Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topped up using my 3.3kW leaf using my 32amp podpoint today and I got 30percent in 87 minutes. From 57 to 87 percent charge. The battery has 86% soh on leafspy, so maybe I've got 21kWh capacity. 30% of that is 6.3kWh. So I'd expect that to take almost 2 hours. Can the 3.3 charger actually run at a faster rate, more like 4kW?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think it's actually 3.6kW

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
UK is 230vac,
Well, it depends where you are. Living in a rural area, near to the substation transformer, the voltage I get is on the high side, and this morning measured 249v!!
The change in the nominal UK electricity supply voltage from 240v to 230v was for most people just a play on nominal values and tolerance limits. Originally the supply voltage limits used to be expressed as 240v +/- 6% (=254v to 226v). When, for 'European harmonisation' the nominal voltage was changed to 230v, the UK limits were set at +10%/-6% (=253v to 216v) and no actual change was made in the actual supply voltage. [For European countries who previously had 220v supplies, the limits were set at 230v +6%/-10% (=244v to 207v) and most of them probably kept their old actual supply voltage.] This means that equipment designed to work on 230v +/- 10% can work in all European countries.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I found that my Leaf seemed to charge slightly quicker than the Ampera on my 16 amp unit? Or am I clouding the waters even further?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UK is 230vac, leaf spy reports my charging to be 3.3kWh. I am not 100& sure if it is 3.6 or not - I do know I don't get 3.6. I also found it seemed to Charge faster than I thought it would.
Leafspy gives 3.5kW charging, at 78% full. I'll have to check at lower SOC as I guess it may vary (could 3.3 be an average?)

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I was actually hoping someone could explain the difference.... ie is the Ampera 3.3 and the Leaf 3.6?

Or did you just swallow a sarcasm pill this morning @Umpa? :cautious:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Maybe we could come back to the point OP raised. Even at an optimistic 3.6kW, less than an hour and a half charging would give less than 5.4kWh, which even at 20kWh capacity would not make 30%, just 27%.

It is not a huge gap to bridge though, a factor 0.9. If you assume that even at 100% SOH at 24kWh does not have more than 21.5 kWh of useful charge (and I never found any evidence that my brand new 24kWh Leaf did), then at 86% SOH there's only 18.5 kWh left, and I'd say you are within the margin of error.

Another explanation could be that the battery % readings are not very accurate. I've seen some curious things happen that made me doubt whether all changes to the percentage really always reflect charging/discharging of the battery faithfully. The manual even says that it doesn't always (even though I don't think the case evoked applies here): it says that at a fixed change level, if the temperature drops, then the capacity of the battery may drop causing the percentage of charge to rise!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Thanks @Lee Dalton - for a short while, after getting the Leaf I thought that Chargemaster had inadvertently given me a 32 amp charger rather than 16 because I got more miles in an hour on the Leaf than the Ampera.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I live pretty close to an electrical substation and I've measured our supply at 249v. Leaf Spy reads a fairly constant 3.6kW when I am charging.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Thanks @Lee Dalton - for a short while, after getting the Leaf I thought that Chargemaster had inadvertently given me a 32 amp charger rather than 16 because I got more miles in an hour on the Leaf than the Ampera.
Yeah its quite frustrating in a lot of ways, because you could Pretty much pull 3.3 from a standard 13a plug ;)

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
I live pretty close to an electrical substation and I've measured our supply at 249v. Leaf Spy reads a fairly constant 3.6kW when I am charging.
Until recently my day job was developing and building solar farms. When we connected our first 5MWp solar farms in 2011, the inverters kept tripping. The tolerance built in to their software allowed up to 250v. After investigation, Western Power were rather surprised to find that the local circuit was running as high as 255v when the office in the cold store at the end of the road switched on in the morning.

Meanwhile back on topic, my leaf definitely charges quicker than my Ampera - but then I suppose that's the 6.6kw charger at work.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,295 Posts
My Fluence would charge up at 3.8kW at times. [250VAC (variable) x 15.2A (fixed)].

That's be 5.7kWh in 90 mins. Probably around your figure, give-and-take the approximations in battery SOC estimation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts