Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know what happens if you wire a 3 phase plug direct to a type 2 connector without having the PP and CP cables?
Would be a 32amp 3 phase plug wiring L1 to L1 L2 to L2 and so on, would this charge the GTE or would it come up with a charging error or just charge at all?
If this won’t work what is needed to make it work? I have 3 phase at work and want to charge with it I know the GTE can only charge at 3.7kw am I best staying at 240v and I don’t wana buy an expensive charge point :)
Cheers
Lewis

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’ve got a 3 phase at work that I use a charger to plug into it and then into the car so I doubt it’ll work wiring straight into it. The car also talks to the charger to see what current it can charge at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve got a 3 phase at work that I use a charger to plug into it and then into the car so I doubt it’ll work wiring straight into it. The car also talks to the charger to see what current it can charge at.
Thanks for your message, well this is what I’m thinking I know they talk but does anyone know what happens if just wired direct (assuming you run the correct current)? I noticed on the standard type 2 plug it’s labeled like a normal 3 phase plug as in L1, L2, L3, Earth and Neutral so if you wore that direct would it work?
Cheers
Lewis

·
The best there is at what I do
10,705 Posts
Thanks for your message, well this is what I’m thinking I know they talk but does anyone know what happens if just wired direct (assuming you run the correct current)? I noticed on the standard type 2 plug it’s labeled like a normal 3 phase plug as in L1, L2, L3, Earth and Neutral so if you wore that direct would it work?
Cheers
Lewis
It won't work, the car needs the signalling pins to start the charge which it won't if they are not present.

You could make up an adaptor to use the granny lead, just wire the 13A socket to one of the phases, you will need to make sure it's fused appropriately because the phases on a 3 phase outlet are rated at 32A.

Something like this should work, just replace the 13A plug with the 3 phase plug that matches your outlet.

13A trailing lead with RCD - Google Search:

Make sure your 3 phase has L1,L2,L3, N and Earth, some 3 phase outlets only have 4 pins and the N is missing in which case your probably stuffed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Boomer2005uk, please please please get this done by a professional. A best you could blow up your charger, at the worst you could electrocute someone, maybe kill them.

This is not something a DIY'er should tackle. You would need to be sure of the pins on the command socket and corresponding plug. You need to make an assessment of the sites earthing arrangements and possibly augment the earthing.

If you already have a 3 phase commando socket outlet, you can buy commando plugs with 3 pin socket outlet like a short extension lead; not sure if you can get a 3 phase one (only one of the phases would be connected).

·
Registered
394 Posts
There's no point connecting three phases to a Golf GTE as the charger in the car only takes one phase. Also, the car won't start taking power without talking to a controller first, so just wiring the power in won't work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your inputs everyone so looks like direct power ply connection bad idea :-/
So leading from my first question what’s the best way to get power from the wall outlet 15meters to my car. I notice most cables max out at 10m and it’s looking like I will have to buy one of those expensive charge docks with an RCD which is so not needed as well be one at the main board anyways.
Why so complex with the 2 extra cables no different to plugging your mower in hahaha :)

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
See this site for cables designed for task but check all plugs and sockets for overheating regularly. They are not officially approved for a reason :rolleyes:

EV electric vehicle leads

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
Tried granny lead with extension and would t allow it to charge :-/
If it was poor quality that might happen due to voltage drop. Try a better one. See my link above.

·
Registered
383 Posts
it’s looking like I will have to buy one of those expensive charge docks with an RCD which is so not needed as well be one at the main board anyways.
Why so complex with the 2 extra cables no different to plugging your mower in hahaha :)
The difference is your mower doesn't have a 400V DC battery or draw 10A continuous. In the unlikely event of a DC fault, the RCD (probably a type AC) protecting your outlet may bind and offer no protection, using a granny or EVSE mitigates the risk.

Electric Vehicle Charge Point - RCD Safety - Electrical Engineering

If you really want to charge at 16A, and I can't vouch for them, but there does seem to be a few higher power EVSE options around. You may not like the price
Konfiguriere deinen NRGkick online! and short CEEform extensions are genarally OK.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,407 Posts
Tried granny lead with extension and would t allow it to charge :-/
So, what was the problem, specifically?

Start by setting the car to charge at 5A and see how that goes. Some 13A sockets fail the self; the first socket I tried in my house did.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts