Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think all Providers ear mark the money to differing extents on your account. it protects them and you to a certain extent. just be thankful your maybe not visiting ionity, polar or Instavolt as dread to think what some of those high powered units ear mark.
CYC £1
Chargepoint (Instavolt) £5
Electric Blue £10
Ecotricity £12 (Contactless enabled Efacec units planned to take £24)
Polar 50kW £15
Engenie £29
Fastned £29
Polar HPC £30

Once they get wise to the fact that the contactless limit has now been increased, I wouldn't be surprised if they also increased the Pre-auth amounts.

They're the only ones off the top of my head, but I'll update if I can think of others.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
It makes sense that they would cover the maximum amount you could take, it's just annoying that they take so long to release.

Another case for memberships being a good option...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yeah, it's the reason why I have RFID Cards for all the networks wherever possible. As someone who regularly drivers long distance the pre-auth charges can really mess up my finances and make it impossible to keep track of my spending.

Different banks seem to handle these charges differently. One of my accounts will hold the charge for 7 days before it drops offf and then charge the correct amount in a sepeate transaction. The other corrects the held amount and clears the transaction after just a (working) day or two.

I'd still prefer to see them work more like the self service fuel pumps do though. Hold £99 when you start fuelling. Correct the hold to the actual spend amount as soon as you finish. Since with EV Chargers you are tapping your card at the start AND end of the session anyways, it makes it even easier for them to do this. Yet not a single network I have tried has bothered to set things up that way.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I guess being tap to pay instead of chip and pin it makes it slightly different.
Just think how much the pre-auth charges must be on Ionity!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts