Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
New here please be gentle.
I'm sure this question has been asked before but not sure what I would search for so im starting a new thread.
I have ordered the 3.3KW Nissan Leaf but a 32amp charger from charge-master for the house, they offered me the free 16amp but i thought the 32amp would charge faster is this the case or would I also need the 6.6KW onboard charger for the leaf as well?

Its a question that im sure is easily answered but its not mentioned anywhere in any blurb or told the purchaser of the car.

Regards Confused Richard ;-)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi Richard

You are correct if you only have the 3.3kW charger you can only charge at 16A.

Plugging it into a 32A charger will not make it charge any faster

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, how long would the leaf take to charge from empty at 16amp?
I won't upgrade as its a bit pricy for the 6.6kw.
I'll stick with the 32 amp for future proofing but thanks for clearing up that point.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Flat to full about 7 hours I think but a leaf owner will be able to confirm.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The 3.3kW Leaf will charge slightly faster on a 32amp charger. I've clocked my Leaf pulling 4kW from my 32amp Rolec charger.
As an side, good luck with the Charge Master charger. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys, i wish it was this clear when I purchased the car.
The guy in the show room didn't really know much about the charging side of things, kinda left it up to me.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
7,575 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, i wish it was this clear when I purchased the car.
The guy in the show room didn't really know much about the charging side of things, kinda left it up to me.:mad:
Which dealership was that?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
We have a member on this forum @Newtown Motors Nissan based in Cwmbran called Andrew.

Hes a very knowledgeable dealer and drives a LEAF too.

Shame it's 40+ miles from Swansea.

As the above members have said, if your not doing alot of daily trips. That need quick re charges during the day. It's hard to justify the extra £800 or whatever it is.

On the other hand it really is handy to have the 6.6kW charger for example, if you drove from Swansea to Cardiff (circa 50 miles) within 2 hours of recharging you can do the return trip with out rapid charging.

Also a 6.6kW LEAF will definitely be worth more and will be easier to sell, when that time comes.

Tough one really, but in my opinion 6.6kW should be a standard anyway! Come on Nissan!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
True but you do not have to be face to face now to gain knowledge

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My daily journeys are around Swansea and home then the same the next day. The ocassional trip to Cardiff and that's about it. So by what your saying the 3.3kw should be fine for me?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 3.3kw should be fine, I'm in no hurry to charge quickly, plus there's a 30 main charger within 3 miles of where I live :cool:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The 3.3kw should be fine, I'm in no hurry to charge quickly, plus there's a 30 main charger within 3 miles of where I live :cool:
All sounds good to me. Sensibly you'll be able to do 85 miles range on average and this should be more than ample for day to day trips.

If you access the Polar Instant app (£20) then you'll likely find a bunch of chargers at Asda, Waitrose etc which as you run your daily errands you may well be able to use. You'll also have the EVSE in the boot and will be able to use 13A sockets where appropriate.

Just a quick thought. That Chargemaster unit you ordered: did you request the gun or the socketed connection? If the latter then you'll also need to buy a charging cable for the LEAF. This will be around £160

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The range for day to day use is much much more than I actually need so it wont be an issue this range anxiety. Quite frankly it wont be flat to full more like half to full.
I feel much more informed now and I obviously don't need the 6.6kw charger, ill still get the 32amp from chargemaster.
I ordered the socketed type but the leaf comes with a cable is that what you mean?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I ordered the socketed type but the leaf comes with a cable is that what you mean?
If this is the case then you will need to purchase a 32 amp rated Type 2 (7 pin plug) to Type 1 ( 5 pin car) cable for about £165 from our friends on here http://nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/product/j1772-to-mennekes-cable-32a-5m
You personally do not need a 32a rated cable but a) It's future proofing and b) Some public 32a posts have had issues with 16a rated cables.
It also means you have to get your cable out of the car boot every time as opposed to using the unit's tethered cable and plug. The home unit suppliers now seem to only suggest the 'Universal' Type 2 socket for 32a installations. Why - cheaper, and they neglect to tell you, you will need a suitable cable?
Your LEAF will only be supplied with the 3 pin EVSE as standard having the 'standard' 3.3 kW on-board charger. If you had of upgraded to the 6,6kW on-board charger then a Type2-Type1 cable is supplied in lieu of the 3 pin EVSE, which in my opinion is a worse deal as the Nissan EVSE costs nearly £500 and many buyers like having it in the boot for that just in case moment, also there are still many older on street 3kW 3 pin posts.
Of course having a 32a Type 2 socket unit will future proof you for 'nearly all' future cars like the Zoe, i3, eUP!, eGolf etc, that's maybe assuming you may go down that future route?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If you have ordered the socket type you will need a type 1 to type 2 cable.

This is about £160

1 - 20 of 34 Posts