Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Indian press reports that European manufactured Kona 64 kWh will come with a maximum range of 484 km vice 452 km (286 miles), but complains this will not increase for 64 kWh Konas available in India.

The report states that it does not know how this increase will be achieved and speculates about whether it is an improvement to battery technology or an improvement in rolling Road perhaps using different tyres.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Indian press reports that European manufactured Kona 64 kWh will come with a maximum range of 484 km vice 452 km (286 miles), but complains this will not increase for 64 kWh Konas available in India.

The report states that it does not know how this increase will be achieved and speculates about whether it is an improvement to battery technology or an improvement in rolling Road perhaps using different tyres.
Maybe software tweaks to the acceleration profile like Tesla have done.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Software is possible as they dont have as high a temprature to contend with so can afford that bit more efficiency and push of the cells.

·
Registered
514 Posts
There is the WLTP RANGE and then there is the range we each achieve in our own little real range bubbles. I get around 310 miles in summer and currently on 267 miles.

I went to France last June, they had 45c temperatures. But for northern Europe, it is a cold winter which hammers the range.

In reality the WLTP is but a measure to compare efficiency and range between cars and has the virtue of being considerably less open to cheating than the old system. But we will all get different figures. For everyone out there with a heavy right foot is someone to balance with their hyper-miling

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

LHD only. Other reports have suggested it could be a result of the switch to better tyres and some unspecified aerodynamic improvements on the underside but I don't think anyone really knows.

The RHD models will continue to be manufactured in Korea but I've seen it claimed the same improvements will appear on cars manufactured there from July.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had a thought the 64 kWh battery pack is actually 71 kWh so Hyundai could just change the amount used to get to the magic 300 miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
View attachment 132658 Just got this as my solar panels topped up the charge. It was 325 miles at 100%. Loving this warm weather. :)
To be honest as I am also charging for free from solar PV panels, I don't give a dam about range at the moment accelerate heavily and run the air-con on max.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Just had a thought the 64 kWh battery pack is actually 71 kWh so Hyundai could just change the amount used to get to the magic 300 miles.
Or they could keep it locked and the soh and such stats report against having 64kwh available and thus reduces the chances of a warranty claim in the longer term.

·
Registered
332 Posts
At 100% displayed SoC my BMS SoC is 94.5%. The cell voltage is 4.146 V based on the pack voltage of 406.3 / 98. According to data at PowerStream 4.15 V corresponds to 94% of the capacity when charged to 4.20 V, generally considered the maximum safe Li-ion voltage. There is the caveat that their capacity test is based on discharge to 2.8 V and I don't know if the Kona is allowed to drop that far, i.e. has no low-end buffer. In any case, that aligns very closely with the BMS SoC of 94.5%, which I expect eventually creeps up to match displayed SoC to counter degradation without a loss of range.
We don't know if Hyundai's quoted 64 kWh means at 100% SoC displayed or 100% SoC BMS. But even in the case of it being the "displayed" value the total capacity when new would only be 100/94.5 x 64 = 67.7 kWh rather than 71.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I always thought that it's around 67.5 kwh.. A new battery shows about 94.5% BMS SoC when Display SoC is 100%.
This would translate to 67.7kwh total battery size..
(64 / 94.5) * 100 = 67.7

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Yes, TeslaBjorn's extensive calculations on his YouTube channel show about 67kWh for the total battery size.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've just looked at a recent demonstration on Youtube by Nigel - 'The EV Puzzle' showing how he can achieve 7.6 miles/kWh over a 28 mile run on rural roads with average speed about 26 mph and a corresponding range of about 400 miles. And this is before any BMS update...
In his demonstration he gets the battery a bit warmer initially by driving with a number of bursts of acceleration and heavy regen and then, when warm, he starts the miles/ kWh test run...

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I watched that too. Ideally you should do a rapid charge just before setting off to get the battery temps up to about 30C...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently got 310 mile charge at 100% from my home charging station 240v. This is AFTER the recent required battery software update. Only other time I charged to 100% I got 299 miles. (I've have car for 8 months & really don't drive much).

·
Registered
514 Posts
There is enough variability that the 310 could be down to your eco driving, or the weather, or the update. I am still waiting on the update and currently showing 308 on the GOM. Your right foot has a big impact on range.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
It'll be the warmer weather making your recent driving more efficient (warmer battery and oils).

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,661 Posts
I've just looked at a recent demonstration on Youtube by Nigel - 'The EV Puzzle' showing how he can achieve 7.6 miles/kWh over a 28 mile run on rural roads with average speed about 26 mph and a corresponding range of about 400 miles. And this is before any BMS update...
In his demonstration he gets the battery a bit warmer initially by driving with a number of bursts of acceleration and heavy regen and then, when warm, he starts the miles/ kWh test run...
.. or just drive up the nearest hill first, then start your test.

Hardly 'real world', so what does that number mean?

All my reported mileage is by real road miles in real traffic, always back to the same starting point unless otherwise stated. Wish others stuck to the same standards else it is difficult to tell whats-from-what.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts