Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I bought my first leaf around a month ago. Although we are going for a 2 leaf house hold! I have the standard leaf and i was wondering what is your opinions on the 6.6kw on board charge option.. Is it worth the extra £850.

I have the home charge installed and I did pay the extra £150 just incase .

All Advice Welcome

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Do you regularly charge away from home on 7kw, type 2 charging? If so then probably well worth the extra cost as it will halve your charging time. Many wouldn't be without it. I am considering upgrading to a Mk2 from my Mk1 and I would not consider a Leaf now without the 6.6kW charger.

It can also help if you arrive home empty and will need the car later same day.

It is a personal thing though... if you need it then yes, it is worth it... if you are not likely to need/want it then probably not :)

I am probably not a lot of help but that is about the short and long of it :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Undoubtedly yes. Over the life of the car you'll find the utility of quick charging invaluable. Dont parse or analyse, invariably the times you'll need it are unforeseeable and you'll discover more reasons over time as to why you need it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Undoubtedly yes. Over the life of the car you'll find the utility of quick charging invaluable. Dont parse or analyse, invariably the times you'll need it are unforeseeable and you'll discover more reasons over time as to why you need it.
AND over the next 2-3 years there will be more and more places where a 7kw or 22kw charge option is installed which your 6.6kw charger can take advantage of as Charge networks continue to expand

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent guys. I try and use rapid charge points as often as possible but being based in Northern Ireland we dont have too many! So yes I do quite a bit of type 2 charging in my current leaf!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Absolutely. I bought a 3.3kw car and it's the only drawback - knowing I could have held out for a 6.6! The trouble is, having driven the car for 11,000 miles in 6 months, I shudder to think what the depreciation would be if I changed now. 6.6kw gives you much more flexibility.

·
887 Posts
My next car will be a Leaf, and it'll have to be the 6.6kW option. I've found I've got out and about much more with my 3.3kW Leaf than I'd imagined I would, and a faster charge would have been handy at times, so worth a few hundred£ premium to me (on a second-hand model).

·
Super Moderator
12,000 Posts
First time you have to sit at a 32A public charger, you will be glad you paid for the 6.6kW upgrade.

6.6kW option will make the car easier to sell. Probably won't do much for the price.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Don't forget1st October see's the price change:
6.6Kw charger down to£300
Free EVSE cable
I've only seen comment, not an actual price list, but I understood 6.6kW was increasing to 1150GBP, but with the EVSE now included?
To clarify, from the 1st October 2014, The 6.6kW upgrade is increasing by £300 from £850 to £1150 to compensate for now getting both the Nissan EVSE, and the Nissan T2-T1 cable.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yep, I just got the 6.6 charger Leaf Tekna and mine came with a type 2 lead. I then persuaded the dealer into an EVSE as well ;)

Well worth the extra cost. I can charge from about 30% to almost 90% in an Asda shopping trip that I was doing anyway for nothing. Saves me using my home electricity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts