Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to set up commando socket for use with OHME cable to charge EV at home. Is there any reason why I can't use one of these for occasional charging in an emergency when away from home to avoid needing to buy a separate 3 pin granny charging cable?W4 Mains Hook Up Adaptor UK | Halfords UK

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
That type of adapter works if the ohme cable can be switched down to 10 amps which I believe it can. Be careful though there are 2 types of Commando plugs in blue, 16A and 32A, the Halfords one is probably a 16A socket version
CPC do a 16A Version but not a 32A type. Google should find a 32A one, if not you need to make one up.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
387 Posts
That's a 16A adapter in the picture. Won't physically fit a 32A Commando plug.

The 32A cable will draw 32A and can't be used with a normal 3 pin (13A) socket.

Even the 16A version of the OHME cable will draw too much current for a 13A socket unless you can tell the car to dial down the current. I don't know how that adapter can be sold really, since it encourages people to plug a 16A load into a 13A socket!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The OHME manual suggests the current is controlled by the mains input cable - so the 13A plug version defaults to 10A etc. Contact OHM and see if it can be dialed down from 32A to 10A. if not forget it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm awaiting a reply from ohme via email. The manual suggests will adjust to draw to at least 16a anyway.

20200928_120838.jpg

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The sockets at caravan parks are 16A Commando, so the 32A Commando plug will not fit in such locations.

It is only the Type 2 connector that has the ability to instruct your car to automatically 'dial down' the current drawn.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
387 Posts
I'm awaiting a reply from ohme via email. The manual suggests will adjust to draw to at least 16a anyway.
The bit you've circled refers to a Type 2 OHME cable. Because it plugs into a proper chargepoint, the chargepoint will tell the OHME what it can supply, and the OHME will only take what it's allowed (up to a maximum of 32A and a maximum of what the car asks for!). When your Type 2 socket is installed, its maximum supply will have been set by the installer. (Although, for extra complexity, if it's something like a Zappi charger, that maximum itself will vary, depending on what else is being used in the house/ how much solar is being produced!

It doesn't apply to a Commando or 13A version, where the OHME will NOT automatically guess what the supply is capable of. You can ask OHME to remotely limit the current draw of one of those, but it's not something you can chop and change frequently.

Reactions: phproxy

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
573 Posts
I've just contacted OHME to ask this very question and they're clear their units can't do this, which is a shame as it would be a really useful feature.

As to the 13a to 16a adapter, there are many situations when the commando style 16a connectors are used for being rugged and (sorta) waterproof rather than necessarily to carry a high load. As with any industrial connector the requirement is on the user to know what they're doing. I've used adaptors like this frequently in live sound applications.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
387 Posts
It's odd that something can be sold which screams "Plug a 16A load into me" (it even says 16A on the label) when it can only ever handle 13A. It seems like asking for trouble to me! But appreciate that it may be useful for some.

My parents have a 10m extension lead with no earth. Seems absolutely bonkers that anyone ever thought that was a good idea, or even that it's legal to sell it.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
573 Posts
It's odd that something can be sold which screams "Plug a 16A load into me" (it even says 16A on the label) when it can only ever handle 13A. It seems like asking for trouble to me! But appreciate that it may be useful for some.

My parents have a 10m extension lead with no earth. Seems absolutely bonkers that anyone ever thought that was a good idea, or even that it's legal to sell it.
You're probably right. It's only ever the rating of the connector though.... Just because the connector can handle a load, doesn't mean the circuit can. I've come across plenty of 10A extension leads with two 13A sockets..... Once found one getting quite warm with a couple of 2.5KW burco boilers hanging off it. Still, never seen one with no earth.... at least not deliberately.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,018 Posts
It could make a good YouTube video?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
294 Posts
You're probably right. It's only ever the rating of the connector though.... Just because the connector can handle a load, doesn't mean the circuit can. I've come across plenty of 10A extension leads with two 13A sockets..... Once found one getting quite warm with a couple of 2.5KW burco boilers hanging off it. Still, never seen one with no earth.... at least not deliberately.
I'm sure a lot of garden appliances (eg hedge trimmers etc) only used to have live and neutral in the lead (or used to anyway), my old man used to make extension leads out of these when the tools broke instead of throwing the lead away too!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Loads of extension cables without earth designated for double insulated garden kit. Often a nice gaudy orange.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The 13A plug to 16A commando leads are commonly used for connecting up caravans/campers at home, as they won’t require 16A. The 13A fuse in the plug protects against significant overload. 13A plug to 32A socket leads are mainly used for Portable Appliance Testing.

It’s a shame that you can’t manually dial the charge rate. Older Tesla’s came with a 32A plug and we developed an adaptor to enable it to be connected to 16A sockets and dialled down. It included a thermal resettable fuse to ensure that it cut out if someone ever forgot to reduce the charge current- as completely agree, issues should Be engineered out where possible.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
294 Posts
Loads of extension cables without earth designated for double insulated garden kit. Often a nice gaudy orange.
Yeah I tried to use one whilst charging a Leaf I had on test, the charge brick was having none of it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts