Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,604 Posts
There’s a standard question re sign off certs for any notifiable works.
You have skirted around (perhaps professionally skirted around .. what do you do?) my point;

Replacing a socket is NOT notifiable work.

NOT.

As in .. NOT notifiable.

An interlock ceeform is an ALLOWED socket.

Swapping an ALLOWED socket for another ALLOWED socket is, if I erred to mention, NOT notifiable.

What is your anguish over this? I suspect you are some electrician who feels put out of a job or something?

So why are you still on that song track?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
832 Posts
You have skirted around (perhaps professionally skirted around .. what do you do?) my point;

NOT.

As in .. NOT notifiable.

Swapping an ALLOWED socket for another ALLOWED socket is, if I erred to mention, NOT notifiable.

What is your anguish over this? I suspect you are some electrician who feels put out of a job or something?

I thought you were only allowed to replace “like for like” and that proviso excludes special locations, of which outdoors is one?

I may be wrong, just something I read?

·
Registered
363 Posts
What protection is offered under the current regulations to users of class 1 (earthed) appliances outdoors, e.g. on their drive or in the garden?

·
Registered
317 Posts

NOT.

As in .. NOT notifiable.

Why are you still on the ‘I don’t care if I electrocute someone as long as I do my own thing’ track?

We segued from installing a new commando for an Ohme lead into swapping a 13A for one (as you well know) as you tried desperately to find a loophole door where you could wedge your foot.

·
27,604 Posts
I thought you were only allowed to replace “like for like” and that proviso excludes special locations, of which outdoors is one?

I may be wrong, just something I read?
You might well be right, I was just hoping someone might actually quote some real text to make the case solid, rather than just keep throwing rocks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
You might well be right, I was just hoping someone might actually quote some real text to make the case solid, rather than just keep throwing rocks!
Outdoors isn’t a special location these days unless there’s an EV or a hot tub involved or esoteric stuff like metal outbuildings.

·
27,604 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you already had a 32a commando socket in your house or at another location, would you then need to get it rewired before you plug your car charger in?

·
27,604 Posts
If you already had a 32a commando socket in your house or at another location, would you then need to get it rewired before you plug your car charger in?
Simpler than that, I asked this guy what about the charge points that were installed before a dedicated ground appeared in the regs?

Yeah, he's not bothered to answer that either so don't expect one for your own question.

"OMG! YOU'RE USING A CHARGE POINT WITHOUT ITS OWN GROUND!!" Well, yeah, that is how it was installed 8 years ago. Amazingly, it hasn't killed me yet.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
D'you mean 'no'?

Question; has anyone ever, in the whole world, noticed their car gives them an electric shock while charging, let alone killed them?
It's about plausible, forseeable siations, not whether it has actually occurred. I've seen some HSE stats quoted of about 400 reported PEN faults per year, so it does happen.
I have a vague recollection of reading about one actual inury or fatality , I think maybe it was Norway, where wet snow could easily be an aggravating factor

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Just doing a little Googling and the chances of being killed by a broken PEN seem to be in lotto jackpot territory. There are a few not very big holes in the cheese slices to get aligned.

The DC protection is probably the more concerning issue and the advent of more affordable RCDs to cover that would be good.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts