Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
For the record, there is no "right order" for connecting the ends of an untethered Level 2 charging cable - the standard allows for connecting either end first.

If it doesn't work both ways around, one of the devices is not compliant with the standards, probably the EVSE or cable as it's unlikely such a design flaw would make it to production in a car, especially something that has been around as long as the Leaf. Having to do it one way around should be considered a workaround for poorly designed equipment.

The comment made further up about ensuring a soft disconnect is correct though - if you have an EVSE where you can turn the power off at the source, either at the consumer unit in the case of a wall mounted unit, or at a 3 pin plug in the case of a portable (granny) EVSE, never turn the power off at the source while the car is plugged in charging.

Doing a "hard shutdown" like this enough times risks damage both to the car and the EVSE, and at the very least causes contactor arching in the EVSE. So ensure that the EVSE is powered on at the source before connecting the cable to the car, and likewise disconnect the car before turning the EVSE off at the source. (Although personally I would not turn a permanently connected hard wired EVSE off at the source on a regular basis, just leave it alone)

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Thanks. That's what I've been doing, with the exception that I turn the EVSE off at source because I currently only charge at home once a month. If left on, the unit outside emits a flashing light, which is largely why I turn it off. As I'm not regularly switching on and off, is this likely to cause any problems?
I can't imagine switching it off once a month would be a problem.

I was suggesting avoiding doing this on a daily basis, which is what some people seem to do. That just puts unnecessary wear and tear on the unit doing it so often. If you only use it once a month and the flashing light annoys you for the other 29 days, fair enough.

You'll save a tiny bit of energy due to not having the quiescent power use of the EVSE all those days when you aren't using it but that will be very small.

Strange that your unit has a flashing light when it's not in use - is it supposed to be like that ? I would find that a bit annoying too...

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Cheers. It's a 4-year old Rolec unit and has always flashed. When switched on there's a blue flashing circle, then it turns a solid green when you plug in the cable. I don't think there's any way to avoid it.
Ah yes, I remember someone else with an untethered Rolec saying the same.

I have a 2017 installed tethered Rolec charger - probably the same as yours but because it's tethered the cable can't be disconnected so it doesn't go into that flashing blue light mode.

If it really annoys you you could probably disconnect the wire for the blue LED while still leaving the green and red ones connected. (From memory there are three LED's in the same package - red, blue and green with a common return wire)

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
I thought the blue flashing light signified State A. To go to State B requires the controller to be able to see the car (CP at 9v), which would require the cable connected at both ends. There shouldn’t be a difference between tethered and untethered in that respect.
An unmodified tethered Rolec never goes into flashing blue mode. In the untethered version it's the connection of the cable that goes from flashing blue to solid blue, (doesn't matter if a car is connected or not) in the tethered model the cable is always connected, obviously.

I've modified my tethered unit to add a WiFi switch to the EN (enable) input of the controller, when this EN input is pulled high the blue light does flash, and this puts the unit into a standby mode where it defers charging even for a connected car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts