Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
12,687 Posts
In principle (as long as it uses a sensible open PEN fault protection methodology) the only real difference between a single phase charge point and a three phase one is that it has an extra two poles on the contactor. Everything else is exactly the same. I could turn my charge point from single phase to three phase in about ten minutes, by swapping out the 2 pole main contactor for a 4 pole one. The cost would be around £20 to £25.

In theory, any charge point that's modular (and of decent quality) could possibly be made into a three phase one by retrofitting a replacement contactor. Any charge point that uses a DIN rail mounted contactor, and as long as there's enough space left on the rail it could just have it swapped over. Might need to open out the gland holes and fit new glands, as 5 core cable's a bit fatter, plus the charging cable would need to be swapped over if it's a tethered unit, but that shouldn't be a big job.

IIRC, all Tesla charge points, whether the TWC or UMC, are three phase capable, and the TWC has load management. They work just fine with non-Teslas, and aren't that expensive, either, especially as they use a pretty good quality cable. I think the only snag may be that you may need a Tesla account to buy one, but they do come up for sale on places like ebay from time to time.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.