Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

New (Australian) EV owner here, so please, go easy on me! :)

I've just purchased a used i360rex and the original owner didn't leave the charging cable in it, which was nice of him.
So I've been confusing/frustrating myself with a search for a cable.

I intend to charge the car exclusively at work, from a 3 phase socket in the car park about 1-2m from the socket in the car, which will be free -so very convenient.
Looking to purchase basically an extension cable with a 3 phase plug at one end and a Type CCS on the other and for the life of me I cannot find that solution.

The only option I can find is what I need plus a box in the middle with electronics, which I'm not sure I require, that is AU$1500+
I was thinking a 2-5m long 3 phase to Type 2 solution should be $500 absolute max.

Am I misunderstanding what I require?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
You need an EVSE, which is a box that ‘talks’ to the car. This can be portable or fixed.

You can get three phase versions, but they are more expensive.

Yes, they probably are $1,500 AUD new, once import taxes are paid.

Now you could try and get a second hand one. If you can find a Tesla UMC, the early versions support three phase charging.

However I’d question if you really need a three phase EVSE. You can get an adaptor tail to go from three phase outlet to single phase.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
105 Posts
There are EVSEs where all electronics is integrated into the Type2 connector, so it does look like a plain "3-phase to Type2" cable, e.g. https://eauto.si/en/products/charging/ (sadly the web page not fully translated to English). It's similar to the "granny" charger, but doesn't have the big box in the middle of the cable (NOTE: this means no RCD protection, thus should only be used on sockets that already are RCD protected!) and you can choose plug type, cable length, 1 or 3 phase, and Ampere rating.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need an EVSE, which is a box that ‘talks’ to the car. This can be portable or fixed.

You can get three phase versions, but they are more expensive.

Yes, they probably are $1,500 AUD new, once import taxes are paid.

Now you could try and get a second hand one. If you can find a Tesla UMC, the early versions support three phase charging.

However I’d question if you really need a three phase EVSE. You can get an adaptor tail to go from three phase outlet to single phase.

I only say that I want a basic extension cord because I've seen people charging without any electronics between the 3 phase outlet and the vehicle...

Is this not a suitable solution?
Or is it potentially dangerous?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,863 Posts
Yes, but it needs some electronics in the middle to communicate with the car to let the car start and control the charge - but these are hidden in the plugs sometimes. The type two has all three Live phases, Neutral, and the two pilots used for controlling the communication.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
Yes, it's possible.

Now that's a 10 Amp socket, so you're going to get potentially 8 kW from it?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
I only say that I want a basic extension cord because I've seen people charging without any electronics between the 3 phase outlet and the vehicle...

Is this not a suitable solution?
Or is it potentially dangerous?
Not possible.

You can plug it in but nothing will happen.

They will have been using some sort of portable EVSE, just it wasn't obvious to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was hoping for more, but I think 8kW is better than the standard 240V 10amp cable that BMW provide?

The standard cable as I understand it charges from empty to full ~12 hours, I'd like to get it to around 4 hours which is apparently 11kW.

Hey thanks, really appreciate the prompt replies!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
The standard cable as I understand it charges from empty to full ~12 hours, I'd like to get it to around 4 hours which is apparently 11kW.
The real question is how far is your round trip commute?

How long are you at work each day?

If you are able to plug in every day then you might find the standard EVSE is fine.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,863 Posts
It is possible - it is a 3 phase portable EVSE.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I did check eBay, no go unfortunately.
Also, wasn't too sure on exactly what I required.

So, an evse (cable) with the electronics somewhere along the way to 'talk' to the car.

So $1,500. Oh well.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts

Just to clarify, that video is the cable with the EVSE built into the Type 2 plug, as referenced above.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to clarify, that video is the cable with the EVSE built into the Type 2 plug, as referenced above.
Got it! Thanks that's what was confusing me. So it's a $1500 cord.

My round trip to/from work is 50-75km, I then will travel 50-75km for work most days and I spend 4-8 hours at work most days.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,780 Posts
Got it! Thanks that's what was confusing me. So it's a $1500 cord.

My round trip to/from work is 50-75km, I then will travel 50-75km for work most days and I spend 4-8 hours at work most days.
OK, so to cover the round trip (if you're not charging at home) that would be about 12.5 kWh.

8 hours at work plugged in with the 10 Amp, single phase EVSE (or granny cable) should be fine. (In fact you could get up to 18.4 kWh in a shift).

Then you can keep things simple and just buy an adaptor to go from the 3-phase socket to your single phase EVSE plug.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts