Car says cable connected but no charge
If you unplug the lead, alarm goes off

Any idea's
Lead?
Car?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Send a pm, have both a wall unit and granny charger.
Alan

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Hi, I've started a conversation. Probably a good idea to remove your email address.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just to add that I had exactly the same problem - with all the same symptoms.
In my case it was a simple matter of a failed electrical component inside the plug that connects to the car.
Because the plug is not serviceable (impossible to take apart without breaking it open), a new plug had to be fitted.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Car says "cable connected" suggests the loopback resistor in the plug is ok. Apart from that, there's only the CP signal line going in, plus the LNE heavy-gauge wires. Sounds like an EVSE fault, probably the CP line's broken. This happens, it's a thin low-power wire. A continuity test from end to end is in order, if the OP has a multimeter & can take the EVSE cover off.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The MY13 (Black) unit has an openable plug so can be checked/repaired/have the microswitch repaired if needed, I think the MY12 orange one was sealed and filled with resin.
Depends what this one is and if the Voltec warranty applies.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
MY12 orange cable plug can be unscrewed. I forgot about the switch in there, and the resistor it puts in parallel with the fixed one. Could easily be a microswitch problem. OP should see 2 different resistance values between the PP pin & ground on the plug, depending whether switch is pressed. This is while the rest of the item is unplugged of course!
Should be about 150 ohms with trigger not pressed, 480 ohms when pressed. Just checked with the orange-cable & plug I have lying around, leftover from when the main bit packed up 5 years ago...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.