Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just got my GTE and it is due for a service after a week. The garage offered to pay the £175 it would cost to get the minor service and inspection done.

I then reviewed this page which said it was due for the extended inspection. I contacted the dealer and naturally they agreed at the revised price of £269.

I contacted the dealership who sold me the car and they said they would only pay the £175 because that is what his dealership quoted when he asked for a service, despite selling me the car which was due a service as "FSH" (which actually expired around when I purchased it) and he told me on the phone that it was done a month ago (possibly an honest mistake). I suspect he did not ask his dealership for the extended inspection which I'd like to get done before the warranty expires (even though I plan on getting the extended).

I called his dealership and they said it was only due for the minor service. So I don't know which garage/source to believe at this point. It makes sense for an extended check before the warranty expires. Does anyone know which it should be???

Thanks

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,886 Posts
GTE is mileage and time based for servicing.

UK GTEs are scheduled to have oil and filter changed every 10k miles, DSG oil changed at 40k, and spark plugs and air filter at 40k as well if I remember correctly.

Brake fluid should be changed on a time basis, first change at 2 years, again if I remember correctly.

How many miles has it done?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GTE is mileage and time based for servicing.

UK GTEs are scheduled to have oil and filter changed every 10k miles, DSG oil changed at 40k, and spark plugs and air filter at 40k as well if I remember correctly.

How many miles has it done?
29.5K but it has been a year and had 3 services before I believe. Not sure why.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
At 30k, it’s probably only due an oil and filter ‘inspection’ service then, if it’s had all the other bits done properly previously?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At 30k, it’s probably only due an oil and filter ‘inspection’ service then, if it’s had all the other bits done properly previously?
I've got no idea haha, doesn't match up with what the website says and the book doesn't help hahaha

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
I've got no idea haha, doesn't match up with what the website says and the book doesn't help hahaha
Is it approaching 3 years old then?

To be honest, there’s not a lot they do on either service, I think the major one is where they do the oil/plugs/filters/DSG oil at 40k, that one hurts! Then you get to experience it all again at 80k miles...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it approaching 3 years old then?

To be honest, there’s not a lot they do on either service, I think the major one is where they do the oil/plugs/filters/DSG oil at 40k, that one hurts! Then you get to experience it all again at 80k miles...
My main concern is just the extended inspection so they can spot any issues which can be rectified under warranty before it expires at the end of the year. I know the DSG and plugs one is BAD so not looking forward to that haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Called a few dealerships and there is another spanner now! Brake fluid... when is that due to be changed? One dealer said minor service but also will need brake fluid after the first 3 years.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
They really don’t do much ‘inspecting’ in my experience.

It used to take them longer to video the underneath of the car and give the bored commentary on tread depth and brake wear and perform the wash and vacuum that I specifically asked them not to do than the actual servicing work.

They don’t inspect the hybrid system or anything like that, just scan for fault codes and perform a ‘road test’ that likely involves them taking it to the nearest drive through McDonald’s and hooning it back to the workshop.

Yes, I observed them do that to a BMW I owned, not the VW garage...

As long as you get stamps in the book, you should be good.

I would suggest you get a quote to extend the VW warranty by the way, it was very reasonable when I had mine.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
Called a few dealerships and there is another spanner now! Brake fluid... when is that due to be changed? One dealer said minor service but also will need brake fluid after the first 3 years.
I had mine changed at 2 years which coincided with the 50k oil and filter change.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Here is my understanding, the first brake fluid replacement is at 3 years from when the car is new, then every 2 years after that.
They alternate this with an “Air Con” service every two years.
So, you are going to get caught for one or the other with your oil or inspection service every single year.
They are not stupid in the way they set this up this process.
Okay, this is a situation that can frequently happen.
You present the car slightly early for it’s three year service like a good owner.
They carry out the service and reset the service schedule.
Then in only a few weeks time and the car reaches its third birthday.
Guess what, the service light comes back on again for the brake fluid to be replaced this time.
This can be really annoying if items gets completely out of sequence.
You always appear to be at the garage and getting out your wallet !.
While on the subject of warranty, I would strongly suggest that you look into extending the VW warranty at three years.
The GTE is a very technical piece of wizardry that if it develops a fault, can become expensive to correct outside of the warranty.
One owner was really unlucky that his charging port developed a fault after the three year warranty had expired.
The repair bill was substantially to say the least !.
The extended warranty is not massively expensive, but remember it needs to be supported by a full dealer service history or don’t bother.
Depending on your location in the country, the price of the extended warranty will be covered by only a few short hours of labour only in a main dealers.
It’s worth the expense to help you sleep at night !.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
You present the car slightly early for it’s three year service like a good owner.
They carry out the service and reset the service schedule.
Then in only a few weeks time and the car reaches its third birthday.
Guess what, the service light comes back on again for the brake fluid to be replaced this time.
That sounds like a lazy/dodgy dealer to be honest. At least with my old VW, the dealer always told me of these extra things at the point of booking the service and asked me what I wanted to do (get the extra work done early, postpone the service, do two visits, whatever...). Doesn't make a difference for cost, but makes a massive difference to the hassle.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
That sounds like a lazy/dodgy dealer to be honest. At least with my old VW, the dealer always told me of these extra things at the point of booking the service and asked me what I wanted to do (get the extra work done early, postpone the service, do two visits, whatever...). Doesn't make a difference for cost, but makes a massive difference to the hassle.
I agree, but we have to remember that some work carried out at individual dealerships are ONLY recorded on THAT dealers data base and not nation wide.
It should be, but I know differently.
I had to take my GTE in for the HV battery check to one of the selected dealers authorised for this type of work.
This was NOT my trustworthy local dealer who had looked after all of my previous Vw's.
Before they started the work on the recall, they carried out a health check.
Why - Looking to take some money above the cost of warranty work.
They contacted me to say that my brake fluid change was WELL over due and that my DSG service was due in 14 months time !.
Did I want the work done, while the car was in for the HV recall.
I declined their kind offer because my brake fluid and annual service had only been carried out 2 weeks earlier !.
I told them to check the service history book that I left on the passengers seat and all would be revealed.
As for the DSG service, why the hell would anybody want the transmission oil service done 14 months early, when the car was only covering approx 7,000 miles a year, and just brings the next service closer ?.
We never though to check the service book was the reply.
This proves that shifting dealers CAN result in work being duplicated if you are not careful.
If they all had combined data base or just check the service book, then this situation could be avoided.
I strongly disapprove of the idea that paper service history books are becoming a thing of the past.
Why, for the very reason I have just highlighted above.
I think you get the idea that I don't trust a lot of these dealers and your right !.
"Snake Oil" salesmen in a lot of cases.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I think you get the idea that I don't trust a lot of these dealers and your right !.
I agree with you, a lot of dealers are very iffy. A major reason my current car is a VW is because of how the local VW dealership treated me over the life of my previous VW. It's hard to put a price on a decent garage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is there an easy way to check how much warranty you have remaining, or does that require a phone call?

For some reason I think I have an extra year on top of the standard three.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Is there an easy way to check how much warranty you have remaining, or does that require a phone call?

For some reason I think I have an extra year on top of the standard three.
This very possible if the dealer offered you another 1 year dealer warranty after the factory warranty expires.
You will need to be certain of this because you could get caught out with NO warranty at all in the fourth year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This very possible if the dealer offered you another 1 year dealer warranty after the factory warranty expires.
You will need to be certain of this because you could get caught out with NO warranty at all in the fourth year.
Or even after the 3rd year! If I can save myself £100 I’ll be happy with that. Hopefully my local VW dealer can clarify.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Or even after the 3rd year! If I can save myself £100 I’ll be happy with that. Hopefully my local VW dealer can clarify.
When I first bought my GTE back in September 2015 it came with 4 years breakdown cover.
The car was covered for 3 years from new, but the selling dealer added another year taking it to almost four years in total.
I think it was through the A.A. if I remember correctly.
You really need to clarify the warranty life with the dealer.
If it is indeed only three years from first registration, then I do strongly suggest you get a quote ( on-line ) from VW to extend the warranty for a reasonable price.
I paid to cover my car twice when it came out of warranty.
Did I need to use the facility - NO.
But if the car DOES develops a fault after three years, the repair bill can be massive if you don't have the extended warranty to help cover your arse.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,733 Posts
Don’t forget that GTE means ‘Got Two Engines’. Unfortunately that means there is twice as much to go wrong; it’s a complicated bit of machinery. Servicing and warranty are really important with such a car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts