Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. New to the forum as about to take delivery of a Mercedes c350e this week.
Sorry if this question has already been covered.

I have looked at lots of charging options and as I will mainly charge overnight I'm happy with a conventional plug vs charging station.
However the car will about 7 metres away from the nearest socket so was wondering if anybody had experience of using a specific extension cable. I know its not recommended by manufacturers but iv read a lot of people do so safely using RCD and weatherproof cables but a little lost in choice. Mercedes quoted me £300+ for their extension (which kind of suggests manufacturers can't be that against extension cable, as they sell them!).

Thank you in advance, Tom.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Welcome @tom350e we are a friendly bunch here, mostly, you will never go back.

I dont know what load i.e. current or kW the Merc takes when charging, if you could let us know for the uninformed.

I have an outside socket and a 7kW charger but tend to use the outdoor socket nearly all the time as it utilises more of my spare solar. The Leaf plug in charger runs at 10 amp continuous.

If the Merc is similar you really do not want to run a 7 metre extension from a 13 amp socket that you may not know the integrity of. by this i mean the socket you intend to plug into is probably on a 30 amp ring main, it may be some way from your consumer unit. So to get to the socket you are using it may well go through many other connections on the ring. This can create a potential for loose terminals, higher resistance, poor connections etc. Short term not bad but over many hours of sustained charging the temperature and resistance could increase.

I am a spark and seriously do not want to create scare stories.

It would be well worth the investment to go for a full charger funded partially through OLEV. Chances are you will need it for your next EV anyway.
Alternatively get a spark to run a dedicated radial circuit out to where the car will be parked with a IP65 socket or similar.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
The cable Mercedes want £300+ for isn't an "extension", it's a charging cable without which you can't plug the car into a 3 pin socket at all.

The slang term for these is "granny lead".

If the socket is far from the car you'll need an extension lead in addition to that cable, not instead of it.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The cable Mercedes want £300+ for isn't an "extension", it's a charging cable without which you can't plug the car into a 3 pin socket at all.

The slang term for these is "granny lead".

If the socket is far from the car you'll need an extension lead in addition to that cable, not instead of it.
Really? Cheeky buggers. Just reinforces how much these big boys do not want to relinquish the ICE technology.
And i use the phrase technology with a huge slice of sarcasm.

To paraphrase another thread running F**k Mercedes.

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
Like most PHEVs your Mercedes charges at max 16A but probably 10A on the portable charger - EVSE.

The regulations on EV charging are that the length of cable between the EVSE and the 13A socket is very short for safety. Due to this, 13A extension cables are not approved for use with EVs.

That said, like many on here I do use a high quality extension lead on occasion, such as visiting family or friends. As I can't be sure of their electrics, I reduce current to 8A which is still OK to charge overnight.

Personally, I would not use a 13A extension as a long term charging solution. For safety, most EVSE have a thermal sensor in plug which you won't have in your extension. If you decide to use, then regularly check for any sign of overheating and unplug often to check pins are clean, etc.

Finally, I would encourage you to get a "proper" EV charger installed. It avoids wear on the expensive MB EVSE, which can then be kept in the car for when you need it. The current grant may not last forever, so now may be a good time to take advantage of an affordable installation.

Grant Funded Home Charging Points | EV Charging | Rolecserv

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Really? Cheeky buggers. Just reinforces how much these big boys do not want to relinquish the ICE technology.
And i use the phrase technology with a huge slice of sarcasm.

To paraphrase another thread running F**k Mercedes.
Not sure I follow. Renault charge about £350 for a granny lead. When Tesla launched in the uk they didn't offer one at all. If a manufacturer is offering to subsidise the cost of a chargepoint (as most do) then why should they also include a free granny lead?

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
Looking at MB web site the car is supposed to come with a 4M "household charger" which is listed as 8A and a 4M Type 2 "public charge" cable. The OH is hopefully getting a C350e delivered on Friday (10 week rental) and we were expecting both...

MB offer a 8M Commando EVSE as a chargeable option at £375 - perhaps that is what OP is being quoted for?

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
MB offer a 8M Commando EVSE as a chargeable option at £375 - perhaps that is what OP is being quoted for
They also offer an 8M Type 2 cable. Knowing how clueless dealers are, perhaps they think it can be used as an extension :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Looking at MB web site the car is supposed to come with a 4M "household charger" which is listed as 8A and a 4M Type 2 "public charge" cable. The OH is hopefully getting a C350e delivered on Friday (10 week rental) and we were expecting both...

MB offer a 8M Commando EVSE as a chargeable option at £375 - perhaps that is what OP is being quoted for?
That would make sense...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They also offer an 8M Type 2 cable. Knowing how clueless dealers are, perhaps they think it can be used as an extension :rolleyes:
I did notice this when I went to the showroom. I seemed to know more about the car than the salesman. He said they got a 2 hour video training session in the car "because we're about selling them no being a technical expert"!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the help and advice. I'm edging towards a "charging station". Mainly for ease of use. May still get the extension and drip box but just for the occasional use for when at families.
Iv looked at the Rolec stations, anybody got experience with these stations.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
May still get the extension and drip box but just for the occasional use for when at families.
@tom350e The MB "household charger" with only 8A draw will in practice work absolutely fine with something like a 10m RCD protected single socket 13amp heavy duty extension lead plus a DRiBOX 285 meduim perfect for our 2 way outdoor extension leads (you should be able to fit not only the 13A plug/socket but also the "lump" in the charging cable inside this box).

I've looked at the Rolec stations, anybody got experience with these stations.
Yes, it appears that they have historically cut corners on component quality, and worrying numbers of their units have overheated and burned out. Also more and more people are noticing that the cases have cracked.

I'd recommend PodPoint or anything installed by The Phoenix Works. And even though the C350e will only draw 16A, I'd recommend getting a 32A unit for futureproofing.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Not sure I follow. Renault charge about £350 for a granny lead. When Tesla launched in the uk they didn't offer one at all. If a manufacturer is offering to subsidise the cost of a chargepoint (as most do) then why should they also include a free granny lead?
Errrrrr.......
No you are right, :rolleyes:. Why would they do anything to encourage take up of the tech?
Here buy our car, its EV, oh you need to pay £x if you want to visit family.
If you sell it then the new buyer will love getting the car but may not have a charger, thats ok, tell them they can pay hundreds of pounds to buy an EVSE.

I am not a fool, i know everything in a car has a cost, even a "free" charger but making it a costly extra will have one effect.

Nissan provide both leads, but they were innovators not reluctant followers.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Errrrrr.......
No you are right, :rolleyes:. Why would they do anything to encourage take up of the tech?
Here buy our car, its EV, oh you need to pay £x if you want to visit family.
If you sell it then the new buyer will love getting the car but may not have a charger, thats ok, tell them they can pay hundreds of pounds to buy an EVSE.

I am not a fool, i know everything in a car has a cost, even a "free" charger but making it a costly extra will have one effect.

Nissan provide both leads, but they were innovators not reluctant followers.
Actually if you read upthread you'll discover that Mercedes do supply this lead with the car after all.

So it sounds like it's just Renault who don't. And given that the Zoe is the highest selling EV in Europe it doesn't seem to be hurting too much.

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
I believe part of the reason Renault don't include is to discourage people from trying to use it as their main charger - or maybe dealers suggesting people could :rolleyes:

Remember, due to design issues, the Zoe charges very inefficiently at 10A which is max on a UK 13A socket.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Not sure what you're saying here, but surely 13 amps is the max on a 13 amp socket? I use a 13 amp socket for my 3kW immersion heater (~12.5 amps).
It is. In practice though a BS1361 Won't blow until roughly 20 amps.
Mad when you think every double socket can theoretically provide 26 amp constant load.
Many ring mains are fused at 30 amp.
This is the whole point of fuses.

·
Premium Member
10,964 Posts
Not sure what you're saying here, but surely 13 amps is the max on a 13 amp socket? I use a 13 amp socket for my 3kW immersion heater (~12.5 amps).
I meant the "max it can be set to on a UK 13A socket".

Most OEMs limit to 10A as not all UK sockets are in good enough condition to safely sustain a 13A load for 8 hours (or more for Zoe). I believe there are some third party EVSE that can be set to 13A.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
There have been a number of postings on the subject of 13a extensions. Look back and read whats been said previously.
I only use 16a connectors for longer extensions, and only use 2.5mm cable, I would also suggest 5m as an ideal and an absolute limit of 10m. 13a plugs dont like constant 13 a load even 10 amp will get the pins hot. Over time as the fuse gets looser (pins move, resistance goes up) they get hot, I have loads of plugs I have cut off customers leads where the pin insulation has melted. This is made worse by the use of external covered sockets which cause the plug to get even hotter. If you use 16a then you should have a proper switched outlet and appropriate fuse/ trip.
Personally I would have a Type 2 outlet installed in a place thats accessible and not worry about this vehoicle or any subsequent ones. I would also go for the 7kw option, cost is not much greater which makes the use of an EV much more felxible and you can charge more in the day and use the vehicle for another trip.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts