Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm a newbie on here, but have been keenly following Nissan Leaf sites for a while. My 16 year old Vauxhall Agila failed its MOT last week (a list of faults as long as my arm) and so I think the time is right to dip my toes in the EV waters.

I was hoping for some advice.

There are three 2015 Acenta models nearby all on for essentially £10K give or take a few quid.
I'd be paying cash, so no financing and no free servicing from Nissan or whatever they are offering for finance deals at the moment.

Car A - 8400 miles 3.3kw charger Metalic Red (Fairly Local Offical Nissan Dealer)
Car B - 15000 miles 3.3kw charger Black (Very Local Official Nissan Dealer)
Car C - 23,869 miles but 6.6kw charger Solid Red (Local "RAC Check" Dealership, not a Nissan one)

Everything else seems equal (same year, same grade, same quality, all 12 bar batteries, no missing SD cards! all have cable etc). I guess I wouldn't be eligible for the free pod point charger with the RAC one, but would with the Nissan dealers? but that's only a couple of hundred quid I think even if I cant get one through the Nissan scheme.

Does that pricing seem ok and which one would you recommend? Would it be better to get the lowest mileage car even though it's only 3.3? or the highest mileage one with the 6.6, but it isn't a Nissan dealer? Is there much difference between a car with 8400 on the clock and 23,800?

As a family, we only probably do about 6K miles a year, and would mostly be around the local town and back, 99% of trips in a 30 mile radius. I work from home so could charge day or night most of the time, so I guess 3.3kw wouldn't be the end of the world? plus 3 times a year rapidcharging our way 100 miles each way along the M62 to visit the inlaws.

Thanks for your help, I feel a bit lost with this as I haven't bought a car from a garage/dealer in about 15 years, my cars since then have been from friends or family so I'm a bit lost! I'm not even sure how much I should try and haggle the price down. Or if I should even try!

Sorry for waffling

·
Registered
241 Posts
Others will advise you on leaf purchase better than I, but haggle, sales folk will expect you to. Always satisfying to get price down. Also nothing wrong with a little waffling...all the best with your EV purchasing...

·
Registered
848 Posts
We have a 6.6 and I wouldn't be without it, but it is a choice that your daily mileage and local charging may dictate. The 6.6 should have two cables, a 7kw T2 and the 3 pin granny cable, that's worth a little. We got 30k from our first set of tyres, so the 6.6 car may be looking at 4 new tyres soon check that and build that into your haggle (£300).

·
Registered
181 Posts
It depends very much on your usage - but on 6,000 miles a year I should be very surprised if you missed having the 6.6kw charger. In four years owning our 24 KWH leaf and 27,000 miles, I can only think of 2 or 3 occasions when the 6.6 charger would have been useful - and never essential. If most of your charging is at night at home the smaller charger is of no disadvantage. Only if you are likely to do many long journeys where the only charger available on route is a 7 kw (or 22kw), or if you needed to charge very quickly at home, would the 6.6 charger be really useful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments!
@peterca - I think you are right, that we wouldn't miss the 6.6 (plus we can't miss what we've never had!)

I'm in Chester too, btw.

·
Registered
540 Posts
With the new leaf having 6.6 as standard i wonder if public perception might turn to seeing 6.6 as "standard" and therefore increase the rate of depreciation for 3.3 models?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can apply direct to Pod Point for the free charger, if you have a Nissan purchase order number. I bought a Leaf at a Nissan dealer a few weeks ago, they weren't aware of the free chargers and I had to do it on my own, but it was very easy. You won't get a free charger if you buy the car at the independent dealer.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As mentioned 6.6kW charger doesn't sound like a must-have for you.

Even if you don't need it (or want it) might be worth taking the finance as you could get £1000 off (deposit contribution) and 2 years free servicing...

You could then just pay it off shortly after, but if it's 0% then presumably you could do something better with the money.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I would agree with DanP, look at the Nissan finance options. I did because it saved an extra £1000, and there was £2k off recently, might still be the case. 0% or a pcp might be worth it if the discount is right.
I bought a Leaf with 28k on the clock, very low miles to me as I usually buy them with many more miles on than that.
My thoughts on the battery after reading lots of posts on here is that a very low mileage car might not be great for the battery health anyway. A battery that has been used regularly is still likely to be in good health but if a car has sat at 100% charge for to long it doesn't help the battery anyway. It doesn't mean it will be a wise battery, but it might not be any better anyway so I decided to ignore the mileage within reason. I haven't seen anyone else say that, just my thoughts and why I bought a car that had more miles on it.
I do about 25 miles commute plus extra running around most days and don't miss the 6.6kw charger, but I would at times when I have to go out in the evening, or a busy weekend when I would do more like 60-80 miles in several short trips running the children around, going to the shops etc. We are OK as we all have an ICE, but if it's your only car you need to have a good idea of your miles on a busy day, unless you have a rapid charger near by.
So the 6.6kw charger is only useful if you need to add extra miles throughout the day to extend the range.
I bought from a Nissan dealer, the Chorley group who have cars listed on here, because they had the best discounts, and my understanding is Nissan dealers get the cleanest cars that come back on the pcp's, but you can tell that from inspecting the car anyway.
Lots of waffle!

·
Registered
532 Posts
6.6 charger one as it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I can say from my perspective, when I have tried to charge up with 3kw and waited nearly 5 hours to get sufficient charge to our next destination I am thankful that this occurrence has only happened twice. The first times was my wife had left the type 2 cable in the house when I left for a long journey and the other was when the type 2 charge point had been vandalised in Germany.
Having that 6.6 charger (though it should have really been 22kw) is a god send, even if you think you don't need it, you will, even if you think you'll never have use for it, you will. I've driven to Sweden and back and am now in France with our 24kw Leaf and having the 6.6 (when at a type 2 charge point) has got us where we needed to go without the long long long wait to get sufficient charge to our next destination.

We've have travelled 27,000 miles in our leaf and I have not noticed a massive drop in mileage, if driven economically, I can get 90 miles from a full charge with 15 spare to find a charge point. If hammering down the road (say being pushed along in cold conditions by either Swedish or German autobahn drivers) I'd get 80 miles from a charge and have 5 spare for a charge point.

When we first got it the car would read an estimate of 115-119 miles to a run, after 27,000 miles it now reads 105-107. Not bad considering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts