Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I received a 5m long Type 2 to Type 2 charge cable with my ID3. I have a tethered home charge point so don't need it at home.

When I visit family which are some distance away I would like to have a granny charger (uk 3pin lead) to use at their house.

All I want is an adapter to use on the existing 5m long cable I have already i.e. Type 2 to UK 3 pin plug adapter.

I can't find this anywhere yet feel it should be simple and even if it was a 30cm lead would be ok, but doesn't make sense to buy yet another 5m long cable.

Anyone any idea where to buy one from as I have looked everywhere, or any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
You can't just use an adaptor for 13A, it has to be a portable EVSE for safety. I am not aware of a portable EVSE (aka granny) with a socket as not much demand and a risk could be left on ground and water would enter socket.

You can get a low cost (but not best quality) portable EVSE from Screwfix or a (higher quality) used one from ebay. The ones originally included with MB or BMWs are decent quality.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You would need to use a 13A extension like this one from toughleads.

This is from their website

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standard is clear on the matter; “A cord extension set or second cable assembly shall not be used in addition to the cable assembly for the connection of the EV to EVSE.”. Therefore any EV extension cable will sit outside of the standards and may effect your vehicle warrantee in the event of a claim.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Reactions: proddick

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Hi,
I received a 5m long Type 2 to Type 2 charge cable with my ID3. I have a tethered home charge point so don't need it at home.

When I visit family which are some distance away I would like to have a granny charger (uk 3pin lead) to use at their house.

All I want is an adapter to use on the existing 5m long cable I have already i.e. Type 2 to UK 3 pin plug adapter.

I can't find this anywhere yet feel it should be simple and even if it was a 30cm lead would be ok, but doesn't make sense to buy yet another 5m long cable.

Anyone any idea where to buy one from as I have looked everywhere, or any suggestions?

Thanks
And how much current do you want to pull from the UK 3 pin socket?. The full ( fool) 32A?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Useful bit of advice: if you get a granny charger (I got the Screwfix one and it appears to be acceptable quality) get the option with the longer lead. Sod's law says that when you need the granny charger, the nearest socket will be inconveniently located.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.