Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just booked leaf 2018 40kwh in for second service cost £205 a bit high but acceptable. I then mentioned that the 12v battery did not hold its charge so well, as the dash cam on park mode now doesn't last 12 hrs before being switched off by voltage dropping below 12v. I was told that they would do a diagnostic test for £99 unless a fault was found in the 12v charging and in that case it would be free. Has any body else been come across this monetry charge. The person I was speaking to said it was a standard charge throughout the car industry.
Cheers Len

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sounds like a faulty battery to me. In a 3 Yr old renault, I got them to replace the battery under warranty but that was after an RAC assessment after it failed to start.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
867 Posts
Did you clarify what a diagnostic test is? That’s hell of a lot for a multimeter to be held over the terminals for 2 seconds!

;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To get the main battery readings etc they must put the car on the diagnostic test any way?
The nissan 12v battery is not the greatest but I would have thought that the charging would have been initiated when the battery dropped to 12.2v the but it seems not to do so. I think what ever they would have found it would not be a nissan fault i mentioned about fitting a better battery but they said "we only fit nissan supplied batteries" if the blackveu power magic was a little more adjustable it would also help i must lookinto the blackveu options. It may less to service an ev compared to an ice vehicle but it seems that the dealers will get their money some way.
Len

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
867 Posts
Remember Nissan are funny about such things as the blackvue battery backup, so you may want to unplug it first.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
867 Posts
Also it’s worth checking what discharge depth your 12v is at when you have left the camera on for 12 hours, if it’s deep discharging 12v‘s knackeres them up as they are designed for a brief high output e.g. starter motor.

What conditions do you leave the car in when you find it discharged? On or off charger, do you use timed charge at all?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
867 Posts
@DBMandrake gave an excellent explanation of when the Leaf 12v charger operates and which conditions stop it from charging, I’m sure he could offer his thoughts.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a blackveu connected into a live fuse and controlled through a power magic so no separate battery. Nissan are funny about everything like out of date sat nav maps control app that are unreliable servers that spend more time off than on there are a hundred reasons why this will be my last service and my last nissan. A shame realy as it is a nice car but dealerships and service spoil it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The battery never discharges to the point of not operating g the starting cycle but it drops to 12v and this is where the power magic switchs off the dash cam. When I got the car in Sep 2018 the first thing I did was to have a blackveu dash cam fitted and the parking mode worked well for 8-9 months but gradually the holding voltage has dropped i would have thought that the 12v charge iniation would have been earlier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just booked leaf 2018 40kwh in for second service cost £205 a bit high but acceptable. I then mentioned that the 12v battery did not hold its charge so well, as the dash cam on park mode now doesn't last 12 hrs before being switched off by voltage dropping below 12v. I was told that they would do a diagnostic test for £99 unless a fault was found in the 12v charging and in that case it would be free. Has any body else been come across this monetry charge. The person I was speaking to said it was a standard charge throughout the car industry.
Cheers Len

Contact Nissan GB customer care and request them to look into it.. the battery should have been checked before customer handover which is recorded in the log book... if it doesn't have a "good battery" entry then advise them as the dealer should have checked before handover.... FYI I asked for a service discount and got 10%

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I realy wanted to know was at the service the diagnostic apparatus is connected to the car (i presume it is as they check the traction batteries) surly £99 is a bit much to look and see a reading.
Len

·
Registered
4 Posts
What I realy wanted to know was at the service the diagnostic apparatus is connected to the car (i presume it is as they check the traction batteries) surly £99 is a bit much to look and see a reading.
Len

The dealers use a Midtronic batt tester for the 12V.. its a separate process to the 40K batt, I don't think its on the service check... only on customer complaint

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question what tells the onboard 12v battery charger to start to charge the 12v battery obviously it charges from the 40kwh battery but at what voltage must the 12v battery be at to activate this operation or is it controlled some other way that was what I thought the diagnostic could determine
Len

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you think that there is a problem with your car surly the dealer should try and elevate your worries not threaten to charge you if it is not so.
What ever happened to customer service?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
867 Posts
I think all Leafs have built in random number generators, if they throw a double they decide to charge, if it’s a full moon and your cat is walking backwards.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
867 Posts
Maybe that’s the answer!....

Get a cat? ;)

I wonder if it’s worth turning off park mode and seeing if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A CAT
Thats handy for finding buried cables and water pipes trouble is they are over £500 for a good one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts