Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
It's about plausible, forseeable siations, not whether it has actually occurred. I've seen some HSE stats quoted of about 400 reported PEN faults per year, so it does happen.
I have a vague recollection of reading about one actual inury or fatality , I think maybe it was Norway, where wet snow could easily be an aggravating factor
Hi,

Out of interest. I charge the EV indoors, chargepoint located inside garage, does that have different requirements from an outside installation? I only ask as considering the commando ohme vs the type 2 version. Cheers

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
552 Posts
I charge the EV indoors, chargepoint located inside garage, does that have different requirements from an outside installation?
Yes. You are unlikely to be soaked through and standing in a puddle of water, which would increase the electrocution risk.

With the car and charger indoors, the risk is similar to if the same disconnected supply neutral (PEN fault) occurred and you touched the earthed metal chassis of your gas boiler indoors. With that fault having occurred, the gas boiler chassis would (probably) be live, in the same way that the body of the EV would be live. But we don't put special disconnect circuitry on every conducting electrical item in a house.

Our EVSE was fitted (inside the garage) before the change to the regulations requiring a TT earth for the EVSE or other disconnection arrangements. It has a LED on it which it shows if it is connected to supply. One simple way to minimise the risk of a PEN fault is to check that the light is on before touching anything. If it is off, one reason might be a PEN fault (or the supply could be down or the RCB could have tripped or ...). We can run the cable under the garage door frame and charge outside. I do check the light if it is raining.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,604 Posts
Hi,

Out of interest. I charge the EV indoors, chargepoint located inside garage, does that have different requirements from an outside installation? I only ask as considering the commando ohme vs the type 2 version. Cheers
The regulations for EV charge points is different indoors to outdoors.

Makes zero sense of course if you can charge your car outside from a socket inside. Regulations are just arbitrary and unspecific on a dozen points like that.

Sometimes one wonders if regulations are deliberately written in an arbitrary and ambiguous way so self-righteous trades people and lawyers/judges can insist they are always right, whatever random conclusion they make.

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
832 Posts
I lived in a flat in my 20’s that wasn’t earthed properly.

If Intouched the body of the electric cooker when on or my metal espresso machine I got a really strong Current, more that just a tingle, it was really uncomfortable and a bit painful to touch it.

Is that a PEN fault?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The regulations for EV charge points is different indoors to outdoors.
The regulations say that a charge point that could reasonably be expected to be used to charge a car standing outside should be installed to the 'outside' regs.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Is that a PEN fault?
Probably not.
These PEN faults are on the outside of the property - on the cable feeding up to the meter where (in a TN-C-S, aka PME system) the Protective Earth and Neutral are the same bit of wire. When they occur most electrical equipment in the home will stop working.

Yours was probably just dodgy wiring in the flat. But it does illustrate that 240V shocks are not often directly fatal - other factors need to be in play, like being 30 ft up a ladder at the time :eek: .

·
27,604 Posts
The regulations say that a charge point that could reasonably be expected to be used to charge a car standing outside should be installed to the 'outside' regs.
Thanks for the clarification. I have not seen a version of the latest regulations.

(I kept asking, if you noticed above, and didn't see to get an offer to show me.)

·
27,604 Posts
I lived in a flat in my 20’s that wasn’t earthed properly.

If Intouched the body of the electric cooker when on or my metal espresso machine I got a really strong Current, more that just a tingle, it was really uncomfortable and a bit painful to touch it.

Is that a PEN fault?
Don't know but it sounds like an opportunity to fix up a boost-converter for some free electricity! ;)

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
832 Posts
Probably not.
These PEN faults are on the outside of the property - on the cable feeding up to the meter where (in a TN-C-S, aka PME system) the Protective Earth and Neutral are the same bit of wire. When they occur most electrical equipment in the home will stop working.

Yours was probably just dodgy wiring in the flat. But it does illustrate that 240V shocks are not often directly fatal - other factors need to be in play, like being 30 ft up a ladder at the time :eek: .
I tried salting and wetting my hand one day out of interest....... that was a painful tingle!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
832 Posts
Don't know but it sounds like an opportunity to fix up a boost-converter for some free electricity! ;)
I was reading about the main fuse as noticed my sparky pulled it and the seal is ripped.

Looking online some people apparently try to wire into the main fuse cutout for free power!!!

I couldn’t imaging anyone risking their like for a few quid!!! Crazy! o_O

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Looking online some people apparently try to wire into the main fuse cutout for free power!!!
Makes eminent sense if you are already doing something illegal and need a lot of power to do it. Why tip of the Police by letting the 'leccy company know that you are suddenly using an unreasonable amount of power? :rolleyes: 🍁

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Out of just the usual interest:- What's the going 'risk-you-life-for-money' rate? How much?
A Junior soldier in the British Army starts on £14,555. :devilish: But lots of gang members get less. :eek:

·
27,604 Posts
A Junior soldier in the British Army starts on £14,555. :devilish: But lots of gang members get less. :eek:
Why would the Army pay gang members less, and how can they tell?

Those bl00dy officers all camped out in the mess, in gangs. heh. Definitely pay them less!

81 - 96 of 96 Posts