Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the second service done at Arnold Clark HQ in Hillington, Glasgow. Basically it was just the pollen filter that was changed. Still the mechanic sends me a link to the video of my car up on the ramp. Original tyres: 4.5 mm on front, 5.2 on back. Brake discs....good as new. Brake pads.....this is where it gets funny....the mechanic goes "Well, being an electric car....only 10% wear on the brake pads.....what do you expect. Thank you for using Arnold Clark". I was sitting in the cinema before my film started and burst out laughing.

The chap in the video did say it being a second year service he's only be replacing the pollen filter.....and nothing else.......easier money than ever for the dealers now these new electric cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just had the second service done at Arnold Clark HQ in Hillington, Glasgow. Basically it was just the pollen filter that was changed. Still the mechanic sends me a link to the video of my car up on the ramp. Original tyres: 4.5 mm on front, 5.2 on back. Brake discs....good as new. Brake pads.....this is where it gets funny....the mechanic goes "Well, being an electric car....only 10% wear on the brake pads.....what do you expect. Thank you for using Arnold Clark". I was sitting in the cinema before my film started and burst out laughing.

The chap in the video did say it being a second year service he's only be replacing the pollen filter.....and nothing else.......easier money than ever for the dealers now these new electric cars.
How much did they charge out of interest?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I payed £390 as 3 year service package including MOT. Basically, not much per year for peace of mind. I'm sure Jaguar etc you pay more

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
So did they remove the rear drums and clean out any brake dust, Did they clean and lube the pad sliding surfaces (seem like a lazy bunch?). What about the infamous Zoe brake fluid replacement?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,115 Posts
Brake fluid after 2 year? I see what you did there ;-)

But seriously. I know AC has a somewhat sketchy reputation on this site (I don't know, I am on "the continent"), but the standard service is mostly an inspection exercise. Bulbs, fluid levels, bearings running free, parking brake setting, check fault logs, a bit of paperwork, etc. It's about an hour work. I once was allowed to stay in the workshop at my trusted dealer. Pollen filter is actually optional and at your discretion. I have disagreed with the DIY crowd here over the services being "necessary" or "easy money" before and won't rehash that discussion, but suffice to say that it is my opinion that for the "it should just work" type of drivers *) the price, nor the documented work (if performed by AC!) performed is unreasonable.

Having said all that: isn't it great that "we" spew out a lot less brake related particles? I always cringe when I see the ICEs here speed-then-brake from speed bump to speed bump here.

*) I would venture to say if somebody buys all in service for 3 years, that qualifies for not being in the DIY crowd, and more in the "just has to work" category.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
yoh-there
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing