Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here got a an electric Peugeot with the optional 3 phase, 11kW charger?

When you plug it in on a 7kW home charger, does it charge at 7kW or 3.5kW?

Getting differing info from differing sources.

2020 Kona for example has 3 phase but still draws 7kW from a 7kW post.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,386 Posts
Allegedly the Corsa E with the same 3 phase charger is only 3.5 kw not the full 7. I'd think you'd have to borrow one and check it. That is a sample size of one owner that lent a youtuber their corsa though.

I avoided it by getting a 7kw car as I realised it was simpler. Single phase car and single phase home charging. There's been some issues with the Konas and Niros going phooop on single phase with their 3 phase charging as well. It seems to be a minefield.

·
Registered
993 Posts
There seems be bit confusion here perhaps ...

I for example have i3 with 11kwh charger AC .

Can pull 7kwh at home and 11kwh from 22kw public charger.

If I wanted I could pull 3kw changing setting in car.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There seems be bit confusion here perhaps ...

I for example have i3 with 11kwh charger AC .

Can pull 7kwh at home and 11kwh from 22kw public charger.

If I wanted I could pull 3kw changing setting in car.

The e-2008 has a 7kW charger as standard.

There’s a factory option for an 11kW three phase on board charger. It’ll only pull 11kW if you have 3 phase electric supply at home.

Peugeot have told their dealers to tell customers this means it will only pull 3.5 on a normal domestic single phase supply via 7kW charge point.

Some information Peugeot have published and that on the Peugeot France website differ.

I’ve been offered a built car with the 11kW option fitted. We’ll take the car even it does only charge at 3.5kW but it’d be nice to know for sure.

One of those things where only someone with that car and setup will know for sure.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-2008 GT-LINE
103 Posts
It will charge at 7 at home as long as your charger is 32ah

I don't think this is correct from what I understand each phase will be around 3.5 KW so if you have 3 phase supply you will have this x3 around 11kw total but if you only have single phase supply which most of UK homes have you will only draw the one 3.5kw so will charge slower than the 7kw standard charger.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,836 Posts
It depends on whether Peugeot have copied other manufacturers such as Renault and VW who have systems that change how the chargers are connected depending on the number of phases and run two of the 3.6kW ones to get 7.2kW on single phase.
As the OP says the information is conflicting so he'll only find out by plugging the car into a single phase charge point.
As a left field suggestion you could change the wiring in the lead to provide the single phase to two different lines and hence chargers. This slightly overstresses the Neutral wiring but works well on the Mercedes B250.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,836 Posts
But you haven't got the 3 phase charging option, so you'd expect to charge at ~ 7kW.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,323 Posts
EV Database says the 11kW charger will pull 7.4kW from a 7.4kW wall box-

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, Peugeot have been telling their UK dealers to tell customer that cars with the 11kW onboard charger will only charge at 3.5kWh if attached to a 32A 7kW wall charger.
They’ve also said it’ll only charge at 11kW at home if you’ve got 3 phase charging at home which most people won’t have.

Obviously the 2nd part of that statement is absolutely true.

The first though someone on the e-208 / e-2008 Facebook page disproved the other day. There’s a photo of their charger plugged into a 2008 with the 11kW OBC delivering 7kW from a 7kW post.

Peugeot are pretty consistent at this sort of nonsense which is why for me, this has all become a moot point.....Because after waiting for more than 3 months, Peugeot decided to tell customers with e-2008 GTs on order that they now have no idea when they’ll be built. Our leasing company told them to bog off and cancelled all of the orders they had with them.

Having tried the ID3 today and been left feeling a bit “meh” by it, we’ve ordered a new Kia e-Niro 4 for the missus instead which arrives next week.

·
Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta
219 Posts
Over on the e-Up section New e-up! charging speed

They have had the same issue but it sounds like it is being fixed with a software update.

It does make me think that the building regs should require 3 phase 11 or 22 kw for new build properties with drives as well as EV charging points. Then at least some of the UK's housing will eventually end up with more adequate provision.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,323 Posts
It does make me think that the building regs should require 3 phase 11 or 22 kw for new build properties with drives as well as EV charging points. Then at least some of the UK's housing will eventually end up with more adequate provision.
There's a new housing estate going up in S Wales where all houses have 3-phase power, Solar, communal heat pumps & provision for 22kW V2G chargepoints.

·
Premium Member
11,588 Posts
So, Peugeot have been telling their UK dealers to tell customer that cars with the 11kW onboard charger will only charge at 3.5kWh if attached to a 32A 7kW wall charger.
They’ve also said it’ll only charge at 11kW at home if you’ve got 3 phase charging at home which most people won’t have.
I suspect unlikely and is what happens when an OEM isn't a manufacturer any longer but just buys in parts and assembles them. Almost all 3 phase OBC are designed to switch the modules so they can parallel up two 16A modules to do single phase 32A. Many will even do 48A x 230V for North America market where 200A home supplies (which we have in Florida) are not uncommon.

·
Premium Member
11,588 Posts
We haven't yet got to point where new houses require any EV charging under building regulations, so let's walk before we run!

For almost all new homes of typical size with good insulation and efficient heating 100A single phase is more than sufficient to accommodate 2x32A charging points with load monitoring. 7kW adds plenty of range overnight, the people who need more are definitely in a minority!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how do I tell if I have an 7 or 11 kwh charger? I specced the 11 but it was changed before build to a 7 because the dealer told me about the single phase issue in the UK. I got my car yesterday and was surprised that a 22kwh charger only charged my car by 8 kwh in 1 hour 15 minutes!! Or is this normal?? I'd be grateful of any advice e or guidance as this is my first ev.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts