Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve now had a 32A commando socket fitted, to the spec the OHME manual recommends, and I’ve tried out the OHME unit with the e-Golf this evening.

Is anybody else finding the unit extremely sensitive to set charging?

The manual says to connect and power up at the wall socket first, then connect the car. Initially, about 2 out of every 3 times, the OHME unit tripped, indicating an electrical fault.

By switching the Commando power off, disconnecting the car and then trying again with a swift insertion (oo er!) it usually clicks and then charging starts.

I now seem to have mastered a method for making it work 4 times out of 5, just wondered if this is just the units belt and braces approach to making sure I don’t get electrocuted?!

My standard e-Golf granny works 100% of the time when I insert the Type 2, at any speed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I leave mine plugged into the commando socket but and have both turned it on before and once it is plugged into the car. Not had it reset yet.

It does start charging straight away until the charge schedule arrives from the app, then it goes into smart charging mode and goes back to sleep until the planned charging time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve now had a 32A commando socket fitted, to the spec the OHME manual recommends, and I’ve tried out the OHME unit with the e-Golf this evening.

Is anybody else finding the unit extremely sensitive to set charging?

The manual says to connect and power up at the wall socket first, then connect the car. Initially, about 2 out of every 3 times, the OHME unit tripped, indicating an electrical fault.

By switching the Commando power off, disconnecting the car and then trying again with a swift insertion (oo er!) it usually clicks and then charging starts.

I now seem to have mastered a method for making it work 4 times out of 5, just wondered if this is just the units belt and braces approach to making sure I don’t get electrocuted?!

My standard e-Golf granny works 100% of the time when I insert the Type 2, at any speed.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Hi Tooks,

If you email me at [email protected] or to our helpdesk at [email protected] we can certainly look into this.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Tooks,

If you email me at [email protected] or to our helpdesk at [email protected] we can certainly look into this.

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply, both to my post and my email.

My new unit arrived today, and works just as I expected.

Thanks for the great service, and to anybody else reading, OHME stand behind their product and I can highly recommend their customer support.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So this portable Ohme 32A Command box seemed like a brilliant solution. However (only) at the very last step of first switching to Octopus and then ordering that does it become clear that 3/4G connectivity is required. We want to use this cable on our travels, including abroad, and don't want to be tied in to any internet connectivity requirement. Furthermore, it would suggest that if we used it elsewhere, Octopus would still be measuring and therefore charging us for the electricity used? It would also mean that being able to charge into the future would rely on Octopus staying in business and its servers continuously working.
Am I missing something, or maybe I'm unusual in the purposes I want to use it for (but then why sell a PORTABLE unit?)
Daan

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Internet connectivity is required for smart charging, but you can charge manually without it. The Ohme smart charging works with other providers, and you can create others.
The 3/4G issue is to avoid the requirement to link to WiFi and give you portability, but is limiting if there is none where you are as you will not be able to use the app.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Oh, Octopus do not read from the Ohme, only the other way with Ohme reading the Octopus Agile tariff published daily in advance. So that cannot charge you if you charge elsewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply. Can you explain what you mean with "manual charging"? Several other, similar, units seem to have buttons at the front to select current/charging time. The manual for this Ohme device seems to suggest no connectivity = no charging, see https://www.ezoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Ohme-Cable-Product-Manual-v1.0.pdf
Do you have one? Is it possible to open up and actually remove the SIM and then it still works?
Daan

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
It works the opposite way around to the way that you think. It turns on first, begins charging then the app turns it off (if you have set a time of use provider). If it cannot get a signal it continues to charge (possibly at a high cost but at least you are getting one).
I have not opened one up so cannot comment on the effects of removing the sim card. There is a video from @mikeselectricstuff which may show it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank for further explanation. It does sound like without connectivity it is not possible to set charging rate and it may default to 32A. Not useful on a remote campsite abroad.
Daan

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank for further explanation. It does sound like without connectivity it is not possible to set charging rate and it may default to 32A. Not useful on a remote campsite abroad.
Daan
Mine has never connected via 3/4G, but then it just works as a ‘dumb’ charger out of the box.

For campsite charging, won’t your cars granny charger be more suitable?

Or, and not sure if your car can do this, vary the charge rate from the vehicle?

To be fair, the Ohme cable is about turning dumb charge points into smart ones to save money/manage loading, it’s a very narrow use case to expect it to seamlessly work abroad with an unknown Amperage campsite power supply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why would you want a separate granny charger if you can get a 32A Commando portable charger with adjustable current (some of the others (i.e. Kohn, Zencar) have buttons that allow you to set current as low as 6A), combined with EU 2 pin, UK 3 pin, 16A Commando adapters?
Daan

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why would you want a separate granny charger if you can get a 32A Commando portable charger with adjustable current (some of the others (i.e. Kohn, Zencar) have buttons that allow you to set current as low as 6A), combined with EU 2 pin, UK 3 pin, 16A Commando adapters?
Daan
Me, personally? My granny charger lives under the boot floor of my car and it’s 10A would be more suited to campsite charging here or abroad. If I needed lower than that, I’d use the car to reduce the max charging current.

The Kohn and Zencar both have the option to reduce charge rate at the box, as you say, but the RCD protection isn’t as good as that on the Ohme, and I was unsure of the warranty backup.

You pays your money and all that, but £200 via the Octopus deal seems pretty good value to me. I purchased mine independently, I had no desire to switch energy suppliers to get the £200 deal.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just popped out to the car, and set max charge rate to 5A, then pressed the charge now button by the charging flap. Bingo, drawing only 1.1kW.

No App or connectivity required.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
That's on the car presumably. I think that you cannot set via the Ohme officially although you could in theory add a resistance across the proximity pins to achieve this (this is not advice - do not try this at home unless you understand the risks and are qualified to do so).

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The Kohn and Zencar versions are less safe, offer no smart functions (which I appreciate that you may not value) and more expensive than than the Ohme through Octopus. It is up to you to select the one that best fits your requirements.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's on the car presumably. I think that you cannot set via the Ohme officially although you could in theory add a resistance across the proximity pins to achieve this (this is not advice - do not try this at home unless you understand the risks and are qualified to do so).
Yes, I could have been clearer, I selected the 5A charge rate in the car.

Setting the charge rate in the car is the work of a few moments, so I don’t see it as a downside personally.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts