Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just a quick question to see if anyone can help,

I purchased a 32A Commando to Type 2 charger (portable) from EvOneStop in March for charging in work, the charger worked great for the first 2 months, probably performed around 10 cycles at 32A, one day it tripped out but I hadn't noticed until it was time to go home, I put it down to just being unlucky.

However about 3 weeks ago it started doing it anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes into the charge, but only when charging at 32A, once i select 16A it charges without any issues, I have tried this across multiple sockets (each on its own trip) and the result is the same, I had originally thought it might be overheating, however I monitored the temperature reading on the charging display and it tripped at 26.4*C, so I am no longer thinking for this reason.

I have been in contact with them, however they have been extremely slow and seem to want to push the blame towards the electrics in the building, if it wasn't for the fact I had months without any issues and that the issue now happens all the time across multiple outlets then I would maybe think the same, my charging is done at off peak when the only thing in work being used is a couple of computers and lights.

While I understand some time has passed, I have asked them for details of a warranty or who I can contact about it, but it would be faster sending a carrier pigeon on their responses.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? Unfortunately I have nowhere else to test it at

Happens with both my ZE22 and ZE50.

Thanks,

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,835 Posts
Ah, Zoe.

What RCD/RCBO do you have on the consumer unit side? It could also be an earthing issue.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
680 Posts
one day it tripped out
Just to be certain, exactly what is tripping? I guess you mean it's the MCB/RCBO in the consumer unit. But it could be the portable EVSE, or the car stopping charging.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Hi All,

Just a quick question to see if anyone can help,

I purchased a 32A Commando to Type 2 charger (portable) from EvOneStop in March for charging in work, the charger worked great for the first 2 months, probably performed around 10 cycles at 32A, one day it tripped out but I hadn't noticed until it was time to go home, I put it down to just being unlucky.

However about 3 weeks ago it started doing it anywhere from 2 minutes to 20 minutes into the charge, but only when charging at 32A, once i select 16A it charges without any issues, I have tried this across multiple sockets (each on its own trip) and the result is the same, I had originally thought it might be overheating, however I monitored the temperature reading on the charging display and it tripped at 26.4*C, so I am no longer thinking for this reason.

I have been in contact with them, however they have been extremely slow and seem to want to push the blame towards the electrics in the building, if it wasn't for the fact I had months without any issues and that the issue now happens all the time across multiple outlets then I would maybe think the same, my charging is done at off peak when the only thing in work being used is a couple of computers and lights.

While I understand some time has passed, I have asked them for details of a warranty or who I can contact about it, but it would be faster sending a carrier pigeon on their responses.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing it? Unfortunately I have nowhere else to test it at

Happens with both my ZE22 and ZE50.

Thanks,
The EVONESTOP charger is not fit for purpose, demand your money back ( and replace with a quality item from OHME).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, Zoe.

What RCD/RCBO do you have on the consumer unit side? It could also be an earthing issue.
I would have to look, but each socket has its own trip switch, sorry not great with terminology..

Just to be certain, exactly what is tripping? I guess you mean it's the MCB/RCBO in the consumer unit. But it could be the portable EVSE, or the car stopping charging.
Trip switch in with the rest of the buildings trips (again, not great with terminology..) nothing else causes the trips, its happened on 2 different cars, yet it is happening more and more often which makes me think its the charger.

The EVONESTOP charger is not fit for purpose, demand your money back ( and replace with a quality item from OHME).
Can i ask why? I am in contact with their support now, but they are sh!t, i think I am outside of a potential refund due to the time that has passed though...

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
680 Posts
... which makes me think its the charger.
If I understand correctly, you work somewhere that has a number of 32A commando sockets. You plug your portable EVSE into any of the commando sockets and it trips after a period at 32A, but never at 16A. You've not tried it at any other site - you don't have a 32A commando socket at home? Is that correct?

First of all, the portable EVSE isn't a charger. It's just an intelligent switch that communicates with the car, tells the car what current it (and the cable) can supply, and then closes a couple of switches to connect live and neutral to the car. It has some electronics in it, but very low power. It would be surprising if there was a fault in it that adds sufficient current to trip an MCB when supplying 32A but that doesn't trip when supplying 16A.

I suggest you post a photo of the device that is tripping, which will tell us what it is, the current rating and its trip modes. That might give some hint at what is going on.

Secondly, an earthing fault would normally cause the ZOE to refuse to start charging, or possibly (I guess) stop charging. It wouldn't trip the MCB.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If the circuit is supplied by a 32A breaker then it's possible that either the breaker is on its way out, or there is a loose connection to it causing heating which results in it tripping

1 - 7 of 7 Posts