1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 24KW leaf , On a full charge the milage shows 90 ish

The journey I want to make is from RM10 onto DY10 then back to RM10
So a M25 M40 journey
If I am brave enough to go ( it will be the first time out of home range for me )
how would you plan the re charging on route ?

Any advice most welcome

Thanks

·
Registered
765 Posts
Take a look at A Better Route Planner (ABRP) To get an idea of where to charge. Zap Map will also help you confirm that a charger is working.

You'll definitely have to stop a few times and it will help if you can keep your speed down a bit. But your car is easily capable of doing so.

·
Registered
2017 Flame Red Leaf 30 Acenta
278 Posts
Easy peasy. I mean obvs I'd never have the cahonas to do it in my 30kw, but yeah, go for it.
Let us know how it goes with live updates on this thread as the journey unfolds.

·
Registered
349 Posts

So a M25 M40 journey
If I am brave enough to go ( it will be the first time out of home range for me )

Any advice most welcome

Thanks
Al- I did a similar distance 293miles in my 30kw leaf a year ago. How I planned it was to make the first stop the longest, then shorter distances between the next charges. Is it a continuous round trip or will you have any overnight stopovers?
This is my report Bournemouth to Blackpool and back using the Nissan...
I was a bit tightfisted and wanted to see if it was possible to do it via all the Nissan dealerships free of charge. If you use any of the dealers be sure to call them a week before to book it in then again the day before to confirm each location, get the name of the person you spoke to and WRITE IT DOWN!!!! o_O That way when you pull up to the charge-point and there is a pile of vehicles in front you can quote the person's name at reception.

I wish you all the best with your trip, and don't set a timetable of any sort, just take things as they come and enjoy the trip (as much as you can enjoy the M25/40). Personally I found the motorways to be the most stressful as I watched the % battery decrease and couldn't wait to get off the motorways onto the country lanes. See if there is a parallel route you could use rather than the motorways and you will have a much more enjoyable trip.
All the best Tony.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Basic principles say to plan stops at 60-mile intervals in a Leaf 24 to leave enough emergency range for plan B at each stop. That would dictate two stops each way - plus another at the destination.

Personally, on that trip, I would seriously consider going via Milton Keynes to ensure a first satisfactory charge as there are dozens of alternative Rapids there. That would be around 70 miles into the journey but even if you arrive with a very low state of charge you are virtually certain to find a working Rapid there. Then aim for the Welcome Break Services, Warwick, via Banbury, around 42 miles distance. A good top-up there will easily get you to the Kidderminster area another 40 miles or so further and leave a decent margin for the return plan.

Much depends on that return plan of course. An overnight stay or a quick same-day turnaround? Possible to destination charge overnight? Or look for a nearby Rapid to start the journey back?

If there is no destination charge available then the alternative is to try the Weaver's Wharf Polar Rapid in Kidderminster but it's showing out of order at present so seems to be unreliable.

Perhaps better to plan a short diversion South to the reliable Instavolt Rapid at Foley Business Park if Weavers Wharf isn't playing nicely. Then perhaps backtrack a bit to get onto the original route again and then stop at Warwick Services and Milton Keynes again. The downside to that plan is that you would need to stop at MK long enough to get a high % charge for the 70 miles trip home. Or, of course, stop somewhere on the last leg for another small top-up to get home.

·
Super Moderator
7,419 Posts
Basic principles say to plan stops at 60-mile intervals in a Leaf 24 to leave enough emergency range for plan B at each stop. That would dictate two stops each way - plus another at the destination.

Personally, on that trip, I would seriously consider going via Milton Keynes to ensure a first satisfactory charge as there are dozens of alternative Rapids there. That would be around 70 miles into the journey but even if you arrive with a very low state of charge you are virtually certain to find a working Rapid there. Then aim for the Welcome Break Services, Warwick, via Banbury, around 42 miles distance. A good top-up there will easily get you to the Kidderminster area another 40 miles or so further and leave a decent margin for the return plan.

Much depends on that return plan of course. An overnight stay or a quick same-day turnaround? Possible to destination charge overnight? Or look for a nearby Rapid to start the journey back?

If there is no destination charge available then the alternative is to try the Weaver's Wharf Polar Rapid in Kidderminster but it's showing out of order at present so seems to be unreliable.

Perhaps better to plan a short diversion South to the reliable Instavolt Rapid at Foley Business Park if Weavers Wharf isn't playing nicely. Then perhaps backtrack a bit to get onto the original route again and then stop at Warwick Services and Milton Keynes again. The downside to that plan is that you would need to stop at MK long enough to get a high % charge for the 70 miles trip home. Or, of course, stop somewhere on the last leg for another small top-up to get home.
My Leaf 24 doesn’t even go 60 miles on a 100% charge, never mind 70 after an 80% rapid charge :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
My Leaf 24 doesn’t even go 60 miles on a 100% charge, never mind 70 after an 80% rapid charge :rolleyes:
Luckily he isn't driving your car. The first post says he gets an indicated 90 miles on a full charge in his car, so 70 miles to MK should be possible in these temperatures.

·
Super Moderator
7,419 Posts
Mine “shows” 65-70 after a full charge, but can’t achieve it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My Leaf is a 17 reg , I have only ever charged it at home on the 3 pin granny charger , Batt condition shows 12 bars
It di show 101 miles on one charge , regularly shows 93 90 89 depending on the state of charge at re charge time
It has done 18500 miles from new
If I use a rapid charge does the end up giving a lower range ?
Thanks for the advice so far , I'm bricking it now :)

·
Leaf lover
4,243 Posts

So a M25 M40 journey

Any advice most welcome

Thanks
Would I have wanted to do the adventure back in 2012 in my lovely blue Leaf, you bet.
As long as I had no time constraint and no wife on board.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
869 Posts
My Leaf is a 17 reg , I have only ever charged it at home on the 3 pin granny charger , Batt condition shows 12 bars
It di show 101 miles on one charge , regularly shows 93 90 89 depending on the state of charge at re charge time
The GOM shouldnt be used to judge range as it’s jut a guess. What’s your actual range you can drive from 100% to vlbw?

·
Registered
765 Posts
If I use a rapid charge does it end up giving a lower range ?
You can't rapid charge to 100%. Realistically you'll be slowing down a lot once you pass 80% so that's the time to unplug. It's bad practice to block the charger up and charge slowly beyond that. So a rapid charger doesn't give you less range, but you're not charging all the way to full each time.

As is being said above, the range your car predicts isn't what your car is capable of, especially at higher speeds. In a 24kWh model with a fairly healthy battery I'd still not be expecting more than 50-60 miles at a time on the motorway in average weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Those numbers sort of suggest around 5% degredetion.
For the leaf assume 82 x 0.95 = 77 miles
At these temps no loss from cold. (1mile per every 4 degree F below 40)
X 80% for each leg after the first then minus 12 miles for plan B.
Knock off 1 mile for air con on your first leg
So 64 for the first leg and 50 for every leg after that.
As noted if you can do Milton Keynes you can prob do 70 miles as you don't need 12 miles for plan b there.
Don't use cruise control. Use the speed limiter instead.

*maybe the charging networks got better since last year and 12 miles is overkill?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Those numbers sort of suggest around 5% degredetion.
For the leaf assume 82 x 0.95 = 77 miles
At these temps no loss from cold. (1mile per every 4 degree F below 40)
X 80% for each leg after the first then minus 12 miles for plan B.
Knock off 1 mile for air con on your first leg
So 64 for the first leg and 50 for every leg after that.
As noted if you can do Milton Keynes you can prob do 70 miles as you don't need 12 miles for plan b there.
Don't use cruise control. Use the speed limiter instead.

*maybe the charging networks got better since last year and 12 miles is overkill?
I know how the cruise control works but what it the speed limiter and how does that work ?

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I know how the cruise control works but what it the speed limiter and how does that work ?
Speed limiter causes the accelerator pedal to resist making the car go faster than the set speed. But can be over-ridden by a kick down in an emergency. Quite useful in areas where the Chief Constable has a speed camera fixation.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts