Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. After 8 years driving Priuses, I'm really looking forward to going 'properly' electric. Current schedule is I pick up my Tekna from Edinburgh on 16th Dec . Will be commuting from Falkirk to Edinburgh and averaging 20k a year but confident it'll be up to the job. My work has kindly installed a 32a charger for me so that will be a big help. Can't wait to get it now !!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi. After 8 years driving Priuses, I'm really looking forward to going 'properly' electric. Current schedule is I pick up my Tekna from Edinburgh on 16th Dec . Will be commuting from Falkirk to Edinburgh and averaging 20k a year but confident it'll be up to the job. My work has kindly installed a 32a charger for me so that will be a big help. Can't wait to get it now !!
Welcome to the BEV world ☺

With the bridge out of commission I guess the traffic will be horrific for a few months. I commute around Manchester in our Leaf and prefer the silent comfort sitting in jams, makes it more bearable.

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
Your love it, it will make the Prius seem like old fashioned tech.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Andrew. Actually, if the last couple of days are anything to go by my journey is going to be a lot easier. I work on the north side of Edinburgh about 6 miles east of the bridge. Last night I almost had the A90 up towards the bridge to myself - it was brilliant! I do feel sorry for the Fifers at work who have got that long, slow round trip to do. I suspect a lot of those who can will work from home until the new year.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your love it, it will make the Prius seem like old fashioned tech.
Thanks Gzoom. I'm guessing there will be a lot of similarities such as the CVT, keyless entry, push button start and regen braking (to an extent) but looking forward to the instant torque (Prius always seemed to have a slight lag), remote car defrosting/warming, the extra quiet and hopefully a decent sat navy and infotainment system. Mainly though I will just be so pleased to leave fossil fuel burning behind. I've only ever sat in a Leaf in the showroom so when I pick it up will be my first experience proper. I'm hoping it will feel like it did when I left VHS behind (a technology I felt had long passed its sell-by date) and got Sky +

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
I went for the Leaf after my wife bought a Lexus IS300H, and from what I understand alot of early Leaf owners use to own a Prius. The tech in the Prius is great, diesel economy without having to use diesel - But times have moved on. I compare it to like going from a old fashion Nokia to a modern day smart phone....You might have to plug in your smart phone every night, but I'm still amazed at how we managed life before they appeared :).

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Congrats on your purchase you will love it. But a word of warning. Don't expect the remote heating to be that reliable using the carwings app. It's terrible.

Although the climate control timer can be set from the car and that works flawlessly.

Let us know how you find the range when you get it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on your purchase you will love it. But a word of warning. Don't expect the remote heating to be that reliable using the carwings app. It's terrible.

Although the climate control timer can be set from the car and that works flawlessly.

Let us know how you find the range when you get it!
Hi Dean. I have heard the car wings can be pretty ropey and I mentioned that to the guy in the Nissan garage in Friday. He says the new Leaf has dropped Carwings in favour of NissanConnect and he reckons it should be a lot more reliable....we'll see!

·
Registered
2 Posts
All rhi
Thanks Gzoom. I'm guessing there will be a lot of similarities such as the CVT, keyless entry, push button start and regen braking (to an extent) but looking forward to the instant torque (Prius always seemed to have a slight lag), remote car defrosting/warming, the extra quiet and hopefully a decent sat navy and infotainment system. Mainly though I will just be so pleased to leave fossil fuel burning behind. I've only ever sat in a Leaf in the showroom so when I pick it up will be my first experience proper. I'm hoping it will feel like it did when I left VHS behind (a technology I felt had long passed its sell-by date) and got Sky +
se

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Hi Dean. I have heard the car wings can be pretty ropey and I mentioned that to the guy in the Nissan garage in Friday. He says the new Leaf has dropped Carwings in favour of NissanConnect and he reckons it should be a lot more reliable....we'll see!
Ah yes I forgot about the Nissan Connect. Hopefully you will have better luck with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All those! The responsiveness is so much better than the Prius. The regen is very good. Watch the miles remaining increase as you go downhill. Interested to see what mileage you get from 30kWh

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All those! The responsiveness is so much better than the Prius. The regen is very good. Watch the miles remaining increase as you go downhill. Interested to see what mileage you get from 30kWh
Well I guess two of my first trips out will be to see how far I can get driving economically but also how far when driving with no regard for economy, so I can start to understand my range.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm upgrading just like you. I had a leaf on test for 4 days. Getting back in the Prius (3rd gen) felt like going back in time.
Hah. Well after next week I hopefully won't be getting back in to the Prius. Also hoping it'll be a long time before I have the need to visit a filling station again!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Getting back in the Prius (3rd gen) felt like going back in time.
I had a gen3 Prius too. At the time I thought it the bees knees, but like you say, after a Leaf it felt outdated.

ps, it takes about 10 days to lose that strange expectation that the engine is going to fire up at about 10 mph when setting off. (y)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah that's still the weirdest bit though I won't miss the 'slipping clutch' and revving the 'taters off it sound when doing a quick overtake.
My Prius has now gone. Sold on Saturday. Need my leaf quickly now

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, schedule still for my new Leaf to be with the dealers on Monday and me to collect on Wednesday. Just going to go and sit in front of the clock again for a while....{sigh}

1 - 20 of 67 Posts