Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitted today by GSL Contracting Ltd, Wigan on Friday.
32A Rolec with a 10m tether.
£485 after the OLEV grant despite me routing the armoured cable from fuse box, under floor to my preferred location. (I just need to re-point the air-brick!)

I did quite a bit of research, making enquiries with 20 companies but this ticked all the boxes.
The main factor after cost was having a lead >7m.
The default for most is 5m but no good if you reverse-park a 4.8m car and the charge-port is in the front grille - VW Passat GTE.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
With mine, i got a standard rolec fitted with the grant, and then bought a longer cable myself and swapped it out.

I had a similar issue, though at opposite ends of the car. The charge port on my B250e was at the rear where the fuel flap would normally be, additionally i wanted the charger on the rear wall of the house, out of sight, so some extra length was needed to get round the corner.

The New OLEV rules about the smart stuff seem to really have jacked up the costs recently though :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
That's just the same as mine and at a very similar price. All working OK?

When mine was initially installed with a 10m cable the charger wouldn't recognise that it was plugged into a car. This was on both the i3S and my E350e which pointed to a charger/cable problem. Rolec were telling the installer there was no problem with the charger, EV Enegry were saying nothing wrong with the app and the installer didn't have a clue why it wouldn't work! No one wanted to take ownership. Eventually, after lots of chasing, the installer fitted a 5m cable to test whether it could be the 10m cable, which apparently hadn't been fitted on this charger before. Turns out it was the problem and a different type of 10m cable was fitted, I assume with some additional feed for comms with the car. Net result was nearly 3 weeks from installation to having a working charger.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's just the same as mine and at a very similar price. All working OK?

When mine was initially installed with a 10m cable the charger wouldn't recognise that it was plugged into a car. This was on both the i3S and my E350e which pointed to a charger/cable problem. Rolec were telling the installer there was no problem with the charger, EV Enegry were saying nothing wrong with the app and the installer didn't have a clue why it wouldn't work! No one wanted to take ownership. Eventually, after lots of chasing, the installer fitted a 5m cable to test whether it could be the 10m cable, which apparently hadn't been fitted on this charger before. Turns out it was the problem and a different type of 10m cable was fitted, I assume with some additional feed for comms with the car. Net result was nearly 3 weeks from installation to having a working charger.
Thanks for posting Cabbage Patch
Looks like I might have the same issue. :cry:

Took delivery of Passat GTE today. :love:
Topped-up at work using a socketed charger. No problems.

Plugged into the Rolec at home and nothing happens. :unsure: The Rolec light remains solid blue, which for a tethered unit means 'Ready for Smart Charging'.
I tried re-setting the Rolec using the RCD in the house, and yes I pushed the switch down before re-engaging it in the up position. Rolec light went red (connecting to cloud) before going blue.
Also, I haven’t switched on smart charging in the ev.energy app, so it’s not as if it will only supply charge during a given time-window.

I'm also familiar with timed-charge and immediate-charge on the Passat.
Now using the 10A granny charger from a 3-pin socket in the lounge :mad:

Looks like Rolec have a short memory or different divisions aren't talking to each other.
Is there anything specific I can remind them about your issues? Is there a name for the new cable they used? What part of the country are you in? I'm in Southport.

·
Registered
671 Posts
What is the spec of your current cable (should be printed on it)? Most likely causes are too much voltage drop on the signal lines (needs a cable with more copper in the signal lines) or too much interference on the signal lines (needs cable with different layup or better screening). Suggest you ask Cabbage Patch what is printed on his cable - photo shows the spec of the 8 metre cable on my Zappi charger.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Hi, if you wind the cable around the Rolec as shown in your photo, you will drastically shorten the life of that 10m cable

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry, just seen this. I couldn't get a decent pic of the cable in the dark. All the specs printed on my cable are the same as yours but where yours says 'BESEN INT....' mine says '3QCABLE'.

Checking emails from last summer when the charger was fitted I was told by the installer that 'it has come to light that there is a possible issue with part of the signal side of these leads' after he spoke to Rolec.

I have contact details for the guy at Rolec as he got in touch directly and was very helpful. I won’t post his details on the forum but if you PM me we can talk about it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tried the Passat on a mate’s Pod Point and it started charging straight away.
He brought his Mini round and tried it on the Rolec with no joy.

GSL will be seeking further advice from Rolec in the morning.

Mini charge-port should change from white to orange when charging.
Rolec status light was solid blue throughout.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Check to see if you have 12v DC between CP and earth pins on the plug.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The installer visited yesterday while I was at work.
Using the Rolec test meter he put the charger under load (ie plugging a car in), the LED on the charger turned green and he could hear the internal switching.
He got 3 red pass lights on his meter.

Still not charging my Passat (nor my friend’s Mini)
In the meantime my car has successfully taken charge from TESCO Pod Point, EVlink and Pod Point at work and a friend’s tethered Pod Point.

I've also been in touch with ev.energy but as long as I have Smart Charging switched off it has no influence over the charger. I’ve disabled any scheduled charging in the car’s infotainment.

A dual rate tariff doesn't work out that much cheaper for me and if I needed schedule charging, I can do it in the cars infotainment system which also has the option to pre-heat/cool the interior whilst hooked-up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Matjaz
Thanks for your suggestion but max current is already selected in the infotainment.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
@M777KES - Surely this is the responsibility of the installer, GSL, to sort out. You have paid them to supply and fit a charger that will function to charge your car. They have not done that. The unit they fitted has also failed to charge your friends car. Both of those cars will accept a charge from an alternative charger. The fact that their own test gizmo shows that all is well does not trump the fact that in real life it isn't.

My suspicion is that the gremlin is caused by the longer cable. Perhaps some extra resistance caused by a longer run of the signal wire is preventing the car from detecting a correct connection. We know from other cars that such detection systems can cause charge issues. I think that a 5m cable replacing the 10m one would sort this out. But as that doesn't suit your requirements they must find a solution.

I would be on the phone hourly until they sort it out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I totally agree Hitstirrer. With no or little support from Rolec, GSL have offered to replace it with a socketed Pod Point and provide a 10m cable at no extra cost.

The Rolec test meter is either giving false positives or is not mimicking a vehicle properly.

After doing a lot of researching I’d settled on the Rolec and they claim to have sold lots of these units with 10m tethers with no apparent problems so I’m prepared to give them a chance to rectify it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rolec have been in touch and will be sending out a new controller for GSL to fit early next week.
I'll keep you updated.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts