Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
VW e-golf 35kWh
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on getting charging installed at home. I've got an eGolf 35kwh. I don't currently have home charging so I am having to stop off at motorway services each day to charge up the car. I need roughly 20-25kwh a day to cover my commute which is 73 miles.

I'm with Octopus on an economy 7 tariff for the house. Current rates are 17.69p for day and 10.70p for night. If I go with a dedicated charger in the garage I'd look to go on Octopus Go for the garage supply.

I've got two choices when it comes to getting home charging installed:

1. Cheap and cheerful. On street parking. Install outside plug and use Ohme 3 pin plug charger. I can get the Ohme charger for £200 with the octopus offer. Outside plug would be Masterplug EVH132S1SP with RCBO in it. I would have to spur off a single socket in the kitchen that the washing machine is plugged into. I can't go back to the meter box as it's the other side of the house. Electrics are old as hell and it's a rats nest inside the meter box. I've got 4 fuse boxes and they are all the old Wylex push in wire fuse type. Some have been swapped for push in MCBs. Total cost would be £300 which I can afford to install now.

2. Install a proper charger in the garage. This has an off-street parking space. It is in a separate block to the house. It would need power supplied by the DNO which would cost £1800. Charger I would like to install is Sync EV at £600. Total cost would be roughly £3000.

It would take me at least a year to save up for a proper install in the garage. Will I kill the batteries in the car if I wait that long? Should I go for the cheap and cheerful option for now? Chances of burning down my house?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,788 Posts
Have you had a qualified electrician quote for upgrading your electrics for Option 1?

·
Registered
VW e-golf 35kWh
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you had a qualified electrician quote for upgrading your electrics for Option 1?
No. I have asked an electrician in the past about it and he advised they would need access to all plugs in the house to test if installing a new consumer unit. The house is hoardery. It's going to take a long time to get it into any fit state where I can look at getting the electrics upgraded. I would like to get it done eventually but I'm guessing it would not be cheap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would avoid option 1. You will be taking 2.4kW for long periods off a wiring circuit which sounds a bit dodgy. You would want to carefully check all junctions between the new socket all the way back to the fuse, to ensure there is no sign of loose screws.

Is the washing machine socket on a 30amp ring, using 2.5 sq mm cable? If so, then this should be safe, but only if you are 100% certain that there are no poor connections at any point round the entire ring. 2.5mm cable is only rated for 16amps generally, and is only safe in a ring circuit because it is assumed that the load will share itself between the two paths back to the fuse. If this is not the case, then you risk passing 23A (13a from the washing machine, plus 10 from the car) though cable and junctions that are not rated for that current. And that assumes no other loads on the ring. And this will be happening overnight while you are asleep.

Do you really want you take that risk?

I use a granny charger at home regularly off an outside socket. However, this socket is wired directly back to a 16a MCB with 2.5 sq mm cable and no junctions, so well within its safe limit.

PS I am not a qualified electrician, but have a degree in electrical engineering.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,788 Posts
No. I have asked an electrician in the past about it and he advised they would need access to all plugs in the house to test if installing a new consumer unit. The house is hoardery. It's going to take a long time to get it into any fit state where I can look at getting the electrics upgraded. I would like to get it done eventually but I'm guessing it would not be cheap.
There’s a reason why car chargers are notifiable work - because they will stress the electrical system and cause you lots of money in damage. Potentially cause a fire.

You can take a risk, but it won’t be fun waking up to the smell of burning one night.

Sorry to be so dramatic, but it’s a risk. So it would be wrong to not have an electrician asses your system at the very least.

Is there anything stopping you getting the charger fitted to your house?

·
Registered
ID3 Life
188 Posts
Option 1 may actually be fine as an end product in your particular need, however, its the execution that you need to watch out for. I certainly wouldn't be spurring off a socket for this need without full knowledge of the wiring run and condition. Bearing in mind you're already wary due to what you can see. As with most things in life, if what you can see is bad, there's little the chance the hidden is better. Get a spark in to advise.

In the mean time, this ought to be required reading.....

·
Registered
VW e-golf 35kWh
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I think option 2 sounds the sensible choice. I don’t have a huge amount of faith in the house electrics. At least the garage will be all new install.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Is the washing machine socket on a 30amp ring, using 2.5 sq mm cable? If so, then this should be safe, but only if you are 100% certain that there are no poor connections at any point round the entire ring.
I seem to remember (but have not recently been able to find) the Wiring Regs specifically excluded connecting fixed space heating or larger water heaters onto a ring circuit. Car charging, especially with the OP's need for 20-25kWh per day, would certainly come under such an exclusion.

Do any of the Wylex fuses have Red spots (indicating they are rated at 30A)?, or do most of them have blue spots (for 15A circuits? (White spots are for 5A fuses which will be used for lighting circuits).

·
Registered
Puma GTE > Suzuki Jimny > BMW Z4 > Cupra Leon ST
86 Posts
If you guys would allow me I would like to hijack this topic to make a question of my own..
Which charge cable should I buy?

Background: After a 6 month wait quite soon my leased Cupra Leon St (PHEV) but without a Type 2 charge cable, so I would like to know which model should I buy in order to charge my car and future proof myself for when I finally get a BEV.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,788 Posts
For Type 2 to Type 2 cable, you want a three phase version that can handle at least 32 amps per phase. Then you can charge at 7 kW single phase and 22 kW three phase.

Now as you’re German and appreciate quality, you might want to look for a Mennekes cable. :)

Or look out for old Zoe cables.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Unless there are EU versions, this review says New Cupra Leon e-Hybrid on sale now | DrivingElectric 3.6KW charger and 13KW battery, which matches their webpage which says -
"Power through your day - 0-100% in 4h with a home wallbox charger. 0-100% in 6h with a conventional 3-pin plug."

So possibly no need for a 32A 3 phase cable, a single phase one would do - and will be cheaper, lighter, and easier to handle. Check the capacity of the charger on the car, you will be limited by the lowest of the car, cable, and wallbox.

edit - sorry missed the future proof in the question! Just randomly picked a website selling cables to compare prices - 3.6KW £120, 7Kw £130, 7KW-3 phase £156 - so not much difference any more!

·
Registered
Puma GTE > Suzuki Jimny > BMW Z4 > Cupra Leon ST
86 Posts
Unless there are EU versions, this review says New Cupra Leon e-Hybrid on sale now | DrivingElectric 3.6KW charger and 13KW battery, which matches their webpage which says -
"Power through your day - 0-100% in 4h with a home wallbox charger. 0-100% in 6h with a conventional 3-pin plug."

So possibly no need for a 32A 3 phase cable, a single phase one would do - and will be cheaper, lighter, and easier to handle. Check the capacity of the charger on the car, you will be limited by the lowest of the car, cable, and wallbox.
I am aware that the car can only charge at 3.6kW, but I'm trying to future proof myself buying a cable that will also work with a BEV.

On the cupra Website they sell a 16A type 2 charger for ~170 euros as an optional for the car.
I didn't got it because under the leasing I would be paying the full amount and giving it back at the end so I figured I would be better of by buying on the after market...

·
Registered
VW e-golf 35kWh
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I seem to remember (but have not recently been able to find) the Wiring Regs specifically excluded connecting fixed space heating or larger water heaters onto a ring circuit. Car charging, especially with the OP's need for 20-25kWh per day, would certainly come under such an exclusion.

Do any of the Wylex fuses have Red spots (indicating they are rated at 30A)?, or do most of them have blue spots (for 15A circuits? (White spots are for 5A fuses which will be used for lighting circuits).
I can see four blues and two reds. Here is my meter cupboard:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Looking for advice on getting charging installed at home. I've got an eGolf 35kwh. I don't currently have home charging so I am having to stop off at motorway services each day to charge up the car. I need roughly 20-25kwh a day to cover my commute which is 73 miles.

I'm with Octopus on an economy 7 tariff for the house. Current rates are 17.69p for day and 10.70p for night. If I go with a dedicated charger in the garage I'd look to go on Octopus Go for the garage supply.

I've got two choices when it comes to getting home charging installed:

1. Cheap and cheerful. On street parking. Install outside plug and use Ohme 3 pin plug charger. I can get the Ohme charger for £200 with the octopus offer. Outside plug would be Masterplug EVH132S1SP with RCBO in it. I would have to spur off a single socket in the kitchen that the washing machine is plugged into. I can't go back to the meter box as it's the other side of the house. Electrics are old as hell and it's a rats nest inside the meter box. I've got 4 fuse boxes and they are all the old Wylex push in wire fuse type. Some have been swapped for push in MCBs. Total cost would be £300 which I can afford to install now.

2. Install a proper charger in the garage. This has an off-street parking space. It is in a separate block to the house. It would need power supplied by the DNO which would cost £1800. Charger I would like to install is Sync EV at £600. Total cost would be roughly £3000.

It would take me at least a year to save up for a proper install in the garage. Will I kill the batteries in the car if I wait that long? Should I go for the cheap and cheerful option for now? Chances of burning down my house?
£3000. Wow. Can you not just get a Pod Point £499 after grant which they sort out for tethered charger. That includes 15 m of cable from you fuse box. That's a decent amount of cable. They fit it on its own mini consumer unit with RCD.

Three grand for a charger is bonkers. Surely cheaper to fit a new consumer unit if required and get a Pod Point install be a lot less than three grand. Plus it makes your wiring a bit safer.

You must have a circuit somewhere in there that can be utilised ? Old immersion heater or electric shower ?

·
Registered
VW e-golf 35kWh
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
£3000. Wow. Can you not just get a Pod Point £499 after grant which they sort out for tethered charger. That includes 15 m of cable from you fuse box. That's a decent amount of cable. They fit it on its own mini consumer unit with RCD.

Three grand for a charger is bonkers. Surely cheaper to fit a new consumer unit if required and get a Pod Point install be a lot less than three grand. Plus it makes your wiring a bit safer.

You must have a circuit somewhere in there that can be utilised ? Old immersion heater or electric shower ?
I don't think we have a spare circuit. Still running electric showers, immersion heater and storage heaters. The house is terraced. Would have to run a cable from the front of the house, through the hall, then through the kitchen and finally to the end of the garden. Parking would be on the road and wouldn't be guaranteed.

Would potentially be a lot cheaper than getting it installed in the garage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
Seconding on from most thoughts on here I’d be hesitant to take the risk of spurring off on the sockets. I had pretty old wiring here and didn’t even use my granny at home from the garden socket as I knew it had been bodged by the previous owner.
I’d assume from the way you are speaking in your post that as the house is terraced and you want a new electric supply put in, your garage is completely detached from the house and not on the same plot as your house, ie it’s not at the bottom of the garden.
If it is at the bottom of the garden I’d be asking if you could split the supply in the house at the meter and run an armoured cable to the garage, then have a new small consumer fitted in the garage served by your house supply.
If you were to go with the 13A option I’d still be thinking your best option would be to ring a sparky and have them quote for at least a new small consumer split off just after your meter, and wire the car directly up to that.
You may need to stick it in a new small enclosure outside that main cupboard as it looks pretty rammed in there.
I assume it is like that due to it being economy 7 and tacked on to over time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am in a similar predicament, mid terrace, parking to rear at foot of garden so a long run from the consumer unit. Fortunately I'm only filling up 12kWh including charging losses overnight at 6Amps on a granny charger, it is on its own new high quality socket with a fuse spur but it shares the same ring as all the plug sockets in the house. Overnight charging at 6A though is 1.5kW draw when virtually nothing else in the house is switched on.
I've looked into getting a charger installed at the foot of the garden, not had a proper survey quote due to covid but initial estimates are over £1000

·
Registered
VW e-golf 35kWh
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi,
Seconding on from most thoughts on here I’d be hesitant to take the risk of spurring off on the sockets. I had pretty old wiring here and didn’t even use my granny at home from the garden socket as I knew it had been bodged by the previous owner.
I’d assume from the way you are speaking in your post that as the house is terraced and you want a new electric supply put in, your garage is completely detached from the house and not on the same plot as your house, ie it’s not at the bottom of the garden.
If it is at the bottom of the garden I’d be asking if you could split the supply in the house at the meter and run an armoured cable to the garage, then have a new small consumer fitted in the garage served by your house supply.
If you were to go with the 13A option I’d still be thinking your best option would be to ring a sparky and have them quote for at least a new small consumer split off just after your meter, and wire the car directly up to that.
You may need to stick it in a new small enclosure outside that main cupboard as it looks pretty rammed in there.
Yeah the garage is in a block at the end of the road. Not close enough for the power to come from the main house. There is a small consumer unit already that was put into the house when it was extended that could be used for a dedicated feed out to the garden plug.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
Surely, this is a situation where it is crying out to have the entire meter/timeswitch and all those separate fuses ripped out and replaced. You would gain masses of space in the meter cupboard just by replacing the meter with a modern one, you would gain a lot in safety, and have ample space for an extra circuit for an EVSE.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts