Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're wanting a Leaf 30 for our second car. It'll be used by my wife for her 30 mile a day commute, but occasionally she'll want to visit her mum which is around 80 miles round trip.

We've seen a 30 Leaf Tekna on a 17 plate from a Nissan dealer for 10.5k. The only issue really is that it has done 55K miles and when we checked it, it is showing 11 bars.

I've asked for a state of health report but I'm just wanting to know how the range would be affected? Would it dramatically reduce the range having lost one bar?
The car itself is in very good condition, just slightly put off by the loss in battery. Looking around though, lower mileage 30 Leafs are pricey!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,744 Posts
I would look elsewhere - based solely on the need to visit parents all year round in all weathers. Not a situation that makes for harmony if a charge at mums isn't possible.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You're just going to get a report that basically shows 11 bars if it's a report from most dealers. Very little additional information. If you are going to consider this car you definitely need to go armed with an OBD Dongle and the leafspy app to see a detailed report of the condition. If it has only just lost the first bar it's not terrible. If it's close to losing the second now it's definitely best avoided unless it happens to be running the old BMS version.

I personally would just look for another car to make life easier. There are plenty of 12 bar examples around, even if some may be very close to losing that first one soon too.

·
Registered
649 Posts
We're wanting a Leaf 30 for our second car. It'll be used by my wife for her 30 mile a day commute, but occasionally she'll want to visit her mum which is around 80 miles round trip.

We've seen a 30 Leaf Tekna on a 17 plate from a Nissan dealer for 10.5k. The only issue really is that it has done 55K miles and when we checked it, it is showing 11 bars.

I've asked for a state of health report but I'm just wanting to know how the range would be affected? Would it dramatically reduce the range having lost one bar?
The car itself is in very good condition, just slightly put off by the loss in battery. Looking around though, lower mileage 30 Leafs are pricey!
Hi

@Hitstirrer is right. An 80 mile round trip is on the edge of where you would need to be in Winter. Summer not a problem, but Winter time even here in not-so-sunny Poole/Bournemouth will be a nail-biter for your wife.
I would not like to face the wrath of the lovely Jane if she were stuck on a dark road in the middle of Winter just a few miles from home.....
For the sake of your marriage, spend a few more quid on a higher range vehicle, or buy a 7kw charger for your mother-in-law and get a cheaper vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your swift replies.
By the sounds of it, we should keep looking for a lower mileage example then?
Since we've been looking, the prices of used Leafs seem to have shot up. Do you think this is a temporary thing and maybe hold out until prices have levelled off?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
we should keep looking for a lower mileage example then?
I wouldn't be worried about mileage. You can have high mileage with a health battery and low mileage with a terrible battery. It's more about how the previous owner(s) have looked after the battery pack rather than the distance it has covered.

Getting the battery too hot, doing lots of rapid charging, constantly recharging while you already have a high level of charge, keeping the battery full/empty for long periods of time are all the things that do far more damage than simply driving high mileage.

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
158 Posts
I know this sounds obvious, but on the trip to see her mum, can't she just plug in to a 3-pin using a granny charger while visiting? I assume she is there for a good few hours, yes?
That'll add 8 miles of range per hour and cost 2 units of electricity an hour...no brainer unless she lives on the 5th floor of a block of flats:unsure:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Theres a known firmware bug with 2017 cars with a dealership recall being done to update it, which causes them to lose battery bars quicker than they should, as well as hiding usable range in the process.

I'd bet that dealership car needs the update.

My 2017 cars on 63k, battery SOH was down in the 70's with 1 bar lost. Got the update done at the last service and now its back to 12 bars and SOH is mid-high 80's. Car has more usable range too.

The MIL is also an 80mile round trip for me, i usually just plug in with the granny. I could make it there and back driving slowly or stopping for a charge, but its just a non-issue since its easy enough to charge.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
High mileage can usually only be achieved by longer journeys on fast motorway type roads and these will probably need rapid charging more frequently and hotter batts. Personally i would not consider a EV with more than say 8Kmls/yr as the lower mileage to me implies more gentler use.

How do the trade guides deal with the mileage of EVs v valuation?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
High mileage can usually only be achieved by longer journeys on fast motorway type roads and these will probably need rapid charging more frequently and hotter batts. Personally i would not consider a EV with more than say 8Kmls/yr as the lower mileage to me implies more gentler use.

Definitely check it out with leafspy if itis high mileage, but don't immediately write it off. Higher mileage examples with a reasonable number of DC Charges are better than low mileage examples that may have been sat most of its life on a driveway with a full battery, regularly plugged back in after a trip to the grocery store a few miles down the road, never seeing use below 90% for example - This is more likely to have caused wear to the battery and weakened a few individual cells too, rather than a higher mileage example with very regular, sensible use.

This was definitely my experience when I was checking out a number of cars with leafspy while sourcing them for friends and family.

·
Registered
649 Posts

Ahhh, but you don't take into account situations such as mine.

Even since before lockdown, the lovely Jane has taken to enjoying "a little run out". That usually entails a round trip of at least 80 miles around the leafy lanes of Dorset and Hampshire mostly a speeds of less than 25mph. That was getting very expensive in my 25mpg VW EOS which is why I parted with my boys toy in favour of the 10,000mile Leaf in 2019. Since then I have clocked up over 12,000 miles a year, with only about 200 miles on the bit of motorway from the end of the A31 in the New Forest where it becomes the M27, then to Winchester on the M3 for just a few miles. Dorset of course prides itself on not having a single inch of motorway.......

There are probably quite a few old farts like us out there who pootle around in our Leafs doing quite a high mileage round the Yorkshire Dales and Pennines and the moors of Devon and Cornwall.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yes but how do you distinguish between "a few old farts" and the business driver putting on the miles who could not care about the batt. Also most cars (90% ?) are not bought but on PCP or lease and these drivers could not care at all. I stick with my 8k/yr.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yes but how do you distinguish between "a few old farts" and the business driver putting on the miles who could not care about the batt.
That's simple. Leafspy. As I suggested earlier.

It counts how many charge sessions for both AC and DC. You can easily work out then what sort of charge history it's had, as well as seeing the battery health, any imbalanced or weak cells etc.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Theres a known firmware bug with 2017 cars with a dealership recall being done to update it, which causes them to lose battery bars quicker than they should, as well as hiding usable range in the process.
Do you have any details on the firmware numbers to check on my car?
This sounds relevant to me.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Do you have any details on the firmware numbers to check on my car?
This sounds relevant to me.

That thread has the details and old/new firmware numbers.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,122 Posts
Hi

@Hitstirrer is right. An 80 mile round trip is on the edge of where you would need to be in Winter. Summer not a problem, but Winter time even here in not-so-sunny Poole/Bournemouth will be a nail-biter for your wife.
I would not like to face the wrath of the lovely Jane if she were stuck on a dark road in the middle of Winter just a few miles from home.....
For the sake of your marriage, spend a few more quid on a higher range vehicle, or buy a 7kw charger for your mother-in-law and get a cheaper vehicle.
I looked into just this when I bought my leaf - winter, trapped in the car in the snow for hours or overnight.

I planned some navy ration packs that supply 1000 calories per biscuit and packing an Australian Kelly Kettle - forage for twigs to boil some water!

Surley over night with some foraging the Lovely Jane would not mind?

• Haha
Reactions: Barfly

·
Registered
649 Posts
I looked into just this when I bought my leaf - winter, trapped in the car in the snow for hours or overnight.

I planned some navy ration packs that supply 1000 calories per biscuit and packing an Australian Kelly Kettle - forage for twigs to boil some water!

Surley over night with some foraging the Lovely Jane would not mind?
John- The lovely Jane would not have anything to do with it. A minimum of 4 star overnight for the lovely Jane. I cannot picture a foraging Jane even in my wildest nightmares!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend having a look at Facebook Marketplace for a used Leaf. I recently bought (1 month ago) a 30kwh 2017 leaf with 45000miles, 12 battery bars (90% SOH) and good bodywork car for £8k. Prices on Autotrader are comparatively more expensive. Similar spec'd cars were priced at 9.5k upwards. Good luck

·
Registered
121 Posts
@smorg99 did you check out the dealer car?
See my other thread re firmware upgrade.
The car may have 11 bars, but if it has the old firmware this can be updated and will most likely bring it back to 12 bars.
Ask the dealer to check which firmware is installed as per @Aragorn's post above.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts