Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

The new OLEV docs published in Nov permit use of the grant to install a 3-phase EVSE. Does anyone know which manufacturer and installer can providesuch an install?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I would expect any of them could supply an EVSE to suit as the only difference is a 3 phase breaker and contactor inside it with a 3 phase lead to the type 2 plug.

If your supply and metering is 3 phase then it should be straight forward.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It depends on what OLEV have authorised so far. ABL have a three phase unit authorised at the moment, and I'm sure there are other units listed as well. There will likely be more made eligible for the grant in the near future but it may be a while considering OLEV have also just launched the Workplace Charging Scheme.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Pretty sure Rolec will do one. I had mine wired for 3 phase from the house when I had it installed, on the basis that I would only need to change the module and hook up the extra wires (or get a sparky to do it) when I get a car that will benefit from it.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Pretty sure Rolec will do one. I had mine wired for 3 phase from the house when I had it installed, on the basis that I would only need to change the module and hook up the extra wires (or get a sparky to do it) when I get a car that will benefit from it.
Your house has a 3 phase supply? That's unusual. Did you spec it as part of a self build?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Your house has a 3 phase supply? That's unusual. Did you spec it as part of a self build?
No, it's a barn with an ancient but rather good electric heating system. I didn't realise I had 3 phase until I had the survey for the charger.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Chargemaster already offer one and hopefully price will reduce if they get it approved and grant can be applied...

Chargemaster Plc - For Home

·
Vendor
1,650 Posts
This is only worthwhile for Zoe owners isn't it? Does any other BEV charge at 22kW+ AC

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
This is only worthwhile for Zoe owners isn't it? Does any other BEV charge at 22kW+ AC
Only Zoe (of the currently available mainstream EVs) goes as far as 22kW. Older Tesla Model S did 22kW if an option was purchased; newer ModelS and Model X only go to 16.5kW with the option.

However, I think there's a fair few that can take advantage of the 3-phase to get 11kW - Tesla Model S/X (if faster option not taken), BMW i3, some Mercedes, probably others that I'm not aware of.

In some parts of Europe, it's easier to get 16A three-phase (ie. 11kW) than it is to get 32A single phase (7.3kW).

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
Tesla and new i3 both do 11kW on 3 phase as does B Class. Very useful for B Class as only 3kW with single phase.

I think we will see a lot more 3 phase cars. 32A single phase is difficult in a a lot of European homes - 16A 3 phase is a lot easier to accommodate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts