Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thinking of buying a 2nd hand PHEV and surprised not to see more discussion about comparing those in the ~£10k range.

We live in Central London but the plan is to move out to somewhere in about six months where we can charge at home (not remotely possible at the moment). But it'd be useful to have a car for now so I'm looking at cheap PHEVs.

Ordering PHEVs by price on Autotrader these seem to be the main two models. As there are so few Amperas this seemed like a sensible place to post.

The way I see it, the pro's and con's are:

Ampera
Better range (EPA 33miles)
I prefer the size

Outlander
Range only EPA 22 miles
Bigger (15 cm longer I think), but at least it's 5 seats and the boot is roomier
It's got fast DC charging so I've got a chance to use it when out and about which doesn't realistically seem possible in London at the moment with the Ampera.
Standard spec seems to have more 'toys'

Anything else I'm missing? I've heard the Outlanders have had problems with battery degradation but the Ampera is rock solid.

There seem to be *very* few places to get an Ampera or Volt serviced, but Outlander PHEVs are very common.

Either would do for the vast majority of our trips with electric range when we're able to charge at home.

I don't think there's a huge difference in MPG when being driven in standard 'Hybrid' mode.

Anything I'm missing, other thoughts?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Do you have a commute or a routine journey in mind that's near the Ampera range?

If not, I'd take the Outlander.

I love my Ampera, it manages my commute incredibly well (35 miles each way and charging both ends).

But the uncertainty about Vauxhall in the UK and ongoing Ampera support would put me off unless I needed the range.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The mpg is far better in the Ampera when the battery's run out (45-55mpg compared to low-mid 30's) and the battery range is typically 35-45 depending on time of year.

Mine might be coming up for sale in several months' time, when my Kona EV Electric turns up...?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do you have a commute or a routine journey in mind that's near the Ampera range?

If not, I'd take the Outlander.

I love my Ampera, it manages my commute incredibly well (35 miles each way and charging both ends).

But the uncertainty about Vauxhall in the UK and ongoing Ampera support would put me off unless I needed the range.
I would bear this in mind. The Ampera hasn't been sold in the UK for some time now, and it didn't have the best service support at the best of times. It's lovely car and very cleverly engineered - the problem is it's a bit *over engineered* and that is going to be a problem when you do get problems a few years down the line. The Mitsu PHEV is ubiquitous and not going anywhere soon. They are pretty big for UK roads though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ampera because you can regenerate your battery with mountain mode if you know how to use it smartly.

10c weather and high motoring I regenerated 35 extra miles ...double my range. And best part I get back .45p per mile.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Umm, you do realise that you get worse efficiency burning petrol to regenerate electricity to then use for normal driving?? Far better to engage mountain mode before 50% battery left, use mountain mode then until you have about 25 miles remaining and then switch back to electric.

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
Ampera because you can regenerate your battery with mountain mode if you know how to use it smartly.

10c weather and high motoring I regenerated 35 extra miles ...double my range. And best part I get back .45p per mile.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
So can The a Outlander, you wouldn’t want to do it in that car either!

·
Super Moderator
10,880 Posts
Outlander
Range only EPA 22 miles
Bigger (15 cm longer I think), but at least it's 5 seats and the boot is roomier
It's got fast DC charging so I've got a chance to use it when out and about

I have a few comments. We are seriously considering replacing our LEAF 30 with an Outlander Commercial.

Paying to use a public rapid charger is generally uneconomic. If you are an Ecotricity customer, you can use their rapid chargers for about the cost as charging at home. Otherwise, it isn't worth the time and money to plug the car in.

The current 2019 Model Year Outlander has a new engine, 10% larger battery and a new rear electric motor. The new car goes slightly farther on battery and uses a bit less petrol when the battery runs out. Mitsubishi also updated the chassis and suspension.

I know a new 2019 is probably out of your price range. PHEV's don't get the Plug in Car Grant anymore either.

The Commercial still qualifies for the Plug In Van Grant. That knocks 20% off the price but the car only seats 2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts