Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

First time poster here, so be gentle ! :).

I picked up a new (to us) March 2017 Tekna 30 two weeks ago, showing 5 stars in all categories on the Nissan battery health sheet, 12 bars on dash.

Then I did what I should have done before buying and checking it out with leaf spy - 85.44 SOH.

Needless to say I am less than impressed, HV battery is showing 4NR6A so there's no salvation to be had from a BMS update.

Any suggestions on how to handle the conversation that I am about to have with the Nissan dealer, I think I'm not going to get very far with them ........

Can I realistically hope it improves over time ? or when the weather warm up ?, or is this >5% per year degradation inevitable. Seems most folks are doing much better than this.

The car has spent its like in the UK, so i would suggest ambient heat has little to do with it.

Any advise or messages of sympathy will be gratefully received.

Leafspy's attached:

SOH.jpg
Leaf ECU versions.jpg

Kindest Regards,

John W

·
Registered
481 Posts
That's pretty bad for car of that age and mileage.
I have similar SOH but mine is 2015 24kWh model with 36K miles.
As you have only owned it for one week depending how much you paid I guess maybe try to refund (probably not going to happen).
I guess it comes down to can you argue that it is as described and return it as per consumer rights act?

I'm sure there are people here who actually know more about it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So Nissan provide you with a report that says battery is whoopee do and clearly it is not, what sort of range do you get at 100% charge ?
I would say this has clearly been miss sold to you, however I do believe it needs a BCM update as sure the version should end with "C" that may bump soh up a bit.
On the other hand it has 100000 mile or 8yr warranty on the battery so if it does take a dive you can put in a warranty claim.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
If private sale, you're stuck with it. But I gather that isn't the case here.
As it was from a dealer it depends whether you signed for it on the dealer’s premises or not.
Read this:
If you signed the contract for the car on the dealer’s premises there is no cooling-off period.
However if you purchased over the phone or online, "In a nutshell, you have the right to cancel from the moment an order is placed until 14 days after taking delivery of the car "

If the car still seems good value in any event you may, of course, wish to stick with it.
Chances are that one has sat around with a full charge for longish periods of time so may settle where it is for a while.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
So Nissan provide you with a report that says battery is whoopee do and clearly it is not, what sort of range do you get at 100% charge ?
I would say this has clearly been miss sold to you, however I do believe it needs a BCM update as sure the version should end with "C" that may bump soh up a bit.
On the other hand it has 100000 mile or 8yr warranty on the battery so if it does take a dive you can put in a warranty claim.
4NR6A/B were not in the BMS update list.

Most cases SoH shown by that firmware is over 100% (when new) with slow decrease.

This particular car has SoH of 85%. I'd try return it or get deep discount.

Especially so if you paid 15k for it.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for responses to date, appreciated !

To answer the question on range - range at 100% yesterday morning was 96m, Jumping to 103 with eco on. Soon went down though... but if its based on the last few miles use (which I understand it is), then I was driving, (Ahem).......enthusiastically. Time will tell on this front, heater lights and wipers all wont be helping.

The car is otherwise great, I'm not sure there's much to be gained in the 'miss-sold' route. The battery sheet was just what it was - A Nissan Battery Information sheet showing 12 bars and that it had been treated nicely (5 Stars), Vin correct on the sheet. So no real misinformation there.

Battery's do degrade, and we know the first bar is lost at 85%. The degradation is bang in line with this graph:
nissan-issues-statement-on-leaf-30-kwh-battery-degradation.jpg

I had hoped that the BMS update had cured that, but as mine has a software level that is not eligible for update: 4NR6A then I guess that a non starter.

It was signed for at the dealers and yes, paid top dollar for what I had hoped was a good car (after seeing quite a few that were showing battle scars).

I will have a conversation with the dealer (very big Main Nissan Dealer), but based on the above considerations, I'm not sure how far I'll get. I wanted to solicit input from your pool of collective wisdom before going into battle, as it were.

I fully expected 90% plus, based on the posts I had seen on this forum, however lady luck spits squarely in my face yet again!🙄

Any more suggestions or messages of condolences gratefully received.

John W

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, I have no technical knowledge but as a comparison a couple of weeks ago also bought a 30kwh Leaf first registered 31/1/17 and 4NR6A 0608 HV BATTERY. I got my Leaf Spy last week and saw a SoH of 92.84% and Hx 81.21% at 16069 miles. Since then it has improved to 93.78% and Hx 82.41%.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4NR6A/B were not in the BMS update list.

Most cases SoH shown by that firmware is over 100% (when new) with slow decrease.

This particular car has SoH of 85%. I'd try return it or get deep discount.

Especially so if you paid 15k for it.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Dave,

I see from your post in a separate thread:

"In summer, Leaf30 can manage 100 miles at decent speed - 60mph. Winter range is more like 85-90 miles"

That would (at least initially) seem to be about my range. Is it possible leaf spy is telling lies ?, what do you recon ?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Dave,

I see from your post in a separate thread:

"In summer, Leaf30 can manage 100 miles at decent speed - 60mph. Winter range is more like 85-90 miles"

That would (at least initially) seem to be about my range. Is it possible leaf spy is telling lies ?, what do you recon ?
There are so many factors especially when the day is cold and wet. In those instances Leaf efficiency tends to nose dive.

Leaf Spy is but an app that reports what it reads. Yes the system could be wrong so Leaf Spy could report incorrectly.

When I managed 100 miles, the SoH was 95%. I'm sure it's from not too far.

Pump up the tyres (38-40 kpa) and efficiency goes up a notch. Preheat the car and less heating related usage.

My Leaf has settled to 92% SoH - not far from 91% when I purchased it (jumped to 96% after LBC update) having done 22k miles.

What is your expected daily usage?

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
146 Posts
The degradation shown on that bottom chart for the 30kWh LEAF was due to the software misreporting. That was fixed with the update. If your car doesn't have that buggy software, it should be more in line with the top chart.

I need to have a similar discussion with the dealer soon, my 2016 30kWh leaf is showing less than 80% but it looks to me as if the dealers attempt to do the BMS update failed. Have to get them to try again :(

I suspect a lot of these cars sold by dealers are being damaged by those dealers not knowing what they're doing and keeping them fully charged on their forecourts for months at a time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think you have to speak to the seller first and see what their response is. If you are not satisfied then escalate it to Nissan UK. From what others have said here and other forums Nissan's service has gone downhill over the last 12-18 months so don't hold your breath.
For reference I have the same car similar mileage and SOH of 98%.
My 100% range on GOM is 120ish but drops to 110 after a couple of miles.
I know this is not what you want to hear but you can voice this when speaking to the dealer.
Your still have 5-6 years battery warranty so depends on your usage profile if this is going to suit you long term.
Good Luck

·
Registered
302 Posts
....... I suspect a lot of these cars sold by dealers are being damaged by those dealers not knowing what they're doing and keeping them fully charged on their forecourts for months at a time.
I'm travelling to Grantham a lot at the moment and the only charger in town is at the Nissan dealer, so I see it when I look on ZapMap. It is always showing as in use, even now at 9:30 in the evening, so I guess there are cars plugged in and fully charged all the time.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I'm travelling to Grantham a lot at the moment and the only charger in town is at the Nissan dealer, so I see it when I look on ZapMap. It is always showing as in use, even now at 9:30 in the evening, so I guess there are cars plugged in and fully charged all the time.
Nissan rapids tend to be busy with at least one person waiting all the time. Wish Polar had a rapid around where I live. Only paid rapid is Genie point but with £1 connection fee I just can't being myself to charge there

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good luck with dealer, from what I have seen here and on Facebook group, 85% seems very much at the low end of what it should be for age and mileage. Our March 17 Tekna 22kmiles was at 98% SOH when I checked earlier. Same battery firmware as yours so not eligible for update.
Generally shows 125-130miles at 100% this time of year, we average 4.3miles/. In reality we get 100-110ish miles from a charge.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nissan rapids tend to be busy with at least one person waiting all the time. Wish Polar had a rapid around where I live. Only paid rapid is Genie point but with £1 connection fee I just can't being myself to charge there

- Leaf 30 kWh
It's only 2 x 7kW points.

We have 1 x Polar rapid in town, broken for 3 weeks now!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought 2016 30kWh Tekna from a main dealer last month. I had it on leafspy before purchase so I knew the soh was about 84% but it has 55k miles and was keenly priced. I'm not going to try and baby the battery, maybe I'll get a warranty claim it of it and a new lease of life in time.

As a main dealer purchase, intelligent choice, can't you ask that they replace it with one of at at least the same value of you aren't happy within a month? At least to try and make sure you are getting a car worth the money.

"
30 DAY/1,000 MILE EXCHANGE PROMISE
Because Nissan technicians have made every effort to ensure your used car looks, feels and drives as good as new, we confidently offer you a 30 day/1,000 mile exchange promise. In the unlikely event your Nissan Intelligent Choice used car develops a fault that cannot be resolved within the first thirty days or 1,000 miles (whichever occurs first) of your ownership, we will exchange it for another of our approved used cars of at least equal value."

1 - 20 of 55 Posts