Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Used for 40 mile each way weekday commute, plus weekend commute of 160 miles each way.

Does daily commute on a charge each way, air con seems to use relatively little power, but heater seems to really affect range, both used on Eco.

Average economy 138 mpg to date, average on petrol (Shell VP) only 51.3 mpg.

Only problem so far is that on a long trip the flashers seem to develop an irregular beat, still work, but a bit odd.

Battery charge capacity has dropped from 10.7 Kva to 10.6 Kva.

Would be a good idea if it was re-programmed to hold a little battery reserve so that when you need to accelerate whilst on generator the delay was eliminated during generator wind up - can be disconcerting when you are used to the normal immediate response.

Wish the seat would go up a bit more, visability out is not good particuarly when reversing, I know there is a camera, but you seem to sit very low and there is plenty of headroom - I am 6 feet 2 inches.

Fitted HID lamps as although the units have expensive Phillips bulbs they are not much good and with my 5.00 am starts I spend 75% driving in the dark. - HID, 20 minutes work and £25.00 has transformed them - no flashing from cars coming the other way as the headlamps are shadow mask projector and do not relay on an accurate position for the light source, also only use 35 watts, total 70 watts as against the standard lamps which take a total of 110 watts - why are they not fitted as standard?

Overall though brilliant, what else will hold 4 people, get to 60 mph in 9 seconds and do 138 mpg, plus only being 5% car tax.

Derek

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I thought that HID headlamps are not legal unless fitted with self-leveling system. This means that effectively it is not possible to fit aftermarket HIDs legally in the UK. Anyone know anything else about this as I would love to fit HIDs but will only do it if it can be done legally.

I have noticed the delay when running on petrol and I accelerate. I agree... disconcerting.

I think you mean 10.7 kWh not Kva don't you?

I am getting about 55mph when running on the generator... speeds usually 65-70mph.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
derekjmathers said:
Would be a good idea if it was re-programmed to hold a little battery reserve so that when you need to accelerate whilst on generator the delay was eliminated during generator wind up - can be disconcerting when you are used to the normal immediate response.
I haven't driven enough with the generator running, but my understanding is that it does hold sufficient battery reserve for acceleration in all but the most extreme cases (which is where you should have been using mountain mode).

What I think you may be noticing is the delay switching from the mode where the ICE drives the generator to provide electricity for the main motor to the mode where the ICE drives the wheels directly (as well as providing power for the main motor).

Most of the mode changes are pretty seamless: e.g. from main motor to using both motors combined just changes a couple of clutches and the second motor starts off at 0rpm, but when the second motor is being used as a generator the sequence is: open clutch to disconnect ICE from generator; reduce generator rpm to 0; release ring gear clutch to chassis; engage ring gear clutch to generator; spin up generator rpm to match ICE rpm; re-engage clutch to connect ICE to generator. I believe that complicated dance is what gives you a delay when accelerating with the generator running.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I see the delay when there is even mild acceleration. It isn't in extreme cases only.

In my opinion, when it is running on the generator because you have run the battery down to zero miles it shouldn't have that kind of delay in normal acceleration at 60mph. I could understand it if I had floored it but I am talking about modest acceleration.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If there is any delay I must have missed it. The only disconcerting thing about accelerating in engine mode is the way the engine revs like a diesel multiple unit which it basically is after all when you floor it!4
I am now 2 months and 4,000 miles and still loving it! Lifetime 105mpg (over 4,000 miles) 125mpg (over previous 3,000 miles). So much depends on driving style and journey lengths. It also sparks a lot of interest wherever I go.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
The car does keep some back to aid accelerating, but I think it is part of the buffer that is built up from braking and going down hills etc.

I've noticed when I put the car in hold mode with 5 miles range remaining that after a stint in a traffic jam, I had 0 range when coming back out of hold mode, so that is clearly the same buffer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts