Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have owned my Ampera for 3 months and have now done 4100 miles.
What a fantastic car . My Lifetime MPG is not brilliant at 78MPG because I did a 2100mile holiday to Austria where the average for the holiday including 4 charges I managed to get whilst away was 52MPG.

Whilst on holiday I took the Ampera up Austria's highest mountain pass called GrossGlockner that rises to 2500 metres. The toll for the road is 33euro but you get a 10euro discount for an EV . Drove all the way up in mountain mode and it coped very well with the steep slopes and switch back turns. For the journey down I put it back in normal mode and selected low. With all the regen going down the mountain I had a full charge!!! by the time we got to the bottom. . It did seem to mess up my predicted range though, after the next Full Charge it read 60miles!!

Pro's
No range anxiety
No having to think about Petrol prices
Quiet/smooth EV drive
Very Easy and relaxing to drive.
Fantastic quality Sound from the Radio
Very good Air-Con
Sides of the Ampera seem to always stay clean
Sat Nav Points of Interest is extensive

Cons
Initial Cost if the Car
Bugs with Radio DAB and Presets
Only 4 Seater
No Onstar/Voltstats as they have in the States
Luggage space a bit smaller that I am used to.
No rear wiper
Back of the car gets very dirty/dusty very quickly
Front skirt grounds all the time
Sat Nav not taking Full Postcode

I have no regrets about my purchase and would do the same again!!

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Great stuff! I'm still really chuffed with mine after 9 months, lifetime mpg is 134. And yup, you've highlighted all the same pros and cons as me and many others :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I blow hot and cold about my Ampera. I agree with all your pros and cons but sometimes the cons get me down so much that I get into the frame of mind that I want to sell it. Then I try to imagine me without it and I realise that in spite of the cons I do actually love driving this car and I would simply not find any replacement anywhere near as good. You will find me saying I'm selling, then a week or two later I've changed my mind again.

I think what it is is that the good points are SOOO good but for me the bad points really get at me... particularly the satnav.

The truth is that it would cost me megabucks to sell it so quickly after buying that I won't be selling until there is an obvious replacement that will be better for me. Can't see anything on the horizon anywhere near close yet!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Paul C

It's really good to hear that you have weakened in your resolution to sell. I cannot agree more that there is nothing out there at the moment or on the horizon which, in my view, comes anywhere near what the Ampera has to offer. Most days I am out in mine and even more than a year on I still get a thrill when I get behind the wheel. During the week it's driven hard and mainly on the motorway and it never seems to lack the extra surge when needed. At the weekend it becomes an extremely relaxing cruiser gliding silently over last winter's potholes.
Having said all that I do have to agree with most of Paul's Cons but they really do not detract from my enjoyment of a superb piece of machinery.

Clive

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Thanks Clive. Yes, I think that there will be times when I feel like I want to sell it but the feeling passes... especially when I think of the money I would lose!!!

I shall try to be a bit more enthusiastic again. I have felt a bit down in the dumps about it all recently but I am perking up a bit again now. It is a great car in spite of the niggles but I have to remind myself that every car has its niggles. I am just sad that this car has the niggles that it has given it is meant to be state of the EV art.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts