Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Been a 330e owner now for 2 months, and thought I’d share some thoughts on the car for anyone looking at one.

67 plate 330e cost £18500 with 19k on the clock. Was ready to change from my A3 Cab TDI back to a 3 series. It was always going to be a 3, but originally set about looking at 320i’s due to the uncertainty around diesel in city centres. However I did some research on the 330e, saw the combined power and acceleration, and also thought it about time to test out the validity of a PHEV for my daily driver.

2 months in, can safely say it’s a fabulous car to drive, either in sport mode using all available power (and leaving most hot hatches behind) and also in eco pro electric mode with near instant power on demand.

Efficiency has been excellent too. Like many others I will say do not drive this car as an EV. It’s at its best when it decides what to use and when. Yes, on EV alone I’m lucky to get 18-19 in total, but rarely do I do that. Mostly in Auto mode, then I find that over a 100 mile journey for instance, about 30-35 miles may have been electric.

MPG is often a moot point due to different journeys and commutes etc... but in my example commuting from York to Leeds - 22miles in total, outward journey 12 miles electric, combined mpg @170 depending on weather, return journey @65 mpg using up the rest of the charge. Really quite impressed. Typical miles per tank of £40 = 700.

Today was a family trip to the wildlife park, giving the family SUV a break. Mainly motorway miles, but even still a fully laden car with 3 children, 2 adults and luggage doing mainly petrol miles managed just under 60mpg both ways, and often the right foot wasn’t too light...

Full sport mode is an absolute hoot, when you want it, but warning you’ll not see the petrol last long though!

All in all I feel it’s a terrific car, the later G20 must be a nice step on too... Just drive it as a hybrid not EV, try not to use Battery Save as it’s a waste of time and fuel, and only use Max eDrive if you want to use up electric miles towards the end of your journey.

Whether or not I go full EV next time depends on whether the 3 has gone all electric, or the i4 is in anyway affordable. I really missed the rear wheel handling and driving in the A3 so I’m sticking with BMW for a little while yet...

Hope this is a useful post, would be interesting to see others opinions on the 330e ‘mark 1’.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Enjoyed reading that, as it pretty much mirrors my own experience. Monday to Friday, I can pretty much get away with not striking the engine up, but most days I can't help myself as there is a nice country road where, in sports/manual, brightens up the commute ;)

We've had a couple of family holidays in it - Sheffield to Cornwall and also to Norfolk. Most of the time, with no EV miles I was getting approx 50mpg which I was more than happy with.

No faults so far, but I have taken out extended warranty anyway so should be ok. It is heavily spec'd so is a very nice place to be.

My fuel bills have tumbled, coming from a 330d xDrive, where it could no longer be efficient due to the low mileage I started to do.

My only worry is when it comes to moving it on. I intend to keep it for another year or so and by that time it'll be close to 60k and the batteries are only warranted up to this amount. I like the idea of either a G20 or the X3e next. Think I will stay with PHEV rather than going for BEV for the time being.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked whether the extended warranty covers the KLe? Think that’s pretty expensive should it go wrong out of warranty. It’s the main reason I’m looking at extending warranty next June.

Like you I can say I’ve had some commutes brightened up with the different drive modes. Usually the best ones where you don’t really care about MPG, there’s more to life than that anyway!

Already know it’s the g20 next after this pcp is up, though the new shape hasn’t grown on me just yet. Or at a push BEV if BMW have got an affordable model that keeps the spirit of the 3 series going...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts