Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow is that really possible? Does it take much time/is it complicated to plan a journey to go through fast charging points? I want to go for an EV cause I mainly use my car to commute and can get train/plane if I go further away but knowing I can actually travel quite easily long distances this way would definitely convince me to get one!
Cheers for your help.

PS: found a leasing site (http://www.ukleasingdeals.co.uk/)that has good offers (I think) but I'm not sure it it's better to lease it or just buy it, opinions? ta much :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure it it's better to lease it or just buy it, opinions? ta much :)
You'll get a range of opinions on that here ;)

What I think you must remember is that this is very early technology and some of the first Leaf owners paid ~£30K three years ago and the cars may be worth just £5K this year. Personally, we are leasing our next EV having purchased our first.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Wow is that really possible? Does it take much time/is it complicated to plan a journey to go through fast charging points? I want to go for an EV cause I mainly use my car to commute and can get train/plane if I go further away but knowing I can actually travel quite easily long distances this way would definitely convince me to get one!
I have done many long trips in my Mk1 Nissan Leaf... e.g. Cornwall, Norwich, Preston in Lancs and back to Cornwall... 1050 miles in 4 days!

Another one I did just a few months ago was Cornwall, Reading, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Cornwall... again, over 1000 miles in 4 days!

So yes, you can do long trips in a short-range EV but is it easy... no, not really.

You have to stop every 50-80 miles to charge for 30-60 mins so it takes longer but I love the pace of travelling in that way.

Planning the trip is also quite an ordeal as you must plan it properly before you leave so you know where you are going to charge, back ups in case they fail, etc. Sometimes I feel I am planning an expedition to Everest!

So can you do it - yes. Is it easy - no. It is not for everyone but remember this... these cars are absolutely perfect for the range they were designed for... under 100 miles... and that covers the vast majority of the days when we use our cars. If you have a regular commute or want a perfect 2nd car then an EV like the Leaf is a great car. The long distance is fun but it is also challenging and can be frustrating.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have done many long trips in my Mk1 Nissan Leaf... e.g. Cornwall, Norwich, Preston in Lancs and back to Cornwall... 1050 miles in 4 days!

Another one I did just a few months ago was Cornwall, Reading, Edinburgh, Sheffield, Cornwall... again, over 1000 miles in 4 days!
The day after I bought my Leaf I had to drive it home from Edinbutgh to Herts - about 380 miles.

So yes, you can do long trips in a short-range EV but is it easy... no, not really.

You have to stop every 50-80 miles to charge for 30-60 mins so it takes longer but I love the pace of travelling in that way.

Planning the trip is also quite an ordeal as you must plan it properly before you leave so you know where you are going to charge, back ups in case they fail, etc. Sometimes I feel I am planning an expedition to Everest!
30 minute stops are the norm at the rapids, yuo can stay longer if you want that extra security of a few additional miles.

You might find route planning to be an ordeal, personally I really like that part (and I've seen others say the same thing). I think it appeals to a certain character type though (my wife, for example, would loathe that).

So can you do it - yes. Is it easy - no. It is not for everyone but remember this... these cars are absolutely perfect for the range they were designed for... under 100 miles... and that covers the vast majority of the days when we use our cars. If you have a regular commute or want a perfect 2nd car then an EV like the Leaf is a great car. The long distance is fun but it is also challenging and can be frustrating.
Yes, this. For me, the compromises are far outweighed by the many advantages.

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay
1 - 6 of 6 Posts