Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my LEAF to the local main agent for its next Minor service. I told them that whenever I apply the brakes for the first time in a new direction I hear a 'click', as if the brake pads are shifting in their locator. Their technician sat in the car whilst I demonstrated the 'click'. He said that was quite normal, and was indeed the brake pads shifting. I accepted that at the time but I've not known that happen on any other car I've driven. Doesn't seem right to me.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Lots of thoughts it is more likely to be slop on the drive shaft, to test this keep you foot planted on the brake pedal and toggle between forward and reverse if it still clicks it is drive shaft slop.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
The leaf pads have a stainless shim thing that the pads sit in, and its usually a very snug fit.

Infact so snug that when i did the pads recently, i had to file the carrier to clear out the corrosion to get the stainless shims to sit properly into position as otherwise the pads were impossible to install.

Perhaps those shims are missing?

·
Registered
941 Posts
That does sound like driveshafts. There's a nissan TSB for this issue. Drive the car in a circle on full-lock (both directions) and see if accel/decel without touching the brakes causes clicking. If so then it's driveshafts.

I've had brake pad rattle on ICE cars, so it's not impossible, but what you describe sounds more like the known driveshaft issue on the Leaf.They just need tightening up and greasing.

I had a totally seized pad on my Leaf - the inside pad on the OSF brake was totally stuck in the carrier because the pad ears and the carrier had both built up enough corrosion/muck/etc either side of the stainless shims that the pad was totally unable to move. I was able to get it out and clean everything up to free it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts