mine is the Bluetooth LE dongle that works with Leafspy..).

What kind of range to you get going around town and on a motorway journey..?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's no app on either of the early Souls. I had a 27kwh one. Main downside over the leaf is that you can't pre heat them when they're not plugged in. Souls are well built cars and 7 year warranty is good for peace of mind. They're definitely a better bet for long term ownership.
I'd certainly feel more comfortable and less worried about keeping the Soul long term I think...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Russ,

That's great to hear! Having driven the Leaf and Soul back to back the Soul just seemed like a better put together car, was far more settled over potholes and bumps (Leaf seemed much more fidgety and twitchy, just less settled). I tried my bluetooth dongle but couldn't get it to connect to the Soul Spy App (Mine is the Bluetooth LE dongle that works with Leafspy..).

What kind of range to you get going around town and on a motorway journey..?
Funnily enough most of our journeys are at motorway speeds! We get between 3.5 and 4 mpkWh driving anything up to 70mph (we just drive it like a normal car). A 100% charge usually shows around 95 on the GOM and this tends to be fairly reliable.

I expect if we did more local journeys then we'd regularly see 5+ mpkWh and the GOM would creep above 100 but our motorway miles far outweigh any short trips to the shops etc.

These figures are for this time of year. In the depths of winter a full charge might show something like 82 miles on the GOM. But if you're doing a long journey then the battery usually warms up after your first charge and the winter weather has less of an impact from that point.

We use Soul Spy with one of those orange Konnwei dongles (I bought it for the Zoe and CanZE - it works with both cars).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funnily enough most of our journeys are at motorway speeds! We get between 3.5 and 4 mpkWh driving anything up to 70mph (we just drive it like a normal car). A 100% charge usually shows around 95 on the GOM and this tends to be fairly reliable.

I expect if we did more local journeys then we'd regularly see 5+ mpkWh and the GOM would creep above 100 but our motorway miles far outweigh any short trips to the shops etc.

These figures are for this time of year. In the depths of winter a full charge might show something like 82 miles on the GOM. But if you're doing a long journey then the battery usually warms up after your first charge and the winter weather has less of an impact from that point.

We use Soul Spy with one of those orange Konnwei dongles (I bought it for the Zoe and CanZE - it works with both cars).
Does your 2017 have Android Auto / Apple Carplay? I've read that it came in on the 2018 cars but older cars can be updated at a Kia garage for a £20 charge (you can update the SD card yourself if you know where to get the updated software from.......).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does your 2017 have Android Auto / Apple Carplay? I've read that it came in on the 2018 cars but older cars can be updated at a Kia garage for a £20 charge (you can update the SD card yourself if you know where to get the updated software from.......).
We do have the Android Auto/Carplay on ours. I'm unsure whether it was installed from factory or if it has been updated at some stage (we bought second-hand). We have a gripe with the AA in that it crashes at random intervals... you have to remove and connect the USB again to sort it. Very annoying. We're bringing it up when the car goes in for its service, hopefully there's a software fix!

It's a great shame because it is a very useful feature to have...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We do have the Android Auto/Carplay on ours. I'm unsure whether it was installed from factory or if it has been updated at some stage (we bought second-hand). We have a gripe with the AA in that it crashes at random intervals... you have to remove and connect the USB again to sort it. Very annoying. We're bringing it up when the car goes in for its service, hopefully there's a software fix!

It's a great shame because it is a very useful feature to have...
Cool, yeah the infotainment is light years ahead of the Leaf. I may be going for another test drive in it tomorrow so I'll try connecting my phone to see if it's working. Let me know if there's anything else I should look out for (y)

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I'd try and stretch to the 30kWh which is the one i had first.
I think your numbers are a little optimistic (based on my possibly heavy handed driving of a 30kWh) and in winter dont forget a 20% drop will likely make you regret not getting the bigger battery version. On a mostly motorway journey i used to do, in winter (or in the wet) at 65-70mph i would get 90-95 miles.
Also, when you come to resell you'll likely get the extra back so whilst I appreciate you might not have the money to hand, if you do I'd definitely go for the 30kWh.
Of course if you arent doing longer journeys then you dont need the extra and so the 27kwH will be ample.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As a Leaf owner on his third year I would have to say it’s been utterly fantastic. It is very well put together, roomy and a pleasant drive.

i have driven the Kia’s and the Hyundai’s and Nissan for my needs came out on top.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I tried a Soul EV 27kwh at the weekend and was very impressed. The car was a 2017 27kwh with 40k on the clock for £12,500, condition was good and on a 15 mile typical journey I was getting 5.2 miles / kwh, this would give me around 125 miles in my everyday use
Add another couple of £k, and on the classifieds that's what someone is asking for a 33kWh in silver with 13kmiles 2018 plate. If you're considering handing over a £12k wedge to a dealer for a much older car with more miles and less warranty, is this one worth a look?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hi,

Take a look at this post, thread and video at the top:

Reactions: Sputnik72

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Speak to Jonathan Porterfield before you spend your money.
Yeah I spoke to him a few months ago and emailed him a few days ago to see what they were going through for at the minute, unfortunately he's away now until October... The dealers prepared to do it for £12,200 and a really competitive finance rate (which is why I'm buying from a dealer..)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Add another couple of £k, and on the classifieds that's what someone is asking for a 33kWh in silver with 13kmiles 2018 plate. If you're considering handing over a £12k wedge to a dealer for a much older car with more miles and less warranty, is this one worth a look?
Where's the car you're talking about, can't see it on the member classified section..?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts