Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,183 Posts
Hi there,

I own a 30kw leaf, however when I do a full charge it caps at '115'. Is this because of batter degradation?
How long have you had it, what age and mileage?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
115 is actually pretty good for a Leaf 30. What were you expecting ? Not the NEDC rating I hope... ;)

Mine is a 2016 with 27k miles so very similar. I can manage 115 miles but only in summer at city speeds. At higher speeds its more like 105, and winter will knock more off again.

To achieve 115 miles from about 26kWh usable (which it probably has) would require an average efficiency of nearly 4.5 miles/kWh which is a tall ask on a Leaf. What are you getting for miles/kWh ?

Keep in mind the full charge range estimate is based on the efficiency of recent driving. So if you blast it on the motorway the following days full charge range will be less than if you potter around in the city.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no, of course not! But I thought the dash would show '155' miles as the full charge, instead 115 which is what it shows. At best, I get 80 miles (motorway driving) before I need to recharge.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
155 miles is the NEDC rating. It's not possible to achieve anything like this in real world driving. It's only a comparative figure between different makes and models of car and is now obsoleted by the WLTP.

115 is possible with slower driving - I've managed it on occasion but only in summer. If you are doing a true 70mph on the motorway (about 77 indicated) you're probably going to get at most 80-90 miles especially now its getting colder.

The dash will show what it estimates you can do based on recent driving style.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
the 115miles on the GOM is based off a 3yr olds maths skills on your last few journeys as to what it thinks it can get.

If your getting that your doing well to be fair, mine would show about 126 in summer and in winter is more like 110 due to heating mostly.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
the 115miles on the GOM is based off a 3yr olds maths skills on your last few journeys as to what it thinks it can get.

If your getting that your doing well to be fair, mine would show about 126 in summer and in winter is more like 110 due to heating mostly.
I find the estimate quite accurate, but it only seems to be based on the last few miles (maybe 10 miles ?) of driving, so if you stick to the same driving style over a long distance like a cross country trip it's bang on for me.

But if your trip consists of fast and slow sections with the slow section being the last stretch before home (as my daily commute is) then it seems to use the driving efficiency of that last few slow miles for the full charge estimate and therefore consistently over-estimates the range from a full charge. (I'm still seeing full charge estimates for my commute of around 107 miles even in this cold weather)

If the GOM averaged the driving efficiency over a longer distance it would probably be more useful.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Ohh okay. The dashboard updates based on my previous drives?

I drive 60/70 (behind lorry sometimes ;)) and get 90 miles.
Is that 60/70 indicated or GPS speed ? The Leaf speedo under-reads by about 10% and this has quite an effect on efficiency at motorway speeds when comparing results on different cars.

The first long trip I took at 60mph in my Leaf I managed 94 miles with about 10 miles to spare back in July so if you're doing 70mph it sounds about right, especially if you mean now in October's colder weather as heater use can cut the range by 10-20%.

Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
After many, many long trips in different leafs across the country, it doesn't get any better when your sat on the motorway at a constant speed behind a lorry :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
It’s not called a guessometer for nothing! Mine showed 131 miles the other day - it’s never done over a hundred but it made me smile!

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,173 Posts
At best, I get 80 miles (motorway driving) before I need to recharge.
How low were you willing to let the battery go? On a day with good weather, not using heating and not going above an indicated 70 you can generally get 1 Mile = 1% in these cars if you have a reasonably good SOH.

My personal best was when the car was only a few months old and SOH was over 100% - 107 motorway miles. I pushed it and arrived at the charger with - - - showing and 2% remaining according to the charger when I plugged in.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,398 Posts
I think 40kWh Leaf barely manages 150 miles. Real world mileage depends so much on weather conditions.

In winter Leaf30 is good for 90 miles IMO

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
To confirm, yes the range on the dashboard is based on your recent driving and also whats happening right now (e.g. turning air con on or off will change it)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Mines never over 100 😂

But as above, its based on your recent driving.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts