Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my new EV arrives next month (assuming I don't cancel the order!), and it's looking like I'll need to have an outdoor-configured 3-pin socket to slow charge it. Is this realistic in the long-term?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
If getting an outdoor socket fitted, why wouldn't you get something more robust than an outdoor 3 pin. You really need to be looking at a properly isolated commando socket as a minimum. Any 3 pin, whether mounted indoors or outdoors, should ideally not be treated as a good medium to long term solution.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
people do it, but long term charging from a 13A socket is not great. They tend to heat up, and over time this seems to damage the contacts, eventually leading to meltdown.

Fit a proper charger outlet, or use a "Commando" style socket and appropriate portable charger unit instead.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd say my dedicated charge point has paid for itself many times over in being able to charge on economy 7 overnight (and there are loads of tarrifs that make charging even cheaper). I'd absolutely agree a 3 pin is a stop-gap until you get a proper charge point installed.
The gov have a 75% grant available at the moment, I've not used it so can't speak to how good it is, but I got mine on a similar scheme and it was grand!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hi, my new EV arrives next month (assuming I don't cancel the order!), and it's looking like I'll need to have an outdoor-configured 3-pin socket to slow charge it. Is this realistic in the long-term?
A 3 pin will work but takes a long time to charge. No idea what your daily needs are, but if we're talking about an EV, most will do 3-4 miles per kilowatt hour.

A 10 hour charge at night would be enough for 90+ miles. 16 hours

That's certainly workable short term. Longer term you'll want a proper charge point. It's not a big expense and makes charging a breeze.

Do you have a socket anywhere close to where you will park? As @idiotzoo says, a Tough Leads extension may be a good short term solution. I have one of those too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If getting an outdoor socket fitted, why wouldn't you get something more robust than an outdoor 3 pin. You really need to be looking at a properly isolated commando socket as a minimum. Any 3 pin, whether mounted indoors or outdoors, should ideally not be treated as a good medium to long term solution.
thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
If you don’t do many miles and by that I mean your fully charged car lasts you 5 days plus then financially I can’t see that paying out £500 for a fast charger is a worthwhile investment. My car charges happily on a 13amp socket whilst I sleep

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone for your input :) greatly appreciated. The problem I have is that my garage and driveway is around the corner from my house and mains electrical supply, and I have had quotes of around £800 to install a 7kW charger, including factoring in the OLEV Grant. Hence my issue !

·
Registered
618 Posts
We have been using the granny charger (Kopp version) on our i3 for over four years now, it is plugged in to a good quality MK socket in our annexe with the lead going out the window (we are fortunately to be able to park next to the window) it is plugged in all the time, the wiring in the annexe is only 7 years old and is checked every year for insurance.

The plug doesn’t even get warm, there is no sign at all on the pins or the socket internals (I checked after a few weeks just in case) and it is charged at the maximum 10 amps.

If you have good condition wiring and electrical installation you should have no issues.

If you can you might want to get a 7 kw installed if charge speed is an issue but otherwise don’t worry.....just make sure the 13 amp is up to scratch, if your not competent get a electrician to check it.

·
Super Moderator
7,477 Posts
It's a Peugeot e-2008. I'll be doing a round trip of 30 miles per day. I am looking at an off-peak tariff too
There's a couple of good reasons to install something better

• Refill time on medium or large battery cars is woeful (my eNiro would take 30 hours to fill up from empty on a 3 pin plug)
  • Efficiency of charging at 10 amps is much lower than at 32 amps on many cars (i.e. your fuel will cost 30% more!)
  • Time of Use tariffs may have short windows where electricity is cheap (i.e. economy 7 or Octopus Go) so taking 28kwh in 4 hours at cheap rate is preferable to just 8kwh
  • Rather than needing to plug in every single night to maintain your charge level (since you won't be able to fully charge in one night) you can plug in once or twice a week, leaving the point free for your next EV or a visitor.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
Even if you don't want to payout for a 7kw charger now, have the 32amp wiring installed terminating in an outdoor 13amp socket for the granny charger. The consumer unit will need a 16amp mcb until the 7kw charger is fitted.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I'm very wary about using 32A gear on 32A EVSEs. Had a 32A RCD in my mini-CU when I first charged my Ioniq, which draws 31.5A. After about 20 mins, the thing tripped. Seems the RVDs/RCBOs de-rate their current capacity progressively once their temp rises above 30C internally. Mine must have derated to <31.5 over 20 mins, and bingo! No more charging. Replacing wih 40A RCD solved the issue.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
1,517 Posts
I'm very wary about using 32A gear on 32A EVSEs. Had a 32A RCD in my mini-CU when I first charged my Ioniq, which draws 31.5A. After about 20 mins, the thing tripped. Seems the RVDs/RCBOs de-rate their current capacity progressively once their temp rises above 30C internally. Mine must have derated to <31.5 over 20 mins, and bingo! No more charging. Replacing wih 40A RCD solved the issue.
Yes, I'd agree if the car charger is 7kw. A Leaf charger only takes 26a (6.6kw) so a 32a mcb would be okay. As it happens I did fit a 40a RCBO as I found one at a good price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts