Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you advise me please im getting a leaf that only has the 3:3 kw charger not the 6:6 kw.

Im having a charge point is there any point in having the 32 amp or just go for the 16 amp.

·
Registered
621 Posts
With a 3.3 kW leaf,16 amp is the maximum it can charge at from home.

How long do you plan on having this leaf? 32 amp is a safer bet long term as pretty much all current and future EVs can charge at 32 amp and does make a significant difference for medium to high usage of the car... Maybe worth paying the small fee so it is effectively future proof. The government grant can only be used once per property.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
16A will charge at about 15miles/hour but you will need a type1/2 cable to charge at 16A on public charging posts.

At home you can install 32A but your car will only charge at 16A but you would then be all set for your upgrade to a car that takes 32A.

Edit - added bit about public charging and getting 32A at home :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks paul

Cant wait to get my new toy, funny how I dont really need one but i want one
Lol

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I went for 32A originally but as I still have my mk1 Leaf after 3 years I needn't have worried. I have since replaced the charging pod with a free one from British Gas and I went for 16A as I don't expect to get a car with 32A charger for a few years.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I too have a mK.1 leaf (16A) but opted to pay an extra £75 about a year ago to upgrade to 32A - it seemed a low extra cost to allow the flexibility of 32A if/when I changed cars (I have 3 yr lease, 1 left) or a friend visited.

I also went for a type 2 mennekes socket rather than a tethered cable. I did this on the basis that all public charge points are now moving in this direction, so any traveler who charges out and about would have the ability to connect. You will need a type 1 to type 2 cable to use with this of course.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
32A will future proof your installation and your next car will almost certainly have 32A charging. Given the small premium for 32A installation today then I'd just do it :)

As @planetf1 said, Type 2 socket is the ultimate future proofing scenario :D

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
The blob on the wall? irrelevant today really. The breaker and the supply feeding the blob? You want that to be 32A so when you get your next EV you can fit whatever 32A wall blob is appropriate. Or dare I even say so you can fit two 16A blobs on the wall and be a 2 EV household!

·
45 Posts
I too have been looking into the installation of a home EV Charger. It seems the OLEV (Office for Low Emission Vehicles) altered government grant available in March this year. The installation is no longer available for free as the grant only covers up to 75% of the cost with a cap of £500.

I've had several quotes and all are between £249 to £299. Most installers quoted the same cost for either a 16 amp or 32 amp charger and an installer local to me included the cost of either a tethered or socket Rolec unit.

I feel it'd be best to go for a 32 amp (7Kw) tethered charger, that way the type 2 cable can stay in the car.

See the following link for the list of approved installers as of May 2016
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/521651/electric-vehicle-home-charge-installers.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts