Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested to hear owners experiences of the 30kW model, both dealer service or independent service, reliability and what real world efficiencies i summer and winter owners are experiencing. Thanks.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
350 Posts
Hi,
I bought a 30Kwh model a couple of months ago second hand from a dealer, 14k on the clock. Haven't had any service experience yet. Range was 110 miles in the summer but was mostly local. It's currently dropped to 95ish but I'm doing a 40 mile round trip on a cruise controlled 60mph on 'B' drive twice a week. I'm using heating, Android Auto (playing loud) and lights as most of it's in the dark.
I'm waiting to see if range goes back up when the weather gets warmer and lighter, but not overly concerned as 99% of usage will be local and having just looked at a plan for 250 mile trip will probably go ICE. I'll go EV when either charging en-route is definitely more reliable or I upgrade to a car with greater range between charges. I also had a wallbox charger installed and find that verrrry handy.
HTH cheers

p.s. - mileage-wise I was inspired by a local couple who I met and discussed the Kia Soul 30Kwh experience with. They claimed they were getting 150 miles range, which is above anything claimed anywhere so I was highly dubious. Saw them last week and as much as they love the car they are trading it in for an ICE as range has dropped 110 miles and they are not impressed. Bit of a shame, but ,I believe, more realistic.

p.p.s. - I'm loving it

·
Registered
307 Posts
They claimed they were getting 150 miles range, which is above anything claimed anywhere so I was highly dubious. Saw them last week and as much as they love the car they are trading it in for an ICE as range has dropped 110 miles and they are not impressed. Bit of a shame, but ,I believe, more realistic.

p.p.s. - I'm loving it
I get 158 miles of estimated range in the summer (as do other owners on here) and down to 109 in the winter.
I would suggest the couple you met were being truthful about their summer range but are somewhat "naive" not to expect a big drop in the winter.
I fully expect my car (67000 miles) to estimate 150 or thereabouts again once the temperature rises.
I'm loving mine too!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would be interested to hear owners experiences of the 30kW model, both dealer service or independent service, reliability and what real world efficiencies i summer and winter owners are experiencing. Thanks.
3 and a half years in now on my June 2017 registered 30kw Soul.
Apart from blowing a fuse and replacing the 12v battery it hasn't missed a beat.
Super reliable.
I bought a 5 year (or 50000 mile) service plan originally for £329.00 all of which were carried out at the main dealer (Tates) and have subsequently purchased a 6&7 service plan for £189.00 so due service 7 in 3000 miles. Main dealer has been superb apart from "forgetting" to top up windscreen wash on service 5 which after complaint got me a free software update.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 30Kwh, 2018
350 Posts
I get 158 miles of estimated range in the summer (as do other owners on here) and down to 109 in the winter.
I would suggest the couple you met were being truthful about their summer range but are somewhat "naive" not to expect a big drop in the winter.
I fully expect my car (67000 miles) to estimate 150 or thereabouts again once the temperature rises.
I'm loving mine too!
Wow!! - guess I'm being shortchanged then. Is there anyway to increase the range, like maybe driving it slightly more aggressively, allowing to discharge further before recharging etcetc?
They did tell me that the previous owner had been doing a 56 mile round trip daily, taking no notice on efficiencies or trying to get the best miles per Kwh. Whereas since they'd taken ownership it'd been tootling about on local trips around 5 miles or so - 2 or 3 times daily but no long trips

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
329 Posts
Wow!! - guess I'm being shortchanged then. Is there anyway to increase the range, like maybe driving it slightly more aggressively, allowing to discharge further before recharging etcetc?
MORE aggressively→LESS efficiency. Why? Higher current in battery and motor→more heat losses→wasted energy. The economy trick with ICE cars to anticipate slowdowns and slow down early, rather than waste energy braking, also applies (regen braking does not recover all the energy, and the friction brakes still play a part). Another piece of economy advice I've seen is to use the seat and wheel heating but not the cabin heating.

Most offered advice is to operate the battery between 30% and 80% (some say 20 - 70). This improves battery longevity and is probably good for economy too.

·
Registered
307 Posts
At my 60000 mile service in August the SOH print out indicated the battery was still at 100%.
My car is my cab and used daily. 90% of my journeys are urban and under 30mp. I always drive in "B" when urban and always eco. Only when on open roads do I use "D" and eco off.
As far as charging is concerned I charge from home every night if working the next day and always to 100%. I alway preheat in the winter months.
During my 3.5 years of ownership I guess I have rapid charged less than 50 times.
Horses for courses I guess but I charge when I need to and am not concerned with keeping it between 20 and 80%. I usually arrive home with anything between 20 and 40 % of battery remaining, however since covid work has slowed dramatically and its not uncommon to get home with 40 to 60 % left.
As a footnote I also do the following which I have not seen mentioned elsewhere.
Because the cab has a few extras fitted (meter, cctv, data unit etc) I do not switch the car off all day unless I go for a cuppa or the toilet. This means that whilst I'm waiting for work I can run the radio, heater etc without draining the 12v battery.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 30kWh
126 Posts
I think the Real Range depends on your usual journey.

My daily commute is a drive into London from Harrow. I highest miles I got on the GOM was 168 miles in September. The actual is very hard to calculate actual miles for 100%SOC, as I try not to let the %SOC go below 25% and charge to around 80% every 3 to 5 days (Once a month to %100 as per manual and the only time I see the max GOM miles).

Unlike other EVs, this GOM is realistic, but can be beaten. (i.e. mostly my GOM drops by 23 miles in my 26 mile commute). It also not linear below 20%SOC from what other people have stated in the forum.

My overall efficiency since last reset in June is 5 miles/kWh (high of 5.9) with average speed of 15mph

My %SOH is still 100% @ 42k miles (30kWh Oct 2017). I have not heard of any 30 kWh in this forum that have shown any degradation, either from dealer printout or via Konwei dongle/Soul Spy app.

I like @Cabby7, drive in B mode with ECO for urban commute and D (ECO Off) for Motorways. The B mode has additional benefit that the brake lights come on when you lift off the accelerator pedal.

In winter, the heatpump, heated seats/steering have been amazing. Not only is it very efficient in power usage, it only took around 5 mins to heatup the cabin to 22c in the morning today (it was 0c @6am and I forgot to plug in last night so no pre-heating).

The only issue I have ever had with my KIA was a sticky charge flap, that was sorted by Ferrosol Pro Spray Lubricant. The previous owner had to replace the 12v battery and this seems to be common for a lot of EVs. Servicing is very cheap, £69 for small service and £109 for major service.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Very similar experience to others, no issues so far with my 67 plate 30kWh. State of health 100% when checked a month or so ago. 28,000 miles. I charge 70% - 30% every few days, and 100% once a month as per the owners book. Average is 4.8 miles per kWh, but the car hardly got used March - September for obvious reasons, so over 5 would have been easily possible with spring / summer use factored in. I’m down into the high 120’s on the GOM now with the cold, but 140 - 150 in the better weather is achievable driving sensibly.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
79 Posts
I had my 2018 serviced today having only owned the car since August. Including the MOT it cost £119.09. This was at Beadles Kia in Coulsdon.
I queried why I wasn't provided with a printout of the Battery Charge and Condition and they replied that it was for their records and that I would be advised if there was a problem diagnosed.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
On our new (to us) 2018 Soul the SOH is showing as 100% via Soul Spy. This is with 22k on the clock. Range is showing as 105 miles, but this is in cold temperatures with full heating and a 70 mile round-trip commute mostly on motorway; I've been arriving back home with 31-33% remaining, so the GOM seems pretty accurate. Given the mpkwh figure, I'd expect to see a range of about 120-130 in the summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts