Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had a 32A (7kW) charger installed. I mainly signed up for it to future proof myself whilst government grants and installer discounts apply. I know it will only reduce the charge time of my car from about 3 hours to 2.

I have just plugged my 330e in but it's difficult to tell if it is doing anything. There is no indicator that I can see and no buttons to press. No instruction book was left. More worryingly, the usual coloured ring around the charge socket on the car doesn't seem to show up. The only indication that charging is taking place is that my electricity meter seems to be flashing quite rapidly and there are no other major current draws on the system.

I know my current car cannot take any advantage from a 32Amp charger over a 16Amp one but it can use the higher rated unit. Does anyone know if the charge rate impacts on the coloured indicator on the car?

·
Registered
234 Posts
What charger did you have installed? Did the installer not test it before he left as he should have done to complete the paperwork? Did he leave off any isolating switches?

According to the driver's guide: To check charging state, press the BMW roundel button of the remote control. The charge state is shown on the indicator lamp (the corona ring on the car charge point). Do you have the BMW Connected App linked to the car as it should show on there also.

·
9,719 Posts
More worryingly, the usual coloured ring around the charge socket on the car doesn't seem to show up.
It's not charging then, that indicator shows for the first 10mins of charging cycle or 1min after locking the car (or thereabouts)

Also if you can pull the connector out without unlocking its also a good indication of not charging.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can now update this post.

Although no lights were showing on the car, it did charge up, just as the flashing of my electricity meter suggested.

If you get into the car with the lead still attached, there is a charge indicator on the instrument panel.

Interestingly, when I went to unplug the car, the blue ring around the charge point did light up.

I'll have to test this a few more times yet, but initial indications are that the normal lights don't show up when fast charging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts