Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is 3 years since taking delivery of the eGolf.
As the PCP deal ends it is time to decide........

(Actually this was a very easy choice to make.)

The car still drives like a dream and the residual value far exceeds the final payment. So it has been MOTd and had it's second service without any problems identified. An extended warrenty has been purchased and we are good to go.

There must be others in a similar situation. It would be interesting to know what choice they have or will make.

·
Registered
411 Posts
So it is 3 years since taking delivery of the eGolf.
As the PCP deal ends it is time to decide........

(Actually this was a very easy choice to make.)

The car still drives like a dream and the residual value far exceeds the final payment. So it has been MOTd and had it's second service without any problems identified. An extended warrenty has been purchased and we are good to go.

There must be others in a similar situation. It would be interesting to know what choice they have or will make.
Within a few days of you then purchase wise ,£150 for extended warranty, not convinced that We connect is worth the £55 ,unsure if I don't renew that the next owner can reconnect it ?..
Still a joy to drive , nearly figured out all the buttons, had a new pro screen fitted so don't even have to clean that.
I am tempted with a ID3 £26.5 k to had now ,while the golf is holding , sure that will change.

At the moment if you want a second hand quality car the e golf is the one, but as Id3 and others high mileage come onto the market in a years time that will affect the egolf value a little.

So as I type this pondering if I should get the id3 and keep the golf up for sale ,nothing much is happening until lockdown goes away.
Anybody want an e golf mine is for sale:) 9450 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our 36m PCP ends October and dealer has already been in touch wondering what we’ll do.

It’s almost a no-brainer for us. Settle the GFV and as I have daughter #2 turning 17 next month it’s hers to learn in and keep as a family vehicle.

I did wonder for a bit if I should use the equity above GFV as a deposit on a newer EV, but nothing on the road (incl ID3) has yet given me the same ‘wow’ as the eGolf did back in ‘18.

·
Registered
82 Posts
For me it’s slightly more complicated... I only leased my e.golf... and after almost 3 years and 75k miles I took it for an MOT this week. It sailed through... but they loaned me an ID3 for a few hours. Unfortunately...it isn’t as nice an interior, it welt like very cheap plastic, seats are not as comfortable, the wind noise was much more noticeable, there was even a whistle around a window that seemed like it wasn’t closed properly. It just seem poorly put together... to be honest I test drove a Model 3 long range 2 weeks ago... as my first ever experience of a Tesla...and I would suggest it was better put together than the id3...

The golf is beautiful, solid, quite... if only they popped an electric powertrain in it...

Im thinking my next lease will be a Model 3

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
We’re getting a M3 LR delivered middle of March, and I’m really looking forward to the comparison with the ID.3.

I’m expecting panel gaps I could park my bike in, rattles and rubbish paint, but banzai performance. But hey, that’s just what I’m led to expect from reading stuff on here and elsewhere!

Having owned an ID.3 for over 3 months and 6500 miles now, following on from my e-Golf, much as I love Golfs the ID.3 has it beat in most areas for me. That’s not to say the e-Golf is a bad car, far from it, but for what I need an EV to do the ID.3 is better all round.

If I didn’t need the range, I’d have kept the e-Golf quite happily, it needs no justification. Interesting what you say about the Golf 8, many reviews I’ve read aim the same interior criticisms at it as the ID.3, which actually I find to be overblown.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We’re getting a M3 LR delivered middle of March, and I’m really looking forward to the comparison with the ID.3.

I’m expecting panel gaps I could park my bike in, rattles and rubbish paint, but banzai performance. But hey, that’s just what I’m led to expect from reading stuff on here and elsewhere!

Having owned an ID.3 for over 3 months and 6500 miles now, following on from my e-Golf, much as I love Golfs the ID.3 has it beat in most areas for me. That’s not to say the e-Golf is a bad car, far from it, but for what I need an EV to do the ID.3 is better all round.

If I didn’t need the range, I’d have kept the e-Golf quite happily, it needs no justification. Interesting what you say about the Golf 8, many reviews I’ve read aim the same interior criticisms at it as the ID.3, which actually I find to be overblown.
To be honest... I’ve only looked at and in a golf 8... so am not speaking from experience... rather comparing to golf 7.5

Doing 64 miles each way to work with the ability to charge at home and work means I’m only considering EV’s, so have not considered a new golf.

The Tesla I drove a few weeks ago, had a bit more road noise, than the Egolf...but the panel gaps were fine, wind noise wasn’t to bad (slightly worse than the Egolf), and the paint was ok, (I lease the car so it will be the free white anyway) The seats were for me the biggest plus... really supportive, and comfortable, I was actually really surprised how much I liked it.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
To be honest... I’ve only looked at and in a golf 8... so am not speaking from experience... rather comparing to golf 7.5

Doing 64 miles each way to work with the ability to charge at home and work means I’m only considering EV’s, so have not considered a new golf.

The Tesla I drove a few weeks ago, had a bit more road noise, than the Egolf...but the panel gaps were fine, wind noise wasn’t to bad (slightly worse than the Egolf), and the paint was ok, (I lease the car so it will be the free white anyway) The seats were for me the biggest plus... really supportive, and comfortable, I was actually really surprised how much I liked it.
I’m sure most M3s are fine, just as most cars are really, but any bad news gets amplified online doesn’t it.

It’s often described as the benchmark, so I’ll be interested in looking at it in that way after living with it for a bit. The test will be whether I fight to use it over the ID.3.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
871 Posts
I haven’t driven the iD3, but the minimal lease cost difference and massive range/performance difference persuaded me to go with the m3. I liked my golf, but the Tesla feels a class apart. I’d always assumed I’d have an iD3 next, but haven’t got any regrets re ordering the Tesla.

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
I had a loan Golf 8 (petrol) for a day recently Although it was similar spec to my e-Golf the interior felt cheap and the whole car didn’t have the same quality feeling you get on the earlier model. Personally I reckon the 7.5 is peak-Golf. For me there’s nothing out there this side of £50k that is even remotely as interesting as the e-Golf.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My e-golf cost just over £20k after vw and gov subs and a M3 costs what £40k + ? My son has the M3 dual motor and it is better car,end of, but so it should be!
Just over 20k you had a bargain!!! Strictly speaking it’s a 33k ish car before incentives.

Yours is probably still worth 17k + after 3 years depending on mileage! So very cheap motoring for the last 3 years

·
Registered
900 Posts
150 for extended warranty, not convinced that We connect is worth the £55
Is it a fixed price for the VW extended warranty or is haggling involved? Assuming for one year? Does it cover the same stuff that the initial warranty does or are there different levels to choose from?

Mine is three years old in April, currently 35k miles, apart from wishing for a bit more range I still love the car as much as when I got it so I'm keeping it. Despite the local dealer's attempts to tempt me with an ID3!

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
Ours is 3 years old next month and we have no plans to sell it.
I've had a couple of changes over that time and now have an ID3 but still plan on keeping the Golf for several more years to come.
I prefer the ID3 in many ways but the Golf is still a great car, especially for day to day running around.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Is it a fixed price for the VW extended warranty or is haggling involved? Assuming for one year? Does it cover the same stuff that the initial warranty does or are there different levels to choose from?

Mine is three years old in April, currently 35k miles, apart from wishing for a bit more range I still love the car as much as when I got it so I'm keeping it. Despite the local dealer's attempts to tempt me with an ID3!
Its on the Vw warranty site but you cannot access a quote until you are within a month of expiry.
Its mileage based , you enter your miles to date then your expected mileage up to10k then15k .
Two levels named components and all components, then you choose your contribution amount.
I was 9.5 k to date,min 10k per annum, all components, £250 contribution=Just over£150
The VW dealership offered me £499 per annum :) Car wise insurance £49 per month

·
Registered
374 Posts
I bought mine on a 4 year PCP just in case it turned out to be a lemon or I just didn't like it.

I paid off the PCP 12 months later because I can't think why I would ever want to change it. It does the job and does it brilliantly!

·
Registered
780 Posts
For me it’s slightly more complicated... I only leased my e.golf... and after almost 3 years and 75k miles I took it for an MOT this week. It sailed through... but they loaned me an ID3 for a few hours. Unfortunately...it isn’t as nice an interior, it welt like very cheap plastic, seats are not as comfortable, the wind noise was much more noticeable, there was even a whistle around a window that seemed like it wasn’t closed properly. It just seem poorly put together... to be honest I test drove a Model 3 long range 2 weeks ago... as my first ever experience of a Tesla...and I would suggest it was better put together than the id3...

The golf is beautiful, solid, quite... if only they popped an electric powertrain in it...

Im thinking my next lease will be a Model 3
If you think about the future the Golf WILL be EV someday. I think this is what I am holding out for as I have 2 yrs to wait yet before deciding. But the ID3 does nothing for me. The Mk7.5 knocks it out of the park in looks and interior quality.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
If you think about the future the Golf WILL be EV someday. I think this is what I am holding out for as I have 2 yrs to wait yet before deciding. But the ID3 does nothing for me. The Mk7.5 knocks it out of the park in looks and interior quality.
Don't see your point. The chance of VW going back on their statement, that the ID.3 will be replacing the Golf, is small, but it is still possible.

Looking from the market POV, the ID.3 is exactly the replacement for the Golf, same segment, same size, etc. This is also exactly the same market impact on quality/materials, as you are comparing cars from different ages, i.e. why don't you compare with the Golf 8?

The fact that you don't like the ID.3 is subjective, and cudos to you. But hoping that VW is going to build another VW Golf in EV guise... is misplaced. The hope (or subjective hindsight) that the quality and materials of previous models will some day return is again a misunderstanding of the positioning of a product on the market at that past time and now.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Don't see your point. The chance of VW going back on their statement, that the ID.3 will be replacing the Golf, is small, but it is still possible.

Looking from the market POV, the ID.3 is exactly the replacement for the Golf, same segment, same size, etc. This is also exactly the same market impact on quality/materials, as you are comparing cars from different ages, i.e. why don't you compare with the Golf 8?

The fact that you don't like the ID.3 is subjective, and cudos to you. But hoping that VW is going to build another VW Golf in EV guise... is misplaced. The hope (or subjective hindsight) that the quality and materials of previous models will some day return is again a misunderstanding of the positioning of a product on the market at that past time and now.
Interesting post, but I’m wondering if VW will ever really kill off the Golf?

I mean, even more so than the Beetle, it’s the vehicle that defines them. It would be like Porsche killing the 911, that basic shape is who they are.

I’ll be in a Golf 8 most of next week, when my ID.3 goes in for its software, and I’m really looking forward to trying it. I’m sure I won’t be keen on whatever engine it has, but the Mk8 is the first Golf I’ve never owned.

I think the Mk 7.5 e-Golf is a great car, had it been a 50 kWh car I’m sure I’d still have it, but I‘m slightly disappointed they didn’t give it the 7.5 treatment that other Golfs got, like the GTE/GTD, it still looked like a Mk7.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
I agree @Tooks, it is difficult to imagine VW killing off the Golf, but that is under current conditions: it is their best seller and has been for the past 30 years?!?!

How about in another 10 or 20 years? I have my opinion but unless someone can see the future...

So, all we have is VAG's stated plan, which did not state that they will get rid of the Golf, but that they expect the ID.3 to become their EV best seller and by extension their overall bestseller over time. I do prefer to take their word for it at the moment and expect this to take a very long time.

Edit: @Tooks you will like the Golf8 (if it is DSG), but let us know how it compares to the ID.3 when you get it back.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
My dad refers to both our cars as Golf's abs thinks I'm splitting hairs when I correct him!
He's started with a diesel mark 1 and apart from a couple of years in a Focus to save money, which he hated, he's only bought diesel Golfs since.
I can't see him changing to an ID3, but he thinks of it as the electric Golf.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts