Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Those numbers sort of suggest around 5% degredetion.
For the leaf assume 82 x 0.95 = 77 miles
At these temps no loss from cold. (1mile per every 4 degree F below 40)
X 80% for each leg after the first then minus 12 miles for plan B.
Knock off 1 mile for air con on your first leg
So 64 for the first leg and 50 for every leg after that.
As noted if you can do Milton Keynes you can prob do 70 miles as you don't need 12 miles for plan b there.
Don't use cruise control. Use the speed limiter instead.

*maybe the charging networks got better since last year and 12 miles is overkill?
Don't forget that your battery will get very hot from the Rapids and the rates for the 2nd and 3rd charges will be slower than the first Rapid. You will need to pause additional time at each stop to let you battery cool down - ideally with the bonnet lifted to help airflow. If this is a one day journey you can hire an ICE for around £30 from Enterprise and sit at the speed limit and not worry about your battery or having to be in with the HGVs and with similar fuel costs (a similar jouney for me in a hired Fiesta ST which I thrased on a cross-country rally route cost about 15p/mile - on Rapids it costs at least 10p/mile in the LEAF at a genuine 60 cruise - driven like the hire car it'd have been twice as much). To me a no brainer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Don't forget that your battery will get very hot from the Rapids and the rates for the 2nd and 3rd charges will be slower than the first Rapid. You will need to pause additional time at each stop to let you battery cool down - ideally with the bonnet lifted to help airflow. If this is a one day journey you can hire an ICE for around £30 from Enterprise and sit at the speed limit and not worry about your battery or having to be in with the HGVs and with similar fuel costs (a similar jouney for me in a hired Fiesta ST which I thrased on a cross-country rally route cost about 15p/mile - on Rapids it costs at least 10p/mile in the LEAF at a genuine 60 cruise - driven like the hire car it'd have been twice as much). To me a no brainer.
Really , I will have a look or ask my daughter if I can use her car , OH the shame
Petrol head daughter V eco friendly Dad , Boy will I get some stick ,
Err maybe a hire car that she will not know about :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Be brave! You need the experience.. as once you become confident with the car you'll never look back. There's now NO DISTANCE i won't attempt in mine. I go to London or Birmingham and back once a month. The 'only' consideration is learning to drive it like a hgv - so allow double the usual time for such a journey. Just use the app to find your nearest '2' rapid chargers when you've around 40 miles of charge left.. so that if the 1st is Out Of Order when you get there, you've still enough to find the next one.
Seriously.. its brought the enjoyment of motoring back to me after nearly s decade.. so im NEVER going back if i can help it. If you decide to go for it.. let us know how you got on (cause i signed up just to write this!)

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
Sounds like you need to get Leafspy and to do at least one journey locally from 100% to vlbw to really give you insight into just what your battery is capable of.

After that do some local longer drives work a rapid or two to see how the battery heats dependent on what speed you drive, again to get an idea of what your car is capable of

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Be brave! You need the experience.. as once you become confident with the car you'll never look back. There's now NO DISTANCE i won't attempt in mine. I go to London or Birmingham and back once a month. The 'only' consideration is learning to drive it like a hgv - so allow double the usual time for such a journey. Just use the app to find your nearest '2' rapid chargers when you've around 40 miles of charge left.. so that if the 1st is Out Of Order when you get there, you've still enough to find the next one.
Seriously.. its brought the enjoyment of motoring back to me after nearly s decade.. so im NEVER going back if i can help it. If you decide to go for it.. let us know how you got on (cause i signed up just to write this!)
I am a HGV driver by trade so that will be easy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sounds like you need to get Leafspy and to do at least one journey locally from 100% to vlbw to really give you insight into just what your battery is capable of.

After that do some local longer drives work a rapid or two to see how the battery heats dependent on what speed you drive, again to get an idea of what your car is capable of
I have Leaf spy and the dongle but have not been able to get it working :confused:

On a full charge I can do work and back 3 times 71 miles and have 17 miles on the remaining mileage , charge at home twice a week at £4.10 per time

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I am a HGV driver by trade so that will be easy
Bit of a busman's holiday then. ;) But I bet that you don't take breaks every 50 miles to refuel even at 8-10MPG.

·
Super Moderator
7,415 Posts
With a Leaf24 overheating is not really an issue, - I have done 7 rapid charges in one journey before hitting the red temperature bars. If anything your second and third charge will be quicker than your first.

Bonnet open will not help the battery cool in any way - it's under the floor!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Bonnet open will not help the battery cool in any way - it's under the floor!
Edd
Give it a try - it does make a quite substantial difference. The cooling on the topside of the case is really ineffective when the car is static (presumably) as their is no airflow across it. Opening the bonnet encourages the airflow.
On the mega 7 charge journey was that before you lost any bars (and hence at higher charging rates)?

·
Registered
783 Posts
It's doable, but it will be tedious.

Couple of things to note: Start out from 100, but don't bother rapid charging above 80% in a Leaf 24, it is quicker to move on and charge again. In fact, if you can be sure of access to rapid chargers, the fastest way to travel is to charge to about 65% and run down to 5%, stopping every 40 miles or so, but in reality the time overheads of pulling over, plugging, faffing with charge apps, etc means that it doesn't work out faster.

Remember that when you're driving an EV the fastest route isn't necessarily the fastest route. For example, your journey comes out as 160 miles each way, 2hr46 min by M25/M40 on google maps. However, the M1/A5/A422/M40 route is 149 miles and 3h. Given that distance means more time charging then the shorter "cross country" route can sometimes be the more optimal EV route. I also find that energy use on A-roads is less than on motorways even at a given speed (ie a 60mph a-road tends to result in lower energy use than sitting at 60mph on a motorway), perhaps because your average speed works out even lower.... I just enjoy a good A-road drive personally!.

Our longest excursion in the Leaf 24 was about 230 miles - GL19 to EX2 and back in the day. We took 6 rapid charge stops (Gordano, splash'n'dash at Bridgwater because we weren't going to make it (winter, wet, headwinds), Taunton Deane (planned breakfast stop), Exeter rapid, then 1hr on Granny lead nearby at our destination, then Bridgwater and Michaelwood on way back) and had no throttling or temperature issues (but it was December 23rd!). Your journey can be done with 6-7 rapid stops in better weather.

My own plan for your route would also depend heavily on time of day and traffic. My brother lives in IG1 so I'm familiar with some of the issues of route planning from that area - The North Circular can be significantly shorter distance, but of course it can be horrific for traffic. I rather like the look of north circular to A40/M40/A40 to oxford, follow the A44 to worcester, charge at lidl in droitwich, and back by a similar route. Evesham offers plenty of chargers.

·
Super Moderator
7,415 Posts
Edd
Give it a try - it does make a quite substantial difference. The cooling on the topside of the case is really ineffective when the car is static (presumably) as their is no airflow across it. Opening the bonnet encourages the airflow.
On the mega 7 charge journey was that before you lost any bars (and hence at higher charging rates)?
Probably before losing any bars yes, but still around 90% SoH I'd guess. It was at least five years ago now, maybe six. It was only 250 miles as well! Back then the ecotiricty chargers all topped out at 43kw anyway, so even when you got max speed it wasn't all that fast.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Please dont do it. You do not have the experience of the jungle out there which is the unreliability of chargers. The GOM readings you have been seeing bear no relation to motorway driving unless that is what you have been doing.

The range/charger anxiety will make for a very stresful journey of very long duration and you will not have done your batt much good. In short EVs are not at their best on motorways. Best advice hire a car.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
841 Posts
Please dont do it. You do not have the experience of the jungle out there which is the unreliability of chargers. The GOM readings you have been seeing bear no relation to motorway driving unless that is what you have been doing.

The range/charger anxiety will make for a very stresful journey of very long duration and you will not have done your batt much good. In short EVs are not at their best on motorways. Best advice hire a car.
Yes I think I agree, at least until you have had a bit more experience with driving to a lower soc and at speed.

I only say this as your replies referencing the GOM as your reference to range strikes me as someone that may not regularly drive the car to a low state often, or at varying (motorway) speeds, I apologise if I am wrong.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
There are more than enough reliable Rapids on this route to charge regularly at 40 to 50 mile intervals which will still leave sufficient for plan B at each one. And anyone is capable of driving at 60 mph indicated, if needed, which gives a huge saving of energy over 70 mph. With frequent short stops to charge, the slower average actual driving speed is irrelevant in the overall time involved in such a journey. This is well within the capabilities of a Leaf 24 and a mere four years ago was what we all did as a matter of course as that was all that was available.

This kind of journey has always been a matter of careful planning and plan B and C selection at each Rapid but if done properly results in a stress free trip. As we said in the military its all about the 7 P's.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
One other thing I can't understand is Why Oh Why not have one charge card / app , what we have now is like trains in the early years everyone did their own thing and all trains run on different size tracks , That's what we have now with charging points
One fear is that I will need a charge and don't have the correct card / app when needed

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I have a 24KW leaf , On a full charge the milage shows 90 ish

The journey I want to make is from RM10 onto DY10 then back to RM10
So a M25 M40 journey
If I am brave enough to go ( it will be the first time out of home range for me )
how would you plan the re charging on route ?

Any advice most welcome

Thanks

Certainly a brave pill as those rapid charges after 70% or so SOC are going to be SLOOOOOOWWWWW

Personally it may be better to stop charging at that point and take the range hit for the shorter time spent charging over all

·
Registered
741 Posts
One other thing I can't understand is Why Oh Why not have one charge card / app , what we have now is like trains in the early years everyone did their own thing and all trains run on different size tracks , That's what we have now with charging points
One fear is that I will need a charge and don't have the correct card / app when needed
I'm certainly not defending it, but thankfully mobile data coverage is basically everywhere. So worst case you get to a new network of charger you've never seen before and can spend a minute or two downloading the app or visiting their website to get a charge going. So unlikely you'll end up stranded.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2 weeks ago I went from rossendale to Glasgow in my 2015 24kw leaf
I realised I'd have to charge plenty on the way there and back and I used zap map to give me a bit of a clue but found the ecotricity chargers to be horrendously expensive and I'm still trying to get my head around the amount they claw out of your bank account before they settle on a final costing
Genie I couldn't get to work at all???
And thankfully I managed to get by with the ecotricity I did use but without the Instavolt chargers I did find I would have struggled
instavolt were excellent
Still took me over double the travelling time it would normally take but I'm glad I did it 😀

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I think all Providers ear mark the money to differing extents on your account. it protects them and you to a certain extent. just be thankful your maybe not visiting ionity, polar or Instavolt as dread to think what some of those high powered units ear mark.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts